PDA

View Full Version : DHL Bahrain

Bleed yellow
16th Dec 2014, 02:07
It seems recently that this employer has come under scrutiny from several disgruntled employees... They have actually gone to extremes of slating title holders personally which is clearly sour grapes. Basically, you are faced with incompetent people, way above their station, who are disgruntled with their inadequacy. Maybe it is actually time that these people appreciated what they actually have. I am not saying that the job is perfect, indeed it needs a salary and tc's review. However, certain individuals are trying to make the people who run the show seem like idiots when actually they should be thankful.The future is definitely bright for DHL Bahrain and the expansion plans could make for one of the best jobs around if the required tweets to tc's are implemented. Disregard the disgruntled, most of the DHX managers are actually doing a very good job considering...... Let's have a poll of how many employers will take you on, non type rated with a culture of upgrading from within and an expanding fleet??? So not that bad after all.......

Farrell
18th Dec 2014, 15:33
It would appear that a lot of complaints from many folks in the GCC come from those who maladjust to the environment, having dived into the region out of lack, or a desire for a bigger plane or most likely because nowhere else would take them with their hours and experience, which I believe is the case with DHL, what with taking on non-TR jockeys and the like. And there's also the tax-free advantage that many folks seem to forget about after their first six months before the whining about salaries begins.

The Middle East is not for everyone. The pace can be slow at times especially when it comes to getting T&Cs changed.
The general "souq mentality" attitude is: "Why do you want changes when you agreed to x,y and z in the initial contract?"

If it's an employer's market then when it comes time to renew your contract, you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything on top of your initial agreement. You may be lucky and get a bonus.

If the shoe is on the other foot and there is a shortage of staff, then you'll be in a better position to bargain.

The main issues in the Middle East boil down to culture differences and vastly varying salary bands between people of different races.
If you go barreling into an office run by an Indian who knows you're already getting 8-10 times his wages and looking for your missing lunch money (i.e. more!), then of course you're going to come up against manufactured frustrations and a subsequent delay.
I know guys here in the sandpit who like nothing more than to file your paperwork in the "as late as possible" tray, who would work all night to get you what you wanted had you just shook hands and treated them like a human.

The same goes for your hosts. It's all about diplomacy and relationships. Do you know the names of your Bahraini bosses kids? Have you asked him how his son is doing at college? Have you asked him how the general mood is around town? Have you taken an interest?
Why do you think he's always on the phone? He's catching up on "the news" from friends and family. It frustrates the hell out of some folks but it's family and friends first and then work. Show an interest and watch what happens.

Name calling can get you jailed. Publicly shaming someone even with all of the evidence will have you behind bars quick enough to make your head spin.

There is no excuse for it here. Pprune and the other forums have not just arrived yesterday. This information has been around for over a decade online. I was lucky enough to be sat down one day, early on in my Middle East life and told the rules by a very astute Omani gentleman who was good enough to impart nuggets of wisdom that have now brought me quite happily into my eighth year here.

It's their train-set. It is what it is. Smile and take the cheque. If you don't like it, there's always a flight to somewhere else.

JW411
18th Dec 2014, 17:49
Put beautifully, if I may say so. I had a great time flying and living in the Middle East, Indian Sub-Continent, the Pacific and even the USA on and off for well over 20 years and the man who said "it is their train set", is exactly right.

The first thing is to accept entirely their SOPs unless they are dangerous. If the SOPs are burning fuel for no good reason, that is not your initial problem. As time goes bye and you have got your feet further underneath the carpet, it might be possible to suggest more economic ways (efficiency) to do things.

This I managed to do on the "softly, softly, cathchee monkey" basis eventually more often than not.

If you cannot have the flexibility to adjust to local conditions then join BA. (It used to be easy in the old days).

frieghtdog2000
7th Jan 2015, 19:32
Nice to see a well thought out post from a current employed pilot rather than the previous rant from someone who had to leave due to no possible chance of promotion. Personal vilifications of post holders and managers who do their best under difficult circumstances do not help anyone and merely demean the profession.