PDA

View Full Version : VH OJA off to a museum

roundsounds
7th Dec 2014, 09:15
I wonder which museum the old girl will go to?

Qantas? first Boeing 747-400 is going into retirement after 25 years of high-flying service | News.com.au (http://mobile.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/qantas-first-boeing-747-400-is-going-into-retirement-after-25-years-of-high-flying-service/story-fnii5s3x-1227147137662)

IsDon
7th Dec 2014, 15:29
HARS at Albion Park.

Horatio Leafblower
7th Dec 2014, 16:42
Where the hell do you stash a B744 at Albion Park? :suspect:

...is HARS taking over the old RPT apron?

ACMS
7th Dec 2014, 21:55
Surely you'd send it Longreach?

airtags
8th Dec 2014, 00:57
Either is better than VCV

ACMS
8th Dec 2014, 01:13
It's a Qantas Aircraft.
It's a Qantas Museum at Longreach.
The damn Aircraft even has LONGREACH painted on the side!!

It should be put there.

cogwheel
8th Dec 2014, 01:23
Don't forget the politics ... :cool:

Rodney Rotorslap
8th Dec 2014, 01:50
ACMS

It's a Qantas Aircraft.
It's a Qantas Museum at Longreach.
The damn Aircraft even has LONGREACH painted on the side!!

It should be put there. You've asked Longreach if they want it?

Capt Kremin
8th Dec 2014, 02:55
HARS first choice, unless it can't be operationally done. Nowra as a backup. Longreach already has a 747

tail wheel
8th Dec 2014, 04:56
The Qantas Founders Museum is an entity independent of Qantas, managed by it's own Board and supported by Qantas and other airlines and individuals.

Put where at Longreach?? :confused: There is already a B742, B707, PBY Catalina and DC3 at Longreach airport exposed to the weather and costing money to maintain. I understand a Lockheed Constellation may also be headed to Longreach in the future.

Where do you propose another 747 should be parked and who will pay the construction costs and continuing maintenance costs?

Indeed, can a 744 land at Longreach?

It may be an urban myth, but I understand parking the 742 at Longreach was the most cost effective solution for Qantas. Rumour has it they did not want the aircraft scrapped in Australia and parking at Longreach was far cheaper than flying it to the USA and parking in the desert.

Qantas 787
8th Dec 2014, 05:23
Longreach doesn't have the room for it........and they really need to spend money for some cover over the 747, 707 and now the Connie to protect them from the elements.

At least it will get a lot of attention from HARS and will be well looked after. And a short drive from Sydney, rather than 2 hour flight from Brisbane.

TBM-Legend
8th Dec 2014, 05:49
Great for HARS and those in years to come who don't want to journey to the "back of beyond" to see one>>>

With a Connie/C-47/DC-4/B747/Cat at HARS they've duplicated Longreach..:D

ozziekiwi
8th Dec 2014, 05:50
Guys I got an email today from AUS BT saying that VH-OJA is going to the Mojave Desert but I can't give you the link here because I deleted the email and then emptied the trash box but check this link out anyway.

First delivered QANTAS 747-400 "VH-OJA" to be retired in December - Airline Hub Buzz | Airline news and Information (http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com/first-delivered-qantas-747-400-vh-oja-retired-december/)

Cheers

Ozziekiwi

Fris B. Fairing
8th Dec 2014, 06:42
ozziekiwi

That report is dated 26 Nov. Things have changed since then.

TBM-Legend

Almost duplicated. No DC-4 at Longreach yet. That can be fixed if someone can convince Buffalo Joe McBryan to donate the former VH-EDB.

Andu
8th Dec 2014, 07:46
This makes me feel old. I can remember it landing at YSSY (then ASSY) - apparently with not much more than fumes in its tanks - in very heavy rain, after the direct flight from London with about 20 VIPs on board. I seem to remember they cooked up a special batch of avtur to give them slightly better range.

skkm
8th Dec 2014, 08:10
Can one land at Wollongong?

Yes, at MLW! (just)

ACMS
8th Dec 2014, 08:59
So why can't Longreach wack down some concrete and bobs ya uncle.

Yes if a 747-200 can land there then a 400 could as well.

So what if they already have a 747 707 etc, it is a museum dedicated to Qantas and they also should source an F27 DC9 and 727 to complete a nice set of Aussie heavy metal ( well apart from the F27 !! )

It's only money...:ouch:

morno
8th Dec 2014, 10:33
Have many of you been to Longreach? There's not exactly a lot of room left around the museum there...

ACMS
8th Dec 2014, 11:12
Surely they could scramble up a company willing to donate some concrete to expand their hard stands? Wouldn't need to be too thick as the Aircraft are quite light ( relatively speaking without fuel or pax or freight ) and don't move around much. The ground itself must be damn hard too.

Surely they would wet themselves over the prospect of a 400???

Maybe not??:(

tdracer
8th Dec 2014, 14:12
25 years, 106,000 hours, 13,800 cycles.

Sounds like they got their moneys worth out of her :ok:

morno
8th Dec 2014, 21:33
ACMS,
There physically is no where around the museum to put it. Not unless they want to park it next to the threshold of Runway 03. Or put it well away from the museum.

The ground is not 'damn hard' either. They recently had to get a crane in to lift the nose of EBQ up so they could redo the concrete under the nose wheel, because it was sinking. Black soil country, just about anything will sink in it.

Personally I don't see what significance the 747-400 has over the 747-200. The -200 was the entry into the 'Jumbo' era, the -400 was simply just an upgrade.

morno

Cockpit Door-Closed
9th Dec 2014, 07:42
Read about that London-Sydney delivery flight.....

