PDA

View Full Version : I started a new drug yesterday

Loose rivets
12th Dec 2014, 22:23
Funny old time of life. Life is crap, and I finally gave in to taking something to ease the symptoms of a malaise caused by the absence of nagging.

I took the woman formally known as the Rivetess, to the station. I've done that a few times in our half century together. I don't like it. I like a woman that likes to stay at home and make cakes, and serve them with tea while I sit in a comfy chair. However, I miss the nagging more than I can describe.

When in the UK, she lives in a tiny house just 100 yards from our old home. Odd that, driving there, hard to make the steering wheel turn the other way. Anyway, I pop round for a cup of tea from time to time and get a good nagging; it makes me feel so . . . normal. When she sets off to visit the far-flung kids the symptoms of nagging deprivation set in. A pill will do the trick.

Nortriptyline. That has a ring to it. I'll have some of that. Seemed okay, I slept until 11AM for the first time in a while. Tonight, I suddenly had the urge to look up the side-effects.

The frequency of these side-effects is unknown

a drop in blood pressure on standing or sitting up
activation of schizophrenic symptoms
allergic reactions - if you get any type of allergic reaction you should tell your prescriber. You should particularly look out for: rashes, petechiae, urticaria, itching, oedema, fever or photosensitivity reactions. Photosensitivity reactions may be reduced by avoiding excessive exposure to sunlight
balance or coordination problems
black tongue
blood and bone marrow problems
blood pressure changes
blood sugar level changes
blurred vision
bowel problems
breast enlargement in men and women
changes in libido
changes to weight
confusion with hallucinations, feelings of disorientation or delusions
constipation
diarrhoea
difficulty sleeping
electroencephalogram (EEG) changes
endocrine problems
enlargement of the pupil
extrapyramidal side effects
eye or eyesight problems
faster heart rate
feeling dizzy
feeling drowsy
feelings of panic, anxiousness, agitation, restlessness or hostility
flushing
galactorrhoea
gastrointestinal problems
hair loss
headaches
heart attack
heart problems
impotence
jaundice
liver problems
loss of appetite
mania or mania-like behaviour
mouth problems including dry mouth, infections or inflammation
nausea
neuropathy of the extremities
nightmares
palpitations
paraesthesiae of the extremities
seizures
skin numbness
stomach cramps
stroke
sweating
swelling of the salivary glands
swelling of the testicles
taste changes
thoughts of committing suicide or suicidal behaviour - you or your carer must seek immediate medical advice if you have thoughts of committing suicide or suicidal behaviour
tingling
tinnitus
tiredness
tremors
unexplained or easy bruising of the skin or mucous membranes
urinary problems
urinary retention
urinating more often
urinating more often at night
vomiting
weakness
withdrawal symptoms can occur when this medicine is stopped abruptly. These include nausea, headache, difficulty sleeping, feeling irritable, excessive sweating or a general feeling of being unwell
worsening of psychosis

Bloody Nora! Those are the symptoms I'm trying to get cured . . . apart from the black tongue. Don't have that, and don't want it. A black tongue is so off-putting when you're chatting up a young barmaid. :uhoh:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Dec 2014, 22:30
breast enlargement in men and women

Look on the bright side - you could lace the barmaid's drink with it.

G-CPTN
12th Dec 2014, 22:35
At one stage I was prescribed Amitriptyline which nearly killed me, then Dothiepin which sedated me to the extent of waking up and taking the next dose.
Then it was Prozac and now it is Mirtazapine.

Keef
12th Dec 2014, 23:01
I recall reading that amitryptilene is an instant no-fly recipe. It's scary stuff!

ex_matelot
12th Dec 2014, 23:41
I was prescribed a sop smoking drug last year..Chamix.

One of the side affects listed was suicide.

I may be wrong but..I think I dodged that curveball.

I think we live in such a litigious society that ALL providers of anything have to state the worst case scenarios to cover their arse.

This is scary - we have 2 healthy young toddlers but ...my lad was diagnosed with talipes whilst in the womb. The advice we were given was along the lines of X % more likely o be born with X etc and do you want to abort.

Box-ticking cnnts.

con-pilot
13th Dec 2014, 00:38
Wait until you take diabetes medicine because your (now ex) doctor made a mistake.

Damn near killed me, literally.

Boudreaux Bob
13th Dec 2014, 02:10
The American Veterans Administration is the most serious Serial Killer in the World....it beats Malaria as a cause of death!

I finally just stopped taking all of the medications they prescribed and immediately felt a whole lot better in all regards.

The worry is what damage did they cause before I rejected their kind efforts to "cure" me of all sorts of ailments I probably did not have.

I ditched their drug "Cocktails" for the old fashioned kind....Whisky over a couple of Ice Cubes and seem much the better for it.

IBMJunkman
13th Dec 2014, 02:28
You are lucky the infamous 'your manhood will shrivel and fall off' was not one of the side effects. :)

finfly1
13th Dec 2014, 02:39
The US comedian Jeff Foxworthy has a routine where he rattles off a long list of drug side effects, including "uneven tire wear".

At the end of my tv viewing, I routinely killed the sound on all commercials, but once or twice, the video of a happy couple riding bicycles through a lovely country lane made me curious enough to turn up the sound, which turned out to be a recitation of the same kind of list as LR posted.

One presumes it is yet another in the long list of ways that the legal profession has impacted US civilization.

westhawk
13th Dec 2014, 03:00
The US comedian Jeff Foxworthy has a routine where he rattles off a long list of drug side effects, including "uneven tire wear".

