PDA

View Full Version : Alsoft DiskWarrior 5 (for Mac)

ExXB
11th Dec 2014, 10:34
Alsoft have just released the newest full update to DiskWarrior (http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html). Version 5.

I've had DiskWarrior since 2002 (bought OS X v10.2 at same time!)

The update for the new Version is supplied on a Flash Drive (only) although buying the new version appears to be both a download AND a FlashDrive. The upgrade is $60 (plus $12 shipping) and will likely be subject to customs duty. A new version is $120 (plus, plus).

Understand it is early days but would be interested to hear of other's experience with the new version. As said, I've used it for years paying for upgrades from time to time. This time the cost is a little steep and I'm not certain I like the idea of Flash Drive only. I'd prefer a download that I could burn to my own Flash Drive, and am unsure why they went this way - probably for piracy reasons. ???

I'd like to upgrade, but it is a little expensive ... I've got two Macs, a Macbook and an iMac, both bought in 2009.

Bushfiva
11th Dec 2014, 10:43
I think you'll find with the move away from machines with internal DVD drives, having a bootable flash drive that can start a dead computer is generally a good thing. Also, the flash drive can be updated as required, while the DVD can't.

ExXB
11th Dec 2014, 13:17
Bushfiva

I agree ... Booting from a DVD is very slow and a flash drive would be much quicker.

My comment was that the upgrades were available ONLY on flash drive, but the non-upgrade version was available both as a download and as a flash drive.

I'm not understanding why the difference ... I'd prefer to download and burn to my own flash drive.

SpringHeeledJack
11th Dec 2014, 16:49
Would you not be able to burn a dvd or transfer the downloaded and/or flash drive to other media (DVD/external hardrive) as before ? Or are they somehow 'protected' in your best interests ?

SHJ