VH-OJA Boeing 747 (http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-747/vh-oja/vhoja%20article/vhojastory.html)

Buckshot
9th Dec 2014, 09:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz2GS5aG4C4

Man the lifejackets
9th Dec 2014, 09:52
as a survivor of vh nga (check it out) I an trying to work out the emotional attachment you guys have to a number?

Fris B. Fairing
9th Dec 2014, 21:03
Lifejackets

It's all to do with the magic of flight and the belief that an aeroplane is not just a machine but a living breathing thing that has a personality all its own. There's also a component of new isn't necessarily better.

Are you sure you're not an accountant - or a mathematician for that matter.

Rgds

TIMA9X
10th Dec 2014, 01:07

Thanks for the great link cdc, and a little more about the day she arrived..

Nvz7a8FHIeY

ACMS
11th Dec 2014, 08:12
Just read a release from Longreach Museum on Facebook saying they will NOT be getting OJA but thankyou to all for showing interest in the Qantas founders museum.

The Aircraft is going to the HARS group at Albion Park.

It's now scheduled to operate an extra flight from LAX back to SYD on Dec 18th. QF 18

( it's already in LAX now sitting around I guess as that was supposed to be its last flight before going to Victorville )

PyroTek
11th Dec 2014, 12:35
My sources who have sources in the Qantas also point to HARS.:cool:

criticalmass
11th Dec 2014, 22:57
As a user of YWOL on an almost daily basis, attempting to land a 747-400 there would raise several significant issues.

The only runway it could conceivably use is 34/16, which is just over 1800m long and rated to 25 tonnes. It's 30m wide, with grass either side. It has a PAPI and a published GPS approach at either end. Nothing else.

I am not sure either the runway itself, or the turning bays at either end, are strong enough to suport the aircraft or to allow it to turn it around, under its own power or being towed. To remove the requirement to turn the aircraft around on the runway after landing it would have perform a full-stop landing to finish by the intersection, meaning only runway 16 is "in play", and one hell of a lot of reverse-thrust would be required. It will require an exemption for overweight operations as a "once-off".

I have doubts the taxiway to the HARS area would also suport the aircraft, since it was laid down in the days of YWOL being a 5.7t airport, although it does support Connie. (Not sure what the pavement-loading difference between the 747 and Connie landing-gear actually is. At least the 747 has a lot more tyres to spread the pressure over.)

So flying it there presents serious technical issues, but if anyone here has more detailed knowledge maybe they can shed more light on these matters.

If OJA comes to YWOL it may well do so on several large trucks, to be re-assembled in-situ. Information to hand via the council suggests it will occupy a large space between HARS and where the old restaurant used to be (where the Dash-8s of old used to park).

If it does come to YWOL, it will be a tourist drawcard indeed, and the HARS people will take good care of her. And, if someone does have the conjones to land it here, there will be an enthusiastic and numerous audience to witness what will be truly a once-in-a-lifetime sight, sound and experience.

HarleyD
12th Dec 2014, 01:28
If It's going to KMHV, so i will see it again soon, if I'm quick enough.

The scrappies are really chomping their way through the fleets of retired heavies there, and most days the sounds of the crashing thumping and grinding sounds of these once noble airframes as they succumb to the demolition machines is like they are crying out in their death throes, doing their best to resist, futile as that may be.

Its always a bit sad for me to see another 74 with its back broken, and the compactor pit awaiting the smaller chunks as they are torn off, dragged across the sand to be crushed.

I have some pics that I took last time I was there of a heavy being reduced to scrap, but cant get one to stick. from the air it was getting smaller by the day and was gone in a week or so, then the next one gets towed to the killing floor.

Week in week out.

I was there years ago when the place was covered in Ansett jets, and it was packed there after 9-11 and the commercial/bankruptcy fall out that followed that event.

whats left is a drop in the bucket compared to ten-fifteen years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjaoR7Zk2s

youtube item is a bit long winded but there are some interesting things to see:

at 00:21 there is a 747 I saw chopped up earlier this year. It got smaller every day I flew.

at 01:01 and 4:58 is the ship from the movie waterworld which was filmed there ( not right there, it was on a concrete pan a few hundred meters away.). the Helio Courier from that film was at chino last I saw.

at 04:27 there are a couple of the remaining F-100's. I saw one of these fly away! it was headed for China lake.

04:38 is a couple of C-133's that have been there since the airport was active military base I believe.

04:42 the Gimli Glider, which now has the engines off I think,

I saw some Q jets at Victorville when I was there a some months ago. VCV is taking over as the main scrap yard. whilst some are there for short term storage, most await the huge jaws of the killing machines.

Sic Transit Gloria

HD

vee1-rotate
12th Dec 2014, 09:20
As a user of YWOL on an almost daily basis, attempting to land a 747-400 there would raise several significant issues.

Errrm .... you do realise they took a 747-200 into Longreach, right ? Min fuel, stopped it on the runway and towed it to final parking position etc etc. Pretty sure if they can get EBQ into YLRE they can get OJA into YWOL

Wunwing
12th Dec 2014, 19:46
Last week there was alot of work going on at IRA, demolishing the remains of the burnt terminal and control tower complex.

Maybe cooincidence but it ties in here with the suggested location of OJA final resting place.

Wunwing

cogwheel
13th Dec 2014, 11:34
I guess WOL would not be a real problem, seeing that SAA flew two 747's into Rand Aerodrome in Jo'burg some years back. Even landed on the grass!
Welcome to The SAA Museum Society (http://www.saamuseum.co.za/) Search U Tube for the SP landing there.

Will certainly draw a crowd I expect :ok::ok::ok:

Atlas Shrugged
29th Jan 2015, 01:36

and the Flight plan.....

