PDA

View Full Version : Moles......the furry kind.

eastern wiseguy
13th Dec 2014, 18:27
Arrived back from a trip to Europe to discover that in two weeks my garden is covered in little piles of earth.

We believe it to be an infestation of moles .

Has anyone any HUMANE NON LETHAL methods (Mrs EW has buddhist tendencies) for getting rid of them? :)

Wyler
13th Dec 2014, 18:39
They dislike human waste. Shovel the top off of every mole hill,squat and do what nature intended. Best done in broad daylight for maximum effect.

Super VC-10
13th Dec 2014, 18:45
There's only one way to get rid of a mole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

Low Flier
13th Dec 2014, 19:22
Has anyone any HUMANE NON LETHAL methods (Mrs EW has buddhist tendencies) for getting rid of them?

First, get rid of Mrs EW, humanely and non-lethally, preferably temporarily.

Then get rid of the moles, lethally, and preferably humanely. Permanently.

No other way.

airship
13th Dec 2014, 19:24
From one wiseguy to another: you ask about humane methods to eradicate a non-human pest?

Also, there should be a capital 'B' in 'buddhist', if you have any respect for Mrs. EW (or her beliefs)... :E

VP959
13th Dec 2014, 19:32
The best solution I've found are the small explosive charges sold in French DIY stores. They have a small, electrically detonated, charge, connected to a battery pack and detonation switch, which has a plunger switch on a probe that goes down the mole hole.

The charge has long leads, so can be poked deep into the burrow. This means that the mole has to clamber over it to come up the hole, where its nose contacts the plunger switch. Contact with the plunger switch blows the charge, which is right behind the mole's arse.

On second thoughts, perhaps this isn't very Buddhist friendly...............

G-CPTN
13th Dec 2014, 19:36
Contact with the plunger switch blows the charge, which is right behind the mole's arse.
Leaving only molasses . . .

airship
13th Dec 2014, 19:38
Traditional fire-crackers lit by a classic fuse should work too. If they're Chinese-made fireworks (usually red colour with strange hieroglyphics) that should satisfy Buddha, maybe. I don't know. I personally wouldn't harm a fly if I could help it. But sometimes I take a pee and flush a dozen of them down the toilet inadvertently.

vulcanised
13th Dec 2014, 19:43
Leaving only molasses . . .

That's terrible :D

Serve you right if that gets Bluey in here.

ricardian
13th Dec 2014, 19:53
One old remedy used to be a one pint glass milk bottle with a disposable razor blade bent and inserted into the neck. Insert the milk bottle into a molehill, when the wind blows it makes a strange moaning sound which, it is alleged, drives moles away.
Here are a few more ideas (http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Moles-in-Your-Lawn)

Donkey497
13th Dec 2014, 20:08
They probably taste quite like chicken, and it would make quite a talking point if you invite the neighbours round for Christmas Dinner.......... :E

Tu.114
13th Dec 2014, 20:12
Several years ago, I witnessed a guy waiting in his garden armed with a spade and a keen eye. Upon seeing subterran activity (i. e. the creation of a new molehill), he took a few steps, rammed the spade into the soil right where the action was and flung everything out rather vigorously. If done right, this resulted in a slightly confused mole running about, ready to be caught (solid gloves are advisable - sharp teeth are present, the occasional nasty infection as well), put in a bucket and released somewhere in the fields.

On other occasions, it resulted in two half moles.

I am not sure if this counts as animal-friendly or not - it may be better than those spring-loaded traps that would have been the other option back then, but not by much...