PDA

View Full Version : Licence question

dboy
13th Dec 2014, 17:26
Hi,

A friend of mine has a cpl licence(frozen atpl, easa licence) with a lj45 rating. We both know a private owner who got himself a lj40. My friend was asked to fly for him (pure private, no AOC). Can he fly on the left seat with his cpl as pic because of th fact it is a pure private flight? I had no clue of what to answer him. Or does he need to get the atpl?

Journey Man
13th Dec 2014, 20:07
Search easa.europa.eu for the type cert. It'll state minimum crew and answer your question.

Who's insuring the aircraft and what are the crew experience requirements...?

dboy
13th Dec 2014, 20:28
Ok i will tell him to look at this.

The only thing i know is that he has around 2500h on type.

Tx

what next
13th Dec 2014, 20:38
The only thing i know is that he has around 2500h on type.

With 2500 hours on a multi-pilot aircraft he can unfreeze his ATPL and fly from the LH seat.

dboy
13th Dec 2014, 20:41
Yes that we know.

But that was not the thing we were looking for. His current company needs ofcourse to pay for that.

3 Point
13th Dec 2014, 22:53
Your mate needs to understand the privileges of the licence he holds! He may act as Pilot in Command of any flight which is "not for the purpose of Commercial Air Transport". The flight you describe would not be CAT and therefore your mate may fly the flight as the aircraft commander.

Happy landings

3 Point

rumour mill
14th Dec 2014, 08:30
It also depends on what type of rating he has. Some are restricted to Right Seat only.

Miles Magister
14th Dec 2014, 09:47
DBoy,

The answer is yes. You can fly any multi-pilot aircraft as a captain on a CPL in private operations.

On an AOC or as CAT you must have an ATPL to act as a Captain on a multi-pilot aircraft.

I even have written guidance from the UK CAA on this exact issue if you need it. PM me or get your friend to PM for more information if needed.

Regards

MM

dboy
14th Dec 2014, 09:50
Thank you all for the info.

Jackdaw
14th Dec 2014, 17:57
Just curious, and well out of touch with licensing requirements these days (always used to be a moving goalpost!) with 2500 hours surely your colleague could unfreeze his ATPL anyway? I know CAA charge exorbitant fees but I wouldn't have thought a deal breaker. Or am I missing something obvious?

this is my username
15th Dec 2014, 06:19
Going from a CPL to an ATPL requires a check ride now

dirk85
15th Dec 2014, 09:41
... that can be done during an OPC/LPC.

Globally Challenged
15th Dec 2014, 09:58
From memory, there was only 1 (maybe 2) different approaches that needed to be flown in addition to the standard LPC/OPC checks.

Above The Clouds
15th Dec 2014, 10:06
It only requires a raw data manually flown ILS with one engine inoperative during an LPC/OPC to complete the ATPL skills test.

Curtis E Carr
15th Dec 2014, 15:43
Going from a CPL to an ATPL requires a check ride now

What's a checkride?

deefer dog
15th Dec 2014, 15:56
A check ride is a practical flying test conducted in the USA. You pay by check - go for the ride and pass the test.:ok:

Curtis E Carr
15th Dec 2014, 17:16
Aaah.... I see

I guess we would call it a "cheque ride"

firefish
3rd Jan 2015, 20:08
An ATP check ride must be conducted in a sim as per EASA regs. It cannot be done in the aircraft.
The only exemption is if a sim isn't available (that means, literally, that it doesn't exist a sim at all).
In EASA-land it's not so easy as it is in the US. I wish that the EU would simply copy-paste the US system...