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/general%20images/QFA741-flight-plan-1st-non-stop-England-Australia.jpg

AEROMEDIC
7th Feb 2015, 06:10
Wonderful to see such a donation by Qantas to an aviation museum.

The cynic in me thinks that no profitable disposal option had been secured. After all, a complete and operational 747-400 being delivered FOC is a rare event indeed.

Sometimes PR returns more than the cash gained from asset sales.

Fantome
7th Feb 2015, 09:08
I am trying to work out the emotional attachment you guys have to a number? This could be the subject for a doctoral thesis. You've got a savant like Rainman, who could rattle off page after page of the phone book. And also happpened to know the air safety statistics for Qantas.

Then there was the Railwayman character, subject of a recent movie, whose knowledge of railway timetables was staggering.

But more ordinary brains do retain a mass of numbers relating to motor cars and aeroplane types. What really impresses is the way certain engineers and others knowledgeable about aero engines can retain the strings of numbers and letters pertaining to a particular engine.

Remember though, the good healthy minded aviator type will always be fascinated to know (and appreciate) certain vital staistics.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BB5PH2/loren-sophia-2091934-italian-actress-vital-statistics-compared-with-BB5PH2.jpg (http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-loren-sophia-2091934-italian-actress-vital-statistics-compared-with-24099070.html)

captainrats
10th Feb 2015, 02:21
With the impending delivery of VH OJA to HARS at Albion Park has anyone considered involving Capt.David Massy Greene in the process ?
David was the Captain on the history making non stop flight from London to Sydney on OJA in 1989.

Stanwell
10th Feb 2015, 13:05
Hey, Cap'n.
What do you think?

See you at Albion Park.

partial aviator
17th Feb 2015, 13:37
YWOL ... March 8

LeadSled
20th Feb 2015, 11:51
They recently had to get a crane in to lift the nose of EBQ up

And managed to do quite a bit of damage to the fuselage in the process, having declined expert assistance, so I am told.

Tootle pip!!

Stanwell
20th Feb 2015, 14:11
Umm, have I missed something?
What's that to do with -OJA?

Keg
20th Feb 2015, 20:18
Read the post by morno written on 9 December and it'll become clear.

Going Boeing
20th Feb 2015, 21:04
HARS will be constructing a hangar to protect OJA from the corrosive effects of damp salt laden air that will be experienced at YWOL. It would be great if the B747 & B707 at Longreach could be protected from the heat/sunlight as well.

morno
21st Feb 2015, 00:00
That's a bugger Keg. Any idea what damage they did? I was lead to believe (going by their Facebook) that it all went well.

morno

Minimbah
21st Feb 2015, 00:10
Pretty close to the fences already at Longreach ....

.https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7yEA29bFV4A/VAAVnvitvxI/AAAAAAAAOs0/R0Ev3vh2ui4/s720/Q1408076.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BNF-jSG0mmM/VOfZLjBSCuI/AAAAAAAAPBs/53KfoHyJq80/s720/Q1408073.JPG

SARWATCH
1st Mar 2015, 07:17
Does anyone know what time?

FJ44
1st Mar 2015, 07:28
7:47am perhaps.

Jay Arr
1st Mar 2015, 22:15
They are certainly not in a big hurry to get information out about this flight and how best to view it. HARS website only just now saying there will be restrictions and road closures, but doesn't elaborate further.

A call to HARS has gone unanswered (they are probably fielding several hundred enquiries this morning).

A call to the Shellharbour Council was more useful. They have an internal email detailing restrictions - but are yet to bother informing the public by way of their website......

Anyway here's a little info:

(1) Tongarra Rd, Illawarra Hwy and north-bound Princess Hwy will be closed 10 minutes prior to planned landing until after it's landed. That means potentially closed from 0740 until whenever.

(2) No pedestrian access along Tongarra Rd will be allowed. No one allowed along the fence line. "Safety concerns." I can kind of understand that.

(3) No access to the airport.

(4) Unknown at this stage - whether you can fly in or not. I'm hearing there will be NOTAM restricting movements after 7am. Nothing in NAIPS yet. And then whether you are even permitted to be on the ground somewhere inside airport with your aircraft after 7am - council girl didn't know.

All in all, very poor dissemination of information to the public and aviation enthusiasts, IMHO.

tipsy2
1st Mar 2015, 22:55
Give them time JR. They are not there just to answer you. Also bear in mind that there is a local council involved in this and they are often not the most switched on as far as aviation matters go. Closing a few roads (as you have indicated) is what they know, aviation stuff is a bit of a mystery to them.

You may also find the HARS people are still on their way home from Avalon.

There is still plenty of time to disseminate any relevant operational information.

Tipsy:hmm:

Jay Arr
1st Mar 2015, 23:08
Tipsy2: I would have thought that six days out, someone would have on a website somewhere that minor detail that the airport is closed to the general public.

And within a week people do want to be planning: whether to fly down, drive down or simply not bother because they can't get a decent view. Can we fly down? As of today no one knows.

Not expecting them to drop everything and answer the phone just for me, but I would have though they'd have detailed info out there for EVERYONE, in the public domain in a timely manner. And they don't.

tipsy2
2nd Mar 2015, 01:03
JR, define "timely manner"

Tipsy

Jay Arr
2nd Mar 2015, 03:37
You want to have a go at me because I (a) decided there was a complete lack of info about the event with 6 days to go and went seeking it; and (b) shared it with the wider audience here for everyone's benefit (which has the additional benefit of taking some pressure of HARS and the council); and (c) think that such info should be available on websites by now? Well there you go. Very Ppruney, very Aussie. I shouldn't have bothered sharing it, obviously, should have just kept it to myself.