You must mean these:

"Side effects may include: nausea, vomiting, water weight gain, lower back pain, receding hairline, eczema, seborrhea, psoriasis, itching and chafing clothing, liver spots, blood clots, ringworm, excessive body odor, uneven tire wear, pyorrhea, gonorrhea, diarrhea, halitosis, scoliosis, loss of bladder control, hammertoe, the shanks, low sperm count, warped floors, cluttered drawers, hunchback, heart attack, low resale value on your home... feline leukemia, athlete's foot, head lice, clubfoot, MS, MD, VD, fleas, anxiety, sleeplessness, drowsiness, poor gas mileage, tooth decay, parvo, warts, unibrow, lazy eye, fruit flies, chest pains, clogged drains, hemorrhoids, dry heaving and sexual dysfunction.' At that point you're thinking, hell, I'll just stick with the itchy, watery eyes."

westhawk

mikedreamer787
13th Dec 2014, 05:22
swelling of the testicles

Drop the 'Loose' Loose and go as Big Balls Rivets!

Hydromet
13th Dec 2014, 05:46
Medication I was taking caused one of my testicles to swell. I upped the dose to get the other one to the same size.;)

mikedreamer787
13th Dec 2014, 06:31
'Knackers' Hydro...

UniFoxOs
13th Dec 2014, 08:00
Bob has it right. The Scottich medicine is fine for me too.

probes
13th Dec 2014, 08:32
Drop the 'Loose' Loose and go as Big Balls Rivets!
not a bad idea actually, might quite boost emotions :)

vulcanised
13th Dec 2014, 12:27
It's a reverse lottery.

Match any six and it kills you.

VP959
13th Dec 2014, 14:21
Reminds me of a very odd conversation I had with the then girlfriend of a friend of mine.

The said friend suffered from fairly severe OCD, and was being treated (rather inadequately) by his GP, who'd prescribed various anti-depressants over the years, presumably in the forlorn hope that one day he'd find a magic pill that fixed my friends OCD. In the meantime the rest of us just looked out for him, tried to help him through the really bad bits and generally were at the end of the phone if he needed us.

Anyway his (fairly new) girfriend was a colleague of mine, so she felt she knew me well enough to confide in a small personal problem that she and, let's call him "Bill" (not his real name), were having. Apparently, his sexual function was normal, up until the final point, if you get my drift. Try as he might (and I believe she had tried pretty much everything going) their lovemaking was never ending. As she, rather indelicately put it "the thing is with "Bill", I can stop, get up and go and make a cup of coffee, and when I come back I know that "it" will still be in the same state it was when I got up".

I will admit to finding it hard not to smile, but she was being serious, and was concerned that this was something to do with her.

I had a chat with "Bill" and he said that it was a problem, in that he was getting never-ending erections, with an inability to climax. Knowing the propensity for his GP to just randomly prescribe new antidepressants, I asked him what he was taking at the moment. My other half was a nurse, and had a copy of the British National Formulary (this was pre-internet) so I looked up the pills he was taking. Sure enough, one of the side effects was listed, rather coyly, as "sexual dysfunction". I got my other half to ask one of the doctors at work what this might cover, and the answer came back a day or two later that "Bill's" problem was almost certainly a side effect of the pills.

It sticks in my mind as one of the most bizarre side effects of any pill that I'd ever heard of, but was, apparently, a very common, but very under-reported, side effect at that time. Whether it was under-reported because of embarrassment, or, perhaps, because some found the benefits of an erection that would last for several hours beneficial, I'm not sure.

Capetonian
13th Dec 2014, 14:53
Loose rivets
However, I miss the nagging more than I can describe.I have the perfect solution to your problem.
Please let me know your nearest airport or railway station. If you can't come to fetch her, I'll pay for a taxi.

arcniz
13th Dec 2014, 15:01
Sympathies, Rivets. Truly one sometimes canna live entirely content with 'em nor adequately vexed without 'em.

Sometimes devils interfere to the point that taking something seems better than the alternatives. Many or most commercial somethings are either too little, too much, or a cleverly-laid path to industrialized addiction.

One has found that an old, accessible, and historically correct herb can outshoot most all commercial patent potions for the purposes of turning down the noia in a predictable, legal and moderately wholesome way:

St. John's Wort (hypericum) is readily ( legally) available as an herbal potion near everywhere and is also sold in some places as an official pharmaceutical mellower and means for misplacing aggravations and agita. Either way, it is cheap, easy, reliable and safe for most folk. (Primary caveat is that it will modulate liver enzymes in a manner similar to Grapefruit juice -- read about that.) Is sold by mail and in food stores, as well as at flowerhead herb plaices.

Over time you've won a lot of points, in my accounting, for lucid toughness, sensitivity, communicativeness and all that other sorta stuff. Hope you may find some real benefit from SJW to help perspective on the rough edges.

G-CPTN
13th Dec 2014, 16:15
I believe that you should not take St John's Wort with any other (prescribed) medication. (http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb-interaction/possible-interactions-with-st-johns-wort)

radeng
13th Dec 2014, 16:27
I too started a new drug yesterday. Had a root canal job on Thursday and was told that if it started aching, see the family doctor for an antibiotic. (There's an abscess around the root somewhere). Fortunately I had an appointment for yesterday morning, and the tooth was extremely tender then. It's worse today....Last time, it took two weeks of Doxycycline to sort out an abscess: the other tablets and the allergies restrict the choice of antibiotics.

It doesn't say not to drink in the instructions.....so Scotch might help!

ShyTorque
13th Dec 2014, 18:39
Wait until you take diabetes medicine because your (now ex) doctor made a mistake.

Damn near killed me, literally.

:eek: I thought even going as far as "an eye for an eye" was illegal?