PDA

View Full Version : Things you can or cannot take on a plane.

Raine Emerson
15th Dec 2014, 16:59
Question because I think I've read somewhere that you can take car seats on the plane...I was wondering about strollers? Or would you have to put that through baggage check? Just like the umbrella strollers?

ExXB
15th Dec 2014, 17:18
Assume you mean one with a kid in it.

There is no reason why not, but depending on the airline or how full the flight is they may 'gate check' it. Meaning they could take it from you at the gate and put it in the hold. Ask where you are to claim it at destination- it could be at the gate, but it can also be on the baggage belt.

Oh, and don't do this via Gatwick, you may never see it again. (My father-in-law is still waiting for bits of his wheelchair, from January)

fa2fi
15th Dec 2014, 17:32
I'd check with your airline. With easyJet you can take it as far as the plane and leave it at bottom of steps or aircraft entrance if using an air bridge where it will be placed in the hold and you then collect it at the baggage belt. But they cannot be carried aboard.

Gibon2
15th Dec 2014, 20:35
It varies by airline and airport, and sometimes apparently by alignment of the stars, or something. I personally have encountered the following:

- Take stroller to door of aircraft; collect at door (or nearby) on disembarking.

- Take stroller to door of aircraft; collect from baggage carousel (or mysterious and generally well-hidden "oversize baggage" counter).

- Check stroller in with rest of baggage at check-in counter; believe lies/ exaggeration about availability of airport strollers "just over there".

- Check stroller in with rest of baggage at check-in counter; don't believe lies/ exaggeration about availability of airport strollers "just over there"; get into shouting match with check-in agent.

- Take (small, umbrella-style) stroller onto aircraft, stow in overhead bins.

It is most common to be able to take the stroller to the door of the plane; unfortunately it is also very common to then be unable to get any reliable information on where the stroller will show up at the other end. It may be at the gate, or at the carousel, but nobody will be able to tell you for sure.

There is an old but entertaining and still more-or-less valid thread on strollers here (http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/325104-buggy-delivery.html).

Scinfaxi
16th Dec 2014, 07:48
It varies by airline and airport, and sometimes apparently by alignment of the stars, or something.

Haha. That last bit made me chuckle :)

At NQY (BE, U2, 4U and 5Y (IOS not Atlas Air ^^)) we offer the option of taking the pushchair through to the steps of the aircraft (infant must be carried through the central search detector), or if they want they can get rid of it at check-in and put it out-of-gauge.

We don't gate tag any bags or pushchairs though, we intercept oversize hand luggage and untagged pushchairs/wheelchairs etc at a sort of desk before central search screening and ask them to pop back to check-in for a printed tag.

None of the airlines we handle allow a pushchair to be taken on-board.

As far as arriving, the majority of the time we place pushchairs at the steps of the aircraft...most of the time people aren't paying attention and walk right past their own pushchair, in which case we pop it back on the flatbed and deliver it to the belts.

Oh, and don't do this via Gatwick, you may never see it again. (My father-in-law is still waiting for bits of his wheelchair, from January)

Yeh, I've seen things arrive at NQY from LGW with fragile labels on and the like wheelchair/pushchair etc but loaded at the bottom under 50KGs of baggage....funnily enough....they were broken on arrival :(

Espada III
16th Dec 2014, 08:27
Actual car seats can be taken on board - we have done it; but it depends on the airline and space on board.

Octopussy2
17th Dec 2014, 09:13
Whenever I've flown with a pushchair, it has always been possible to hang on to it right until boarding, then pick it up either immediately on disembarking or on the carrousel.

Don't recommend the following: arrive at home airport, quite tired, may have had wine on plane, fall into cab home with 2 fractious children (including one occupant of said pushchair), totally forget about pushchair, remembrance slowly dawns next day, shame-faced drive back to airport to play "hunt the bit of the airport where they put forgotten buggies", resist temptation to select a better one than ours from the selection on offer.

On the plus side, at least we didn't forget the child :E

Evanelpus
17th Dec 2014, 12:40
Maybe this is too obvious a question but why, oh why, would you want to take a stroller on-board in the first place?

I'm guessing it can't be so you can beat the queues at luggage reclaim because you;ll have a young child with you and all parents pack everything but the kitchen sink when they travel with kids.

Raine Emerson
17th Dec 2014, 19:41
This responses are exactly why I asked. I didn't want to run into issues next weekend when it came time to try it. So it's good to know. Thank you all for replying.

Maybe I should create another app to be able to track my luggage and pushchair/stroller....Xamarin (https://twitter.com/xamarinhq)here I come...yet again.