FWIW, "timely" means enough time to rent an aircraft, or maybe book a hotel in local area if the idea of a 3am wakeup Sunday to drive 3.5 hours doesn't appeal and seeing what public transport between local hotels and YWOL is available. I know of three different parties considering flying down, one of whom would be bringing his 4 year old son. If flying is not an option he would like to know now, would get a hotel; doesn't want to wake the 4 yr old at 3am. Etcetera, etcetera. So if we cannot even enter the airport or land at the airport or even stand along Tangarra Rd this would be useful information six days out.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered with PPrune!

noip
2nd Mar 2015, 05:53
www.facebook.com/hars.gen (http://www.facebook.com/hars.gen)

There are a couple of articles there about the arrival.

Council have indicated that anything N or S of the runway will be closed off to Vehicles and Pedestrians.

morno
2nd Mar 2015, 08:18
Sheesh, someone's got the cranks.

Perhaps everything hasn't been finalised? Perhaps when they thought "Hell I think we should fly OJA to Wollongong" the next thought wasn't "Right, let's sort out some info quick so that all those plane geek's can book their accommodation"? :ugh:

I doubt they're going to let anyone too close and it's landing at around 0750 I believe. There you go, that's all the info you need.

morno

AusFlygal
4th Mar 2015, 04:56
I've cut and pasted this from the Hars website:

HARS eagerly awaits the delivery of City of Canberra, a Boeing 747-438 (VH-OJA). She is expected to arrive at Illawarra Regional Airport at 07:50 on Sunday 8 March. VH-OJA is scheduled to takeoff from Sydney at 07:30 for the short flight. We understand that she will fly down the coast at a relatively low altitude, turn right between Wollongong and Port Kembla (probably over the top of the harbour and the steelworks), then turn left at West Dapto to line up on runway 16/34.

If you are planning to view the landing then be aware that a number of restrictions and road closures will be in place for the expected time of landing.

For further details check out the Shellharbour City Council site here.

The name is Porter
4th Mar 2015, 07:13
You're having a go at a bloke that wants to be there for the arrival and wants to plan for it??

How very typical of our precious red taped country, FFS it's an aeroplane flying into an aerodrome and we have to: Close roads, ban fence watching, close the aerodrome. The sad thing is that most of you think that it's justified.

Any council with any brains would be promoting this as an event and getting as many of you as they can drinking beers, staying overnight at the local hotels & buying as much greasy food as you can get into you. Save your money JR for somewhere that wants your coin mate!

Stanwell
4th Mar 2015, 08:44
Totally agree, Porter.
I, for one, am (what's the polite expression?) a bit miffed.

Not impressed with HARS (and Shellharbour) over this one. Knock, knock... anybody home?

Fris B. Fairing
4th Mar 2015, 08:54
Let's keep things in perspective. Like most of the aviation museums in Australia, HARS is run by volunteers (who probably have quite a bit on their plates at the moment). Accepting responsibility for this aeroplane is a very significant commitment on HARS' part so let's just be thankful that they are prepared to step up, for without HARS it would have been Victorville.

The name is Porter
4th Mar 2015, 09:48
Ahhhh, my post is not knocking HARS

Stanwell
4th Mar 2015, 13:11
No.
Let's just say that, given the lead time, things could have been done better - considering the import of the event.
I was at Mascot when she arrived way back then (no problem, I was rostered on anyway) but a few of us would have liked to have witnessed her last landing from a decent perspective, that's all.
(We will, anyway, if we can find out where that damn 'sports centre' is supposed to be.)
Good luck, everybody.

syzygy
5th Mar 2015, 00:04
Looks like an 8nm exclusion zone around the airport for the arrival. I wonder if the media or polair are allowed to operate?

WOLLONGONG (YWOL)
C16/15 REVIEW C4/15

C21/15
NO PARKING AVBL EXCEPT FOR AUTHORISED OPR ONLY
CONTACT 0407 201 851 FOR APPROVAL
FROM 03 060630 TO 03 080100

C18/15
AD NOT AVBL EXCEPT FOR AUTHORISED OPR ONLY
CONTACT 0407 201 851 FOR APPROVAL
FROM 03 071900 TO 03 080100 EST

C19/15
TEMPO RESTRICTED AREA ACT
WI 8NM RAD OF AD CENTRED UPON S34 33 03 E150 47 30 THEN FROM S34 25
58 E150 50 43, EASTERLY TO S34 18 48 E151 08 04, SOUTHERLY TO S34 20
36 E151 09 08 THEN WESTERLY TO S34 27 07 E150 53 18 EXCLUDING THAT
PORTION WI CONTROLLED AIRSPACE OR R420.
NO FLIGHT PERMITTED WITHOUT THE APPROVAL OF THE CONTROLLING AUTHORITY
0407 201 851
SFC TO 4500FT AMSL
FROM 03 072030 TO 03 072130

Wunwing
5th Mar 2015, 04:34
I think that you will find that most of the arrangements are out of HARS controll and from what I've seen they have just received the final info themselves.

YWOL is owned by a local council and they and the local emergency services are way out of their comfort zone on this one. This is not Sydney, this is a regional area and the biggest aircraft that they normally deal with are Hercs and the Connie.Just to get the approval to bring the aircraft in to the airport has been a major effort.On top of that they had in a short time to beg and borow all the ground equipment just to get the aircraft to its resting place. Their ex Ansett tug used on the Connie is not quite up to the task and neither is the local part timers (retained) fire truck.

HARS has done as good a job as they could given their situation and they should be commended for it.

And no, I'm no longer am member so not biased at all

Wunwing

tipsy2
5th Mar 2015, 09:18
NO FLIGHT PERMITTED WITHOUT THE APPROVAL OF THE CONTROLLING AUTHORITY
0407 201 851

So, who/what is the "controlling authority"?

