PDA

View Full Version : Any one see the Geminids last night?

Windy Militant
14th Dec 2014, 09:57
Turned out to be a bit of a dry squid - no sea for me as the clouds rolled in just as things were supposed to be getting intense. Still at least the pot plants calmed down and stopped rattling their roots!
Anyone else have more luck, if you did, can you still see to type! ;)

Tankertrashnav
14th Dec 2014, 10:06
Didn't see them - Cornwall was 8/8 as always when any sort of astronomical phenomenon occurs, so I can still see to type. Mind you, I'm a bit worried about a funny plant in the garden I've never noticed before ;)

SpringHeeledJack
14th Dec 2014, 10:25
I has clear sky and popped outside a few times from 10pm until midnight and nothing was to be seen aside from stars and so on. A shame, as they're always nice to see. Apparently the high point for them is in the next 30mins (11am UK time) but as it's daylight….

SHJ

treadigraph
14th Dec 2014, 10:26
Nipped outside a couple of times around midnight and saw a few flitting briefly across the sky, but too much light pollution where I am.

Hydromet
14th Dec 2014, 10:28
Mind you, I'm a bit worried about a funny plant in the garden I've never noticed before
Say it with flowers: give her a triffid.

OFSO
14th Dec 2014, 10:39
Got up twice to pee, looked out, clear sky, quite magnificent, but no meteors.

It don't half make your neck ache, though !

Tomorrow I'll be driving north about 5.30 a.m., now that's the time to see them, have done in the past.

TWT
14th Dec 2014, 10:42
I saw one.Looked like a skyrocket traversing the sky,an amber colour with a few sparks coming off it.Lasted about 3 seconds.

Fat Magpie
14th Dec 2014, 10:53
I had cameras at the ready but the sky was overcast...

tony draper
14th Dec 2014, 11:22
For decades in my life as a amateur astronomer I have waited up on freezing cold nights nads like marbles watching out for various alleged meteor showers,showers seen? norra sausage nada zilch feckall.
Even if nature arranges a shower in my back lane right outside me back window I steadfastly refuse to rise from me prooning chair to check same out,me and the meteor shower(alleged)are finished.
:=

Windy Militant
14th Dec 2014, 11:26
Surely with your technobility you could rig a web cam FSL!
Lets face it none of the professional astronomers bother looking at the sky these days! ;)

tony draper
14th Dec 2014, 11:32
I have a Hi rez low light CCTV Camera pointed skywards out me back window on a permanent basis and on a clear night displays the sky ablaze with stars on me big new posh Telly,last night I did not even switch it on such is my disenchantment re yer bolloid.
:(

probes
14th Dec 2014, 11:37
a couple of years ago I saw something that looked like a cigarette butt thrown out of a car window (at night) - sparkles and all. Just high up there. Very impressive and a bit scary.

Mechta
14th Dec 2014, 11:41
I was sitting in the car waiting for Mrs Mechta to get home with the key :ugh:(my fault, not hers). Just as she arrived home about 21:45GMT, I got out of the car, and, looking SSE, and saw what I assumed was a meteorite. Only this morning did I find out these were expected, otherwise I might have stayed out and looked for more, as we had very clear skies.

I've always thought it would be nice to have an astrodome on top of the house, so for occasions like this one could sit in the warm with views of the heavens in all directions.

BTW, Amazing how many foxes you see if you sit in an unlit car for 1/4hr. The ones around here look particularly healthy this year.

probes
14th Dec 2014, 11:43
The ones around here look particularly healthy this year.

looks like the actual adjective you had in mind was 'tasty', somehow?

Which makes me wonder - are foxes a delicacy anywhere?

jolihokistix
14th Dec 2014, 11:50
Quote: "are foxes a delicacy anywhere?"

In a concentration camp, maybe? :p

The hairy Ainu of Hokkaido used to eat foxes at religious festivals as they believed the fox was a spiritual creature.

Checkboard
14th Dec 2014, 11:54
I was flying back from Tel Aviv last night, so had five hours to stare out of the window - and the skies are clear and dark at 38,000 feet.

Was pointing the wrong way most of the time - but for the hour or so I bothered to watch I saw a dozen or so. Mind you - on any old night at that level, if you watch you'll see at least a couple.

