PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing landing lights

BOAC
6th Dec 2014, 15:58
Just seen ?a bizjet? go over, presumably inbound Farnborough, but from miles away I could see the lights pulsing on and off. Not something I have seen before and most effective. What would it have been?

A and C
6th Dec 2014, 16:31
Hi BOAC

It sounds like the aircraft was fitted with the latest in LED technology, these are much more reliable and reduce electrical power consumption by about 80% compaired to conventional strobe units.

they are now finding their way onto the latest Boeings to leave the factory.

KelvinD
6th Dec 2014, 16:35
Right now, it is a handy way of identifying a B787 from a distance. You can't miss those beacons, which I have been told are LED.

A and C
6th Dec 2014, 17:04
Good way of identifying a 787 ? not for long, the other day I was flying a new 737 with LED's fitted.

SpringHeeledJack
6th Dec 2014, 17:06
A decade ago I saw a F900 or similar with pulsating light strips during taxiing and take off. It struck me then that it was a very effective way of gaining visual attention, perhaps more so than strobe lights. The strips were oblong and perhaps +/- 1 metre long. Maybe it cost too much to install as in the intervening 10 years I've never seen it again :confused:

SHJ

Double Hydco
6th Dec 2014, 17:11
I don't think BOAC is talking about strobe lights (yes, the GSS 747-8's had the LED's too), but the wig wagging landing lights that quite a lot of US registered bizjets are equipped with.....

DH

fa2fi
6th Dec 2014, 18:39
If it's the landing lights flashing I was told it was to scare off birds! Not sure if it's true though.

halfofrho
6th Dec 2014, 18:49
Yep they're definitely pulsing landing lights. Spend a day at Luton and you'll see 90% of biz jets have them. Also seen them on larger regionals, Q400's maybe.

con-pilot
6th Dec 2014, 18:51
Flashing landing lights have been an option for neatly all new corporate jet for decades and for older jets there is a modification that can be installed.

Pulselite Canada - Pulse light - Pulsing Lights for Aircraft to Avoid Collisions (http://www.pulselite.ca/pulselites.html)

It is mostly for collision avoidance, just like strobe lighting.

Strobe Runner
6th Dec 2014, 19:53
QANTAS 737's & QANTASLINK 717 & Dash-8's have the pulselite system fitted.

BOAC
6th Dec 2014, 20:15
Thanks all - first ones I have seen and they are VERY effective.

chevvron
7th Dec 2014, 16:11
Been used on Falcons and Gulfstreams for about 20 years; meant to scare birds.

G280
11th Dec 2014, 06:48
Hi BOAC

It sounds like the aircraft was fitted with the latest in LED technology, these are much more reliable and reduce electrical power consumption by about 80% compaired to conventional strobe units.

they are now finding their way onto the latest Boeings to leave the factory.

It's not just LED lights that pulse. Our (one month old) new Gulfstream has them (non LED, only the NAV's are LED) They are automatic in the event of a TCAS RA. Our 14 year old airframe has them too.

We usually have them on pulse until the landing clearance is issued, then they are switched to on along with the taxi lights.

Doors to Automatic
13th Dec 2014, 04:57
BOAC - I was similarly impressed when I saw them on a 787 for the first time. i also think that the new LED runway lights at BHX, LGW and LHR are equally impressive especially when they are turned up in low visibility. A real step-change.

BOAC
13th Dec 2014, 07:04
Yes, the a/c system is a real step forward in visibility. Having 'finished' the 'doing aviation' bit I will not see the runway lights:sad:

500 above
16th Dec 2014, 09:19
BOAC - I was similarly impressed when I saw them on a 787 for the first time. i also think that the new LED runway lights at BHX, LGW and LHR are equally impressive especially when they are turned up in low visibility. A real step-change

I believe pilots using HUD's are having issues with the newer LED runway and approach lighting.