Tipsy:cool:

almostthere!
5th Mar 2015, 10:35
did you ring them and ask?

001steve
5th Mar 2015, 11:54
Im hoping to see some pretty spectacular shots of her coming in to land.
Already planning my next run down there to see her. :)

ozaggie
5th Mar 2015, 13:06
Well, FFS, we may be getting our knickers in a bit of a twist! Close airspace, TRA's, runway closures! Spare me! I have done 80+landings on the same strip as 2 other aircraft on the same day, in the course of my employment. I have been instructed to land long on 34 at Mascot in '88 over a Mooney, of all things! I have never heard the rubbish that you folk attribute to this simple ferry flight! Get over it. Be thankful it's not going to the desert! 1800 odd mets! There is not a skipper in QF that would fear for this approach and landing, they live for it! Google 'Gimli Glider', and learn a bit about being a pilot!

Captain Gidday
5th Mar 2015, 14:47
I don't have any inside info on the parameters being used.
But, a reasonable guess would be that:

If there is any tailwind component on 16, i.e. any breeze from the North, the mission will be scrubbed. [Rwy 34 isn't suitable for landing a 747].

Additionally, there will be very restrictive crosswind limits also. Max 10, or even 5, would be my guess.

If the runway is not completely dry, the mission will be scrubbed.

Don't assume it is just all going to happen at 7.50 this Sunday. A lot has to be favourable on the day.

[Perfect conditions would be 20 knots of steady Southerly straight down the runway, in my opinion. Like landing into Wellington, NZ in the -SP, back in the day, wind is your friend. Up to a point.]

Rodney Rotorslap
5th Mar 2015, 20:23
Google 'Gimli Glider', and learn a bit about being a pilot! You mean like making sure you have enough fuel?

tipsy2
5th Mar 2015, 22:10
did you ring them and ask?

That info normally constitutes the part in a notam advising who actually is the authority for the notam. .

Ring them, too late at night to bother, besides as I said it is the sort of info that authorises a notam.

Whoever they are aren't that confident in themselves to put their name to it.

Tipsy

jwcook
7th Mar 2015, 21:01
http://s1.postimg.org/r19pfsebz/P3080137.jpg
Just landed.

AnAussieNut
7th Mar 2015, 21:01
Looks like she made it ok.(Not that I expected anything different)

VH-OJA ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHOJA)

And as good an aircraft as the A380 is for me the 747 will always be the queen of the skies,happy retirement VH-OJA.

Cheers

(You just beat me to it jwcook :):))

jwcook
7th Mar 2015, 21:20
I live local, Just assumed there would be a few spotters.....

The place was heaving with people, on ladders, tops of cars, buildings and sheds.

Fantastic spectacle for all. :-)

Buckshot
7th Mar 2015, 21:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRK78EznO1Y&feature=youtu.be

jwcook
7th Mar 2015, 21:28
From right underneath....

http://youtu.be/e36-MqcZgOo

Trent 972
7th Mar 2015, 21:54
Jwcook, nice video, but that has to be by far the best soundtrack on any video on You Tube, EVER! Awesome. :ok:

The Green Goblin
7th Mar 2015, 22:35
Sounded like a porno :)

bankrunner
7th Mar 2015, 23:04
http://i.imgur.com/NRlTVlY.jpg

Glad I made the trip to see her off. Even happier that she's still the City of Canberra, rather than the City of Victorville!

jwcook
8th Mar 2015, 01:20
You can see the kid on the roof of the car in both pictures, But I half chopped him off !! :-), great picture BTW...

RENURPP
8th Mar 2015, 03:04
quote from the utube clipOne of the best feelings ever...underneath a 747

sounded liken she may have been on top and before it had even "rolled off" the runway, she was asking for more :) :0

Flyer517
8th Mar 2015, 03:21
Just saw a clip on YouTube from head on and it appears they put her down with one nose wheel either side of the centreline. Class.

Like This - Do That
8th Mar 2015, 04:52
Trent

Jwcook, nice video, but that has to be by far the best soundtrack on any video on You Tube, EVER! Awesome.

You mean the soundtrack of a woman moaning "Oh my God, OH MY GOD ...." :}

Rotor Work
8th Mar 2015, 06:34
Great photos & video, crew spent 25 hours in the Flight Sim preparing for the landing
(reported on ABC news)
Regards RW

Madame Bandit
8th Mar 2015, 07:19
Just incredible stuff guys. Spending 25 nail biting hours in the Sim and then pull that off with such grace and precision was worth watching from half a world away. Magnificent display of skill on getting each nose wheel either side of the centreline of a 30 mt wide strip is a credit to you all. Only 4 (or was it 5?) senior QF Capt’s in one cockpit could have averted disaster with this.

You really do make us all very proud to be Australian aviators. Thank you. :D

Just one question thou. Was there any senior First Officer or two given the ‘once in a career opportunity’ to participate in this or were they considered generally too inexperienced and an embarrassment to have three bars in attendance?

SandyPalms
8th Mar 2015, 07:25
As I understand it. There was a Captain, F/O and S/O supported by a Check Captain.

Gas Bags
8th Mar 2015, 07:45
Couldn't agree more Madame Bandit...I was riveted to the you tube clip as well watching such an awesome display of airmanship after a measly 25 hours practice. This truly is a credit to the systems in place at that fine airline. I seriously doubt this could have been pulled off anywhere else in the world, or by any other airline in the world, with such precision. Truly inspirational stuff.

