cavemanzk
17th Dec 2014, 17:05
End of QF Tasman ex-WLG?

FO_cloudbuster
17th Dec 2014, 18:03
I don't think QF do WLG anyway.

burty
17th Dec 2014, 19:12
Qantas might not but Jetconnect do. Record load factors on QF across the Tasman ex WLG, so no, no reduction to MEL in spite of the recent JQ additions.

Taggert
17th Dec 2014, 20:15
When Virgin attempted OOL to PH in the early days,(bad idea)from memory it was a flop due to uplift restrictions.
What's the 320's payload like with 5-6hrs of gas on board plus reserves, as would be the case when the westerlies are a blowing?

chickendrummer
17th Dec 2014, 20:37
OOL - PER used to be flown along with BNE - PER as well. Strong westerlies required a fuel stop in MEL.

Snakecharma
17th Dec 2014, 21:03
OOL-PER by virgin was a cockup because no one in commercial bothered to check with operations about whether it was possible, the mind numbing logic being that Brisbane to perth was ok, so why wasn't cooly to perth?

Subtle things like a significantly shorter runway were over their head.

Since then (that was many years ago) commercial has become more enlightened and the runway has been lengthened.

This keeps being dragged up time and time again but it was a learning opportunity for many people that wasn't missed.

jarden
17th Dec 2014, 23:26
I wonder if WLG short runway will also force a weight restriction on the new flights to OOL .

Goat Whisperer
18th Dec 2014, 00:43
I wonder if WLG short runway will also force a weight restriction on the new flights to OOL .

Firstly: there's no WLG-OOL flight on the list
Secondly: if can aircraft can take off from WLG and make it to BNE, it can make it to OOL.

Gate_15L
18th Dec 2014, 01:51
Firstly: there's no WLG-OOL flight on the list

Goat, They're flying JQ168, WLG-OOL, 3 times a week at the moment..

Probably depends if they're doing a RNP departure off 34 in WLG as to restrictions, as that RNP escape engine out procedure can buy you 1-2 extra tonnes, depending on aircraft type.

I imagine not having to take 60 minutes of traffic holding fuel for Brisbane won't hurt either...;)

BNEA320
18th Dec 2014, 02:08
as well as reintroducing OOL/ZQN (this time 3 times per week), QF has increased BNE/ZQN to twice a week JUN-SEP.

The old OOL/ZQN was a disaster 5 or 6 years ago, when they did 2 flights a week in winter only.

With our dollar diving, NZL prices will go up, which might slow the rush to ZQN.

OneDotLow
18th Dec 2014, 03:20
YBCS-WADD and YBCS - YPPH are within 2nm of each other. Why would there be additional overnights? It would just be another back of the clock return, wouldn't it?

This is JQ...:hmm:

slice
18th Dec 2014, 05:05
JQ90 CNS 22:50 DPS 01:30
JQ91 DPS 02:20 CNS 08:55

Looks like it - duty 11:35 BOC :{

framer
18th Dec 2014, 06:03
That would be a killer for me. I'd need two days off to recover. Very glad the route structure at my outfit doesn't include that sort of pairing.

neville_nobody
18th Dec 2014, 07:13
So CASA is going around telling everyone they need a Fatigue Management system yet the one of biggest airline in the country doesn't need one.....

Maybe it's time to regulate CASA....11:30 hour BOC of the clock two crew is insane. People are going to be landing after being awake for 13+hours through the night....

It's all under control though they put out this brochure............
http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/pilots/download/fatigue.pdf

tery84vx
18th Dec 2014, 07:25
have jetstar axed the Sunday JQ29/30 rotation and have they stopped using Australian based cabin crew altogether on the BKK flights?

h.o.t.a.s.
18th Dec 2014, 07:35
Toughen Up Princesses!! :E:E:E

The Perth based Crews have been doing these kind of Bali schedules for years…
AND followed it up with a drive home afterwards competing with Australias best drivers during rush hour!!

neville_nobody
18th Dec 2014, 09:23
Interesting quote here from McCormick from 2010 still nothing has changed

Mr McCormick —We did raise with Jetstar the issue of the split standby duty, which is what it appears to me they were using here. The difficulty we always encounter is that CAR 48 and the exemptions to it were written a long time ago in a different world and they never were contemplated as tools for managing fatigue risk as we understand it today. In my own experience I was involved in the ICAO rewrite or attempted rewrite of fatigue risk management earlier this century. We were unable to reconcile a lot of those things at that time and it is now underway under the leadership of Dr Curtis Graeber. It is being rewritten now and they are the documents we are waiting to see. Up until now we have a system that says, ‘This is the minimum that you have to give people.’ It is prescriptive, whether it be a minimum standard of hours on in the case we are talking about here a minimum standard of time off or whatever. But when it is a minimum it is there for a very good reason and that is the lowest that you can show acceptable safety and acceptable compliance. So the minimum is not necessarily dangerous, but in the commercial reality of these operations I think it is pretty self-evident that all these carriers these days look to go to the minimum, they look to go to where they get the most commercial advantage. In previous days perhaps everybody exceeded the minimum by quite an acceptable standard. I would say what has happened worldwide is that there has been a continual move to squeeze profits out of everything that is possible. I am not criticising Jetstar here or any Australian airline for that matter. However, they push to the minimum. The basis in reality is that the minimum is the acceptable. Whether it is best practice is another question.

FFRATS
18th Dec 2014, 12:00
Taggert
What's the 320's payload like with 5-6hrs of gas on board plus reserves, as would be the case when the westerlies are a blowing?

Still a bad idea in winter....Between 30-50 seats blocked off.
Regularly 40's with tech crew deciding if payed, checked pax will get a seat after they work out max weight. Don't be the last to checked-in!

Not like BNE, where max TKOF wt can be used OOL has max weight around 73T and can have variable winds costing -1.5T depending on RWY. (Rough figures..)

New IPad Performance program may help some.

Start your trip <80% full to PER, burn 15-16T the return has to be Full with both sold at a premium I would think.

FFRATS