PDA

View Full Version : How long can foreign-based aircraft operate in the US?

MisterFred
11th Dec 2014, 03:12
This is just a theory question.

But I was curious today how long a private owner could operate an aircraft in the United States that does not have an FAA type certificate.

Obviously, aircraft that don't have an FAA type certificate operate in the U.S. all the time (Antonov 124 cargo flights, Interjet's Sukhoi Superjet flights to Houston & Miami, ferry flights). But I assume that this requires either a special airworthiness certificate or is limited to international flights (can't have U.S. origin and destination).

I don't actually know, however. Let's say some crazy high-net-worth person decided they loved the Sukhoi Superjet or one of the Polish planes that don't have a U.S. type certification or something like that. So they buy their Sukhoi Business Jet or L-410.

Can they operate it out of a U.S. airport? For how long? Or can they only enjoy their Sukhoi jet in Mexico & other certifying countries?

ReverseFlight
26th Dec 2014, 07:06
Foreign registered aircraft has to comply with the registration, crewing and airworthiness requirements of its home country, over which the FAA has no jurisdiction.

As long as it purchases a US Decal, and fulfills other US Customs and FAA Part 91 operational requirements, there's nothing really to stop it from entering and operating in US airspace.

And as long it does not take up US FAA registration, there is no requirement to fulfill US importation regulations either.

I am assuming there are no special factors like US-banned countries or military variants etc.

MisterFred
27th Dec 2014, 01:42
Thank you Reverseflight.

custardpsc
27th Dec 2014, 16:50
Isn't the question also, how long can they remain in the USA without being liable for import duty?