With a bit of luck one of the captains on board will write a book about these amazing feats of airmanship and how the subtleties and nuances of such an operation were overcome with only 4 pilots on board and with no obvious clues to Joe Sixpack out there, fat dumb and happy with their Nikon, taking happy snaps as it all unfolded as if it were just landing an aircraft on a runway.

This is one happy camper hoping it will be so.

ratpoison
8th Mar 2015, 08:33
Classic Madame and particularly Gas Bags....:D:D
I've had to drag the laptop by it's chord down to the floor I'm laughing so much. To quote Madame....."Thank you" :p

Shark Patrol
8th Mar 2015, 08:42
Some of you people really are sad ...

The Green Goblin
8th Mar 2015, 08:57
Hahahah

It wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't so true :)

A good thing about Aussies is we can take the piss out of ourselves as much as we can everyone else.

Old Fella
8th Mar 2015, 09:05
Gas Bags, please!!! The landing of VH-OJA today was certainly done with precision, but to suggest it could not have been done in any other part of the world or by any other airline is a big call. The crew had prepared themselves very well. The aircraft was as light as possible with minimum fuel and the weather was ideal. Aviation is littered with amazing achievements. Back in 1963 the U.S. Navy conducted C130 Hercules landings and take-offs to and from the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal, all with out the aid of RATO, arrestor hooks or catapaults. That was skilful.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

wishiwasupthere
8th Mar 2015, 09:08
Someone missed the sarcasm memo.

Snakecharma
8th Mar 2015, 09:33
I reckon Harmon Rabb Junior could have done just as good a job. :)

And pretty sure he wouldn't have needed 25 hrs in the trembling cave to do it either!

25 hrs - that's nearly a full endorsement!

vee1-rotate
8th Mar 2015, 10:16
pffft all this talk over a non event

let me know when they get an A380 into Camden, maybe then I'll wake up at 6am on a Sunday

:8

Madame Bandit
8th Mar 2015, 10:16
Sunday lunchtime with half a dozen Aussies at the Hofbräuhaus München looking at pprune and wishing our 744 was white with a red tail. :ok:

None of us are looking sad Shark Patrol!:D

Stanwell
8th Mar 2015, 11:19
and I guess she watches a lot of American TV programs, too.
We were in the same area but thankfully out of earshot of that woman.

It was, actually, quite a moving event, historically speaking.
I've watched OJA's first landing in OZ - and its last.

OxfordGold
8th Mar 2015, 19:56
The SAA 747 at Rand airport landing on a 15m width Runway certainly beats this QF retirement.

http://youtu.be/ap_nyRzEOMI

However good to see this 747 going to a good home.

OzSync
8th Mar 2015, 22:39
Oh my god is just the allahu akbar of the western world.

Madame Bandit
9th Mar 2015, 00:54
Don't know about that OxfordGold. Wooly is double the width at 30mt, but there were no precautionary go-arounds. First approach straight in.

These QF guys are good Ox, really really good. :D

http://youtu.be/L0f8srL_mq4

tery84vx
9th Mar 2015, 01:15
Is there any particular reason why OJA outlived some of the other 747-400's at QF?

Keg
9th Mar 2015, 01:22
Maintenance scheduling issues. It was the same reason that many of the newer 767s were retired before many of the older ones. As they came up to a major check at different times, they were just pensioned off.

AnQrKa
9th Mar 2015, 01:44
Lucky there is a flange at the end of it otherwise your hands would be slipping off.

Ha, anyone actually belive they spent 25 hours in the sim? Doing what exactly. Practising a landing the aircraft is certified and capable of doing?

Its good PR spin for the schmuck on the street to think QF are better than anyone else.

Good grief.

Capt_SNAFU
9th Mar 2015, 01:50
Seriously Madame,

I don't mean to down play the flying skills displayed (which were excellent BTW), but I reckon that 80% of line pilots for most airlines would be capable of doing what the guys did. 9m left or right of centreline is along way for any pilot let alone most of them.

Keg
9th Mar 2015, 02:36
Geez, some of you guys need to get your sarcasm meters adjusted. I'm pretty sure Madame was taking the piss.

Does anyone think they spent 25 hours just shooting approaches onto that runway? I suspect they would have done lots of go arounds both all engine and engine out, three engine approaches and go arounds, windshear escape manoeuvres (always interesting with that sort of terrain around), rejected landings, maybe some TCAS stuff from a potentially errant lightie and of course a few circuits. Now add similar stuff in for the F/O as well with the difficulty and lost time of sim resets and I can see 25 hours without too much difficulty.

Imagine had they not done that work and something had gone awry. I can see the PPRUNE crowd shouting 'why didn't they do more work in the sim'. Sometimes when it's got a red tail with a white marsupial on it you're just destined to be slagged no matter what you do. :rolleyes: :ugh: :(

Stanwell
9th Mar 2015, 04:26
Keg,
I'm not sure why - but this thread seems to have brought quite a few of them out of the woodwork. :rolleyes:

Ken Borough
9th Mar 2015, 05:20
Sometimes when it's got a red tail with a white marsupial on it you're just destined to be slagged no matter what you do

Keg,

Jealousy is such a curse!

Madame Bandit
9th Mar 2015, 05:35
Say as you will Keg. This is just an incredible inspirational dream for these up and coming young aviators.

http://youtu.be/qFqJNhX_hNI (The "Queen of the Skies", our VH-OJA as QF7474)

Just freeze it Keg at 2.31 and really observe the look on that young fella dressed smartly in his blue uniform. The look of pride, inspired dedication and probably a fulfilled dream to even have the ‘opportunity’ to stand before and shake the hand of such skilled and elite Capt’s.

I personaly wish I was that young girl standing so proudly beside her colleague. The music, the vision and the poured out display of dedication to our unique and legacy carrier on this video should be something that all Australians can be proud of.

