PDA

View Full Version : It never rains in Southern California - but it pours.

G-CPTN
13th Dec 2014, 11:32
BBC News - Mudslides and floods hit southern California (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30460742)

-pyC7WnvLT4

Pineapple Express storm hits California (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30443932).

radeng
13th Dec 2014, 18:21
It is said that there are four seasons in California - earthquake, brush fire, mud slide and riot.

Gordy
13th Dec 2014, 18:35
radeng:

It is said that there are four seasons in California - earthquake, brush fire, mud slide and riot.

Too funny, but some of us make a living on those seasons....(emphasis added). And then also preventing the slides.....

airship
13th Dec 2014, 18:40
Americans in general (perhaps Californians in particular) tend to whine a lot. It's the accent I'm told. :E

con-pilot
13th Dec 2014, 18:54
Well the way I look at it, ever since I started paying close attention to the weather back when I was 13, had just moved back to the US and had dreams of becoming a pilot, it has seemed like California has had crappy weather.

It is either burning up from brush fires, flooding, mud slides or there is a severe drought that last for years and you run out of water, not to mention the occasional major earthquake, hell you name it, it happens in California.

You live at the bottom of the hills or mountains, mud slides will bury you. You live on top of a hill or a mountain you become part of a mud slide and bury those that are below you. Or there is a earthquake that swallows your house.

Shoot, if you go back in history far enough, the Indians that lived in California before the European invaders arrived, bitched about the weather and how their camp fires would fill in the LA basin making it hard to breathe.

Nothing wrong with living in California, but you have to learn how to live with California.

Gordy
13th Dec 2014, 18:59
Nothing wrong with living in California, but you have to learn how to live with California.

Tis why I moved out and commute back for work when necessary.

pineridge
13th Dec 2014, 18:59
"Americans in general (perhaps Californians in particular) tend to whine a lot. It's the accent I'm told"

Airship, stop whining.

meadowrun
13th Dec 2014, 19:10
Nothing compared to a New Yawk whine though as perpetuated by a segment of the inhabitants. It seems to relate directly to personality and has the same effect on me as fingernails drawn along a blackboard.

pineridge
13th Dec 2014, 19:19
To my ear, the two most distinctive and relatively pleasant accents in North America are the Newfoundland and Boston accents.

meadowrun
13th Dec 2014, 19:28
Ahh, but the thing about Newfoundland and Labrador is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44wMG9b2_JY

airship
13th Dec 2014, 20:00
I have to admit that one of my favourite American accents is that of Jeff Bridges (actor, born and raised in California). But someone once said to me that his natural accent was more 'NE USA / Canada'...? :confused:

Whatever, here's a before / after video of the filming location of one of his movies "Thunderbolt and Lightning" with Clint Eastwood. I find Hervé Attia's various videos which incorporate original movie excerpts with the same perspectives of the movie locations years afterwards are always interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQRIPUtCYU

G&T ice n slice
13th Dec 2014, 22:03
Not wanting to be unsympathetic, but now and again there are sometimes little giveaways as to what to expect, for example, if you build a house at a place called "Washaway Beach", where I believe several beach houses have been ... washed away by storms..

421dog
13th Dec 2014, 22:25
I just wish that people who choose to live in California would realize that those of us who live places where people were meant to live needn't be subject to idiotic restrictions like low flow toilets, 2.5 gpm shower heads and catalytic converters on wood stoves.

We've got all the water we need in the upper Midwest, we recycle it efficiently and it ain't going anywhere. Heck, most of us don't even feel the need to own a swimming pool. We're well ventilated, and have a lot more plants than people.
(Well fed with co2 and fixed nitrogen from the coasties flying over us on the way to another conference to raise awareness about the need to save the world)

mikedreamer787
13th Dec 2014, 22:51
Only good thing about Calif is it don't get them tornadoes like the Alley does. Given a wx choice I'd rather live in Monterrey than Oklahoma.

fleigle
13th Dec 2014, 23:06
You are all jealous, I love living here in California.
:ok::ok::ok:
f

And yes, I have lived and worked for long periods of time in other places in the US, Europe, Asia, and Africa.

421dog
13th Dec 2014, 23:47
Great.
I'll buy your wine, but keep your idiotic environmental regulations to yourselves.

MarkerInbound
14th Dec 2014, 00:13
Only good thing about Calif is it don't get them tornadoes like the Alley does. Given a wx choice I'd rather live in Monterrey than Oklahoma.

Yeah, about that -

"The Trash Can Is Flying": Tornado Rips Rooftops, Downs Trees in South LA | NBC Southern California (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Tornado-Touches-Down-in-South-LA-National-Weather-Service-285680241.html)

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Dec 2014, 05:33
...I'd rather live in Monterrey than Oklahoma.

Is there anywhere left on the California coastline where you can scavenge your lunch off the rocks and from the intertidal zone with a diving knife while out for a stroll?

If not, Maine or Washington would do me...:ok:

fleigle
14th Dec 2014, 16:24
Rusty,
most of the California coastline is accessable for such perambulations.
Come on over for a visit and I'll take you around.
:ok:
f
(BTW have you still forsaken your little hairyplane building for the brewery??)

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Dec 2014, 16:29
Still got the hairyplane but not much space to build these days. Need to get it to a mate's hangar and dive in again.

One is a fan of intertidal zones. Loads of interesting creepies scuttling about there, many of them quite tasty. Embarrassingly, one gained weight on one's survival exercise, unlike the silly buggers who passed up all that seafood just because it wasn't cooked.:}

pineridge
14th Dec 2014, 18:03
Mike Dreamer 787 said---------------------

"Only good thing about Calif is it don't get them tornadoes like the Alley does. Given a wx choice I'd rather live in Monterrey than Oklahoma. "

Monterrey is in Mexico-Monterey is in California. It`s a little confusing as the Californian town was the capital of "Old Mexico" e.g.California.
Monterey is one of my favorite towns in the U.S. and was the the location of two of John Steinbeck`s novels.
If you are a golfer it lies close to famous Pebble Beach golf course.

Mr Optimistic
14th Dec 2014, 18:22
Stayed there in 1979. The place felt weird, unreal, hardly SoCal though. Between Nov and March it used to rain, seems to have lost the habit the last few years. In the summer anyone living in the canyons faced bushfires, in the winter mudslides. Once saw it snow in Pasadena, snow melted about 5 ft before the ground. The natives were dressed like Eskimos.

Flying Serpent
14th Dec 2014, 19:32
Had a very pleasant road trip through California and Nevada a couple of months ago (San Diego to San Francisco via Vegas, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite and Monterey). Absolutely loved it and have to say the locals were, as always, very amenable and welcoming. Even managed to share a laugh and joke at immigration too.
Perhaps I was lucky to miss the bush fires, landslides, flash floods and earthquakes though.