PDA

View Full Version : FTE - Practical max age on entry

stressmerchant
12th Dec 2014, 10:10
I'm trying to make some life choices, and would be interested in the opinion of some of the experienced flight test people on here.

To give some background: I originally qualified as an aeronautical engineer, and worked in the industry for a few years. During a major downturn I could not get work, and ended up requalifying in the financial world. I worked in corporate finance for several years, but always felt a passion for aviation. About 15 years ago I resigned from a lucrative position in order to return to aeronautics, with the particular aim of qualifying as a flight test engineer. Lacking the funds for a formal training course, I took positions with various companies that promised on-the-job training. Sadly these have proved empty promises - and although I now have a lot of aeronautical engineering experience, I am also about to turn 50.

I am now faced with life choices - abandon aviation, or persevere. One does not succeed by giving up, but there is also the reality that in 15 years I have yet to even get a real entry level position. Being in Australia the options are somewhat limited, but even overseas I believe that my age is now going to count against me.

Realistically, am I going to find an entry level FTE position at 50?

HarleyD
15th Dec 2014, 10:21
Check your PMs