Those young people will be wearing that cap with scrambled egg one day Keg. The crew of VH-OJA will make that happen. As Gas Bags said, I also hope they all write a book about this experience. This approach and landing will, as suggested, go down in Australian aviation history. This approach and landing will make the future Qantas Captain and the dream to be. :D:ok:

This stuff really makes a woman well up.

Stanwell
9th Mar 2015, 05:51
"This stuff really makes a woman well up."

Like the one heard on the youtube vid - orgasming as OJA was on short finals? :hmm:

TIMA9X
9th Mar 2015, 10:14
The locals in the Illawarra haven't stopped talking about OJA's arrival all day today (Mon), they are pretty proud to have her, so a win win for all concerned. It really was nice to hear live the crowd cheering when she landed with all the chatter that followed.

Qantas lands its first 747-400 at tiny Illawarra airport | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2015/03/08/qantas-lands-its-first-747-400-at-tiny-illawarra-airport/)

I like the line in this video

"That's why he's getting paid for his job mate" punter speak for, "a textbook landing." :D

qanZt8b5PRM

wooski
9th Mar 2015, 11:04
from the flightdeck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoDKEGz9QMY
and the qantas vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqJNhX_hNI

The Green Goblin
9th Mar 2015, 12:02
We really are all a bunch of carnts.

I guarantee anyone one of us would have fallen over ourselves to be in the hot seat for such an occasion.

Many would have exchanged a particular left or right dangly bit between our legs. You can after all still stroke it with one :)

Fantome
9th Mar 2015, 12:19
Ratty . . . . please repack the lunchbox while I try to fix my foolish mistake . . . . Moley

ratpoison
9th Mar 2015, 12:42
No probs my friend. Having a rather large Scottish beer with her now and she sends her hugs and kisses. Many of us are having a giggle at what is goin on back home. Ditto with the delete. Stay safe champ.

Valdiviano
9th Mar 2015, 21:26
A long time and a long way from the Pilbara, Capt G M, flying N22S into WW2 airstrips, small saplings attacking the wing tips of CEI, if you read this, have a look at your 13/3/1981 log book entry.
Congratulations.
Miss the good old days.

NSEU
9th Mar 2015, 23:58
What sort of condition will they keep the aircraft in? Will they strip the aircraft of its avionics? Surely this museum wouldn't have the resources to keep all the systems airworthy? (even with volunteer workers). Some of the parts for these aircraft cost hundred$ of thou$ands.

Fris B. Fairing
10th Mar 2015, 00:55
I thought it a nice touch that the all stations inbound call identified the aeroplane as Oscar Juliet Alpha. None of this Flight Number Callsign nonsense.

Keg
10th Mar 2015, 00:55
A used 744 sells for only a couple of mill according to Joyce in December last year. QF's 767s were getting a higher price on the world market due to their on going use than a 744 which are just being broken up for parts and scrap.

The name is Porter
10th Mar 2015, 01:49
We really are all a bunch of carnts.

I guarantee anyone one of us would have fallen over ourselves to be in the hot seat for such an occasion.

Many would have exchanged a particular left or right dangly bit between our legs. You can after all still stroke it with one

I think the majority of readers agree with you, 100% accurate Gobbler.

Fantome
10th Mar 2015, 02:10
just an aside, on the rationale behind 'you can still stroke it with one'.
That may not be 100% true, or may be at least questionable, if we are considering hard facts,
unless you can testify, testicularly, and informably, to the physiological consequences of being deficient
in that department, wholly or partially.

speccie as it was for all spectators, there was never any doubt that she'd fit OK. All the rehearsals
ensured that. As was the case at Longreach for the landing of the one gifted by Qantas to the museum there in 2002.

LeadSled
10th Mar 2015, 07:28
there was never any doubt that she'd fit OK.

Folks,
Have a look at Wellington, NZ, and we flew B747SP in/out of there for years, usually in very "interesting" winds. Give or take a couple of meters, the length is the same.

The takeoff and landing performance of a B747-200/200/400 is better than an SP, if you had a copy of the landing field length graphs, for the weight they were at, you might be surprised how little was required.
Tootle pip!!

bankrunner
10th Mar 2015, 12:11
I thought it a nice touch that the all stations inbound call identified the aeroplane as Oscar Juliet Alpha. None of this Flight Number Callsign nonsense.

The "caution wake turbulence" they added on every second call was rather prudent too with all those lighties hanging about :E

puff
10th Mar 2015, 12:35
Amazing to think of the history in a aircraft that old really. Imagine the number of crew that have operated it, FAs that had worked on it, line checks done on it, check to lines, first flights on the line, engineers that had worked on it on some way or another.

A lot of history on that old bird, after driving through VCV last year nice to see one not cut up!

Nice work to everyone involved, no matter who you work for it's great for the industry.

Stanwell
10th Mar 2015, 13:58
puff,
Hear, hear to that.

I just had to go down there to witness that final arrival.
It must be said, though, that it was a little 'bittersweet', having watched her arrival at Mascot on that day back in '89.

It's so good to know that, for many years to come, we'll be able to (figuratively speaking) pat her on the bum and say "Well done, old girl !"

And to HARS... :ok:

Going Boeing
10th Mar 2015, 16:50
What sort of condition will they keep the aircraft in? Will they strip the aircraft of its avionics? Surely this museum wouldn't have the resources to keep all the systems airworthy? (even with volunteer workers). Some of the parts for these aircraft cost hundred$ of thou$ands.