In the days before TCAS, everyone would fly with a dark cockpit, to look for traffic - nowadays all the young whipper-snappers want their nose in the paper or whatever, with the lights on. :ouch:

Mechta
14th Dec 2014, 13:28
Quote:
The ones around here look particularly healthy this year.
looks like the actual adjective you had in mind was 'tasty', somehow?

Which makes me wonder - are foxes a delicacy anywhere?

Probes, Is your female intuition switched off this morning? I've been a veggie for last 46 years! There's nothing about a fox, or any other animal that makes me want to eat it.

There doesn't seem to be anyone on the net saying how wonderful fox meat tastes, although there are a few articles about those who have tried it:

Phillip Schofield causes a stir as he tucks into a FOX MEAT lunch on This Morning | Showbiz | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/438517/Phillip-Schofield-causes-a-stir-as-he-tucks-into-a-FOX-MEAT-lunch-on-This-Morning)

probes
15th Dec 2014, 23:27
yeah, looks like even my intuition can be 'switched off'. Occasionally. :E
Actually, as you remember the veggie-time so well, there must have been some powerful trigger?

P.S and why aren't foxes eaten (=by people)? About everyone else is, after all? And "It's lean, healthy, organic, free, guilt-free and as fresh as fresh can be. Only do it if you're 100 per cent happy about what you're cooking."
[that was about roadkill, in the article]

Mechta
15th Dec 2014, 23:40
Actually, as you remember the veggie-time so well, there must have been some powerful trigger?

Not especially at the time, but nothing since has made me want to start eating it again. I was 4, my brother was veggie at the time, as is my father still, my mother never has been veggie. My brother said, 'that's a dead pig you are eating', and that's when I stopped.

With regard to fox meat, googling 'what does fox meat taste like' suggests that its pretty unpleasant, which is a shame as there is always plenty on the sides of the roads around here, for those that would eat it.

oldpax
16th Dec 2014, 00:37
Tony Draper,you have the Kielder forest observatory on your doorstep!Recently awarded a "Dark sky"excellence award !Go and see it!!!!

Pinky the pilot
16th Dec 2014, 00:39
The hairy Ainu of Hokkaido used to eat foxes at religious festivals as they believed the fox was a spiritual creature.

They wouldn't have wanted to eat the ones I saw around Skypark at Takikawa earlier this year jolihokistix. Incredibly scruffy, mangy and undernourished. Somewhat surprising really.

How's your GTR going?:ok:

As for the Geminids; Got up one night a few years back to watch something like that and thought it was a good show! Was thinking about having a look at this event but forgot!:O

Art Smass
16th Dec 2014, 04:13
My experience was a la Drapes

Feckall:(

probes
16th Dec 2014, 09:56
sorry, drift continued, as I didn't see any :sad:,

'that's a dead pig you are eating', and that's when I stopped.
one could argue the plants'life has to be stopped before eating them, too?

MagnusP
16th Dec 2014, 10:34
FSL,
freezing cold nights nads like marbles

Reminds me of David Niven commenting on a cold day's filming. "Willy like a blue acorn". :p

tony draper
16th Dec 2014, 10:52
Gentlemen, what was for a short period the largest Telescope in the world stood in a garden about a hundred feet from where me arse is sat right now,
behold the Newall Refractor,
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/Deaddogbay002/C0073181-25-inch_Newall_refractor_telescope_1873-SPL_zps622cba4e.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/Deaddogbay002/C0073181-25-inch_Newall_refractor_telescope_1873-SPL_zps622cba4e.jpg.html)
Yer cant tell Gateshead folks owt about Astronomy. ;)

MagnusP
16th Dec 2014, 11:12
Good old Grubb Parsons. Long gone, sadly; they made some cracking telescopes. :sad:

rgbrock1
16th Dec 2014, 13:39
probes wrote:

a couple of years ago I saw something that looked like a cigarette butt thrown out of a car window (at night) - sparkles and all.

Might have been me probes. I enjoy doing such things. :E

MagnusP
16th Dec 2014, 14:15
Bzzzzt. Wrong, Magnus. :\ The Newall was not a Grubb-Parsons, but made by Cooke & Co. It's now at an observatory in Greece. Apologies to all. Cooke was, of course, based in York, so Gateshead can't claim the credit!