PDA

View Full Version : Different aircraft in snow

davidjohnson6
14th Dec 2014, 18:16
In the event that an airport experiences snow, are some aircraft types more vulnerable to issues which lead to flight cancellation than other types ? I'm thinking specifically of snow or weather that occurs close to the ground in winter - I'm not thinking so much about turbulence at high altitude.

For example, is it fair to say that a 150 seat jet has greater resistance to snow compared to a 70 seat prop ? If so, is it simply because of sheer size or is there more to it than that ?

I realise that when things go badly wrong operationally, airlines tend to prioritise large aircraft with lots of passengers flying long haul and put the regional props at the bottom of the pile, but I wondered if there's anything more to it than that.

ESQU
21st Dec 2014, 11:32
Without having the performance data for different aircraft types, it's difficult to be precise. However, it's fair to say a small turbo prop should require less distance to land or take off on a contaminated runway than a 747. It is also much quicker to de-ice and/or anti ice a smaller aircraft.

However, during times of weather disruption and reduced take off or landing slots available, I suspect the airlines concentrate on the long haul aircraft to get a larger number of people away quicker since there may be other options available for short haul such as extra flights when weather improves, re-routing to another destination or even train travel etc.