NSEU, HARS have the funds recently donated to build a hangar for OJA as it is essential to protect it from the damp salt laden air experienced in Wollongong. It is to be a static display in the condition/configuration that it arrived so all the parts that are on it will remain in-situ and no ongoing parts required.

hoss58
11th Mar 2015, 00:47
One thing that did occur to me is this.
Anyone who has been involved in the aviation industry for any length of time (in my case over 35 years ) will have seen many and varied changes. Some for the good eg safety and some not so good eg 9/11 etc. Most of us have heard the phrase "where ere you when this happened "i.e where were you the day JFK was shot. I would like to think that with so many people in attendance for OJA's arrival especially kids that as the kids get older and someone asks the question where were you the day OJA arrived at the "Gong" that at least some of them will be able to respond " oh I was there"' Sentimental? maybe but I would like to think that with so many negative things about aviation there are still some things worth hanging on to.

hotnhigh
11th Mar 2015, 01:04
HARS have the funds recently donated to build a hangar for OJA

I hope qantas didn't quote them.
No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/hang-about-its-how-much-for-an-aircraft-hangar-these-days/story-fn7j19iv-1226307646855)

NSEU
11th Mar 2015, 01:17
It is to be a static display in the condition/configuration that it arrived so all the parts that are on it will remain in-situ and no ongoing parts required.

Thanks, Going Boeing.

I was partly wondering if the aircraft would be powered electrically, with the all the cockpit displays working. Otherwise it would be a pretty dull experience. Anyway, you can probably buy replacement Boeing equipment on eBay nowadays :ok: And I'm sure the flightsimming community could provide workarounds if required :}

ruddman
11th Mar 2015, 04:42
...i just did this approach and landing in a 747-400 with one hand on my joystick and the other holding a can of VB.

Not that hard...:}

capt.cynical
11th Mar 2015, 05:00
The joystick bit I will believe. Not sure about the VB !!

Stanwell
11th Mar 2015, 05:42
I did a few approaches into YWOL using OJA's go-pro dashcam.
Got it right every time!

FWRWATPLX2
11th Mar 2015, 07:58
For a replete write-up and tribute, please visit:

http://www.wingslapper.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8206&p=57271

bankrunner
11th Mar 2015, 11:55
I did a few approaches into YWOL using OJA's go-pro dashcam.

Hope they had an approved mount for that :E

Going Boeing
11th Mar 2015, 17:11
Hope they had an approved mount for that

Years ago, QF got approval for a removable camera mount to be fitted to the glareshield in front of the F/O so that it could be fed through to the IFE system. This was for use on Antarctic charter flights and it allowed those who weren't at windows to see what's happening outside (pax were rotated through window seats so that everyone got a share of the viewing).

I assume that they used this mount on this occasion for the GoPro.

Nepotisim
12th Mar 2015, 08:23
Correct Going Boeing!:ok:

ruddman
12th Mar 2015, 08:52
Correct Sir. No VB. In fact, I've never had one in my life.

Now on to serious matters. Watching the GoPro footage. The end of the runway certainly appeared pretty quick when they touched down. I got slightly nervous and I'm watching in my lounge. Ok I was watching naked, by that's neither here nor there.

Nicely done. :ok:

But no sound on the GoPro? What the?

Capn Bloggs
12th Mar 2015, 11:40
Now on to serious matters. Watching the GoPro footage. The end of the runway certainly appeared pretty quick when they touched down. I got slightly nervous
I had the distinct impression they could have pulled up half way along! You see further when the cockpit is that high up...

ACMS
12th Mar 2015, 11:50
Yep they weren't trying hard to stop, they could have stopped in half the distance but would have had hot brakes and maybe damaged the surface of the runway.

Stanwell
12th Mar 2015, 12:13
Another reason I heard was that the tug was waiting for them down the end of the runway.

ruddman
13th Mar 2015, 07:03
I had the distinct impression they could have pulled up half way along! You see further when the cockpit is that high up...

Interesting. And makes perfect sense. Of course, I'm only used to the view out the side watching grass and runway lights flash pass. My repeated efforts to get an upgrade to the jump seat always seems to get the same answer.

:=

Oh well. :p

Guptar
23rd Mar 2015, 04:47
It's heartening to see that even 40 years after the intro of the 747, people will turn up in their thousands at the crack of dawn to see an old 747 land. Aviation still excites people, Qantas is still an iconic brand to the average punter.

Why would so many locals turn out to see an old airliner land? It's part symbology. The "Gong" for many years has had nothing but bad news in the paper, jobs going, steel works closing, a city on decline. The fact that a QF747 has touched down at their little airport has been a talking point for weeks.

Finally, Wollongong is in the news and on the front page of the newspaper with good news. I have family who live in the area and it's given the place a real buzz. This has made the locals, many of whome, in the past may have objected to the perceived noise of aircraft, look at the airport in a new light and cause them to think that maybe having an airport is a good thing after all.

Who knows, one tired old grand lady of the skies could spark the resurgence of tired old town.

nomorecatering
24th Mar 2015, 11:34
Some media outlets have stated that QF engineers will be tasked to maintain the aircraft into the future, interestingly they say in a semi airworthy state.

Has Boeing published a maintenance schedule for a museum aircraft, or a preservation schedule? What would it entail, obviously keeping hydraulic lines and seals from drying out, electrics dry from occasional powering up, same for actuators etc, but what about fuel tank corrosion, dust ingress etc.

criticalmass
29th Mar 2015, 08:37
My best guess is any of the aircraft boneyards in the USA could provide a pretty comprehensive preservation schgedule for the asking, especially those where commercial aircraft are routinely parted out rather than being scrapped on-the-spot.

Then again, maybe that is a little too simple?

Stanwell
29th Mar 2015, 14:26
Guptar,
Good post.
Incidentally, I was up at the Crack of Dawn this morning, but she rolled over and went back to sleep.