PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Content

Forfar 4 East Fife 5
2nd Jun 2002, 12:01
Setting myself up here, however..........

Mil Aircrew forum is becoming a site for questions from people who can't be botherered to research first (allegedly).

The forum is being watered down by non-professional surfers.

No reply solicited, just a statement of my opinion.

Tonkenna
2nd Jun 2002, 18:50
Have to agree somewhat which is why I have been quiet lately. Still have to read it each day though, you just never know when something interesting will turn up.

Tonks

The Gorilla
2nd Jun 2002, 19:21
(Decloaking)

Agreed.

As I have said here many times, a lot of posters aren't even aviation related (IMHO)

I come, I read, I go..

(Cloaking)

:)

Forfar 4 East Fife 5
2nd Jun 2002, 22:18
A solution to the problem doesn't spring to mind. In the short term, perhaps we should consider not feeding the shallow surfers & let them ...........

Ask the careers office.........

Talk to PSF...............

Go to friends reunited............

Get a life...............

BlueWolf
2nd Jun 2002, 22:31
Does being a flyer, a former military hardware development contractor, and a friend of the Forces make me count as a professional?
When I feel I may have something useful to contribute, I contribute.
When I realise I'm out of my depth on a particular subject and that the best thing I can do is to shut up, listen and learn, I do that.
The latter happens more often than the former, I don't mind admitting.
The same can't be said for every non-Military Aircrew contributor here.
So...Brownie Points for me, and my ongoing gratitude to you fine gentlemen for the continued expansion of my knowledge horizon.
Do keep it up.

Pub User
4th Jun 2002, 07:05
F4EF5

Aren't you being a bit harsh on those people who want to find out something 'from the horses mouth'? There are, after all, no regulations regarding what may be discussed, or the level of qualification required to do so. As for 'non-professional surfers', well I know there are some sad geeks around, but to claim to be a professional surfer would be outstandingly sad!

STANDTO
4th Jun 2002, 07:46
I thought it read a bit like that too, but I know what he means!

I dont fly, but have a strong interest and a goodly amount of background knowledge. Apart fromthe big hitters, such as Chinook enquiry stuff, the thread is highly entertaining, esp. when the banter goes onto reheat. There are plenty of tech threads on Prune too. Personally, I think the format works, but as I have said before, I think a seperate thread for RAF/FAA/AAC wannabees would thin things down a bit

Arm out the window
4th Jun 2002, 12:05
Sure, people shouldn't post before they take other reasonable steps to do a bit of homework for themselves, but let's not be too elitist.
For example, Nick Lappos on the Rotorheads forum is as experienced as they get, but he seems never to consider it below him to respond to others if he can make some useful input (which he almost always can!).
I think that's a great example of the magic of forums, or fora if you like, such as this one.

You want it when?
4th Jun 2002, 19:04
OK - I see the point of the original post - but the web does make it so easy to find out answers to questions faster than a trot down to the local office. There does seem to be a repeat of common questions but that reflects the turn over of visitors.

I'm almost a flyer to PPL-A and I doubt I could ever afford enough AvGas to run a jet for more than a trip around the taxi-way <G>, I also never served so I guess I shouldn't be here. But my Dad did and the first 12 or so years of my life were amongst boys in blue and surrounded by other service brats.

I've contributed to threads where an outsider viewpoint is asked (and FlattusVentus or the like has slapped me down something chornic), and pitched in on the best book thread etc...

Close the forum to types like me if you wish (I wouldn't kick up a fuss) but the common thread seems to be PVR or life on the outside - surely you want comments? I's suggest someone with a bit of time create an FAQ sticky and hope that someone of the more basic questions could be ignored.

I like to dip in here and read some of the threads - I hope for another "No 1. Dining In Thread" or "I wish I hadn't said that" as the stories remind me a lot of the ones I heard a long time ago - and if I get the mix of Malt and Port right they start to trot out again - for some reason my father lives in fear of Beverleys as does my Uncle :eek:

Forfar 4 East Fife 5
4th Jun 2002, 21:40
Sounds like I have put my point across badly........

A few points

1. I don't have to read a thread so what is my point.......

2. When I do it irritates me when the Mil Aircrew forum is being diluted.

3. Its my problem.......

4. I have only posted 5 replies and I don't count myself as a professional surfer.

5. I enjoy reading interesting threads with funny/informative comments. In my opinion the Mil Aircrew forum is being infiltrated by NO OFFENCE anoraks both military and civilian (ouch)

6. Again, I am setting myself up, and I repeat it is my problem.

teeteringhead
5th Jun 2002, 11:43
Oh do lighten up a bit FF4EF5!

I presume from your comments that you are/were military aircrew, although your profile doesn't reveal that (musn't forget security, walls have ears dear boy!).

My (albeit personal) view of the mil forum is that of a global military crewroom. There have in the past been contributions from many nationalities, but the spirit of the crewroom prevails. Sure there is serious stuff (Chinook on the Mull as a classic example), but there is also much banter, mostly good natured; some f%ckw*ts admittedly, but much genuine questioning and learning.

All in all, JUST LIKE MANY CREWROOMS I HAVE KNOWN.

And we shouldn't ban non aircrew from here, whether they are non-flyers in uniform (SATCO's Whipping Boy or even Adminguru) or admitted civilians with an interest in aviation, whether proffessional (Jacko) or wannabee (WEBFan), any more than we would bar them from the REAL crewroom or Happy Hour bar.

SURELY the only qualification needed is the self-selection by an interest in military aviation; if they want to stick head above parapet, them let 'em; if the contribution is unworthy or (worse) unfunny or unoriginal, they will soon be told!

And now I've set myself up too .................:p !!

Monkeyman
29th Jun 2002, 20:27
FF4EF5, you get my vote.

Like the joke goes though... Little Lad at airshow...

Ey Mister, when I grow up I want to be aircrew.

Pilot.. small problem there boy.. you can do one or the other but not both.

A Civilian
29th Jun 2002, 23:07
Can I stay?

I bet I know as much about flying plane's as any RAF pilot here. Go on ask me a question, any question about flying a plane.

Pub User
30th Jun 2002, 01:57
Whats the plural of 'plane'?.

RotaDish
30th Jun 2002, 05:04
Mr A Civ',

You may know about flying a "Plane", but have you any concept of "Operating" one for a specific task?....

That, may be the difference.

Rota

PS: Quote, D Bader " It's not a 'Plane' it's an aeroplane or aircraft!, a 'Plane' is for flattening wood!"

Big Green Arrow
30th Jun 2002, 17:48
Oi..'r Brown Bivvy'..methinks thou art fishing for something resembling a bite.......

Talking Radalt
30th Jun 2002, 21:53
As for the advice that folk should "Talk to PSF..............."
PSF know little more about admin than anybody else. They just perform the task as their primary role, which is why so many surfers resort to asking through a media like this for a more generalised answer from those who might have learnt by experience and not from an AP.

(TAKE COVER!)

A Civilian
30th Jun 2002, 22:11
"Oi..'r Brown Bivvy'..methinks thou art fishing for something resembling a bite......."

:cool: Curses. I'll get you yet you pesky kids!