PDA

View Full Version : Qantas among 13 airlines targeted by new $3B lawsuit

Chocks Away
6th Dec 2014, 03:56
Yes indeed, at QF!
With the current incumbents (board included!) they have resided over a never-before seen record loss of 2.84 Billion AND NOW THIS... (http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/qantas-among-13-airlines-targeted-by-new-3b-lawsuit/story-fnihslxi-1227141232991?nk=cd21a79f8340a3988f61f9e854e26606).
So, corruption and fines now totaling over 246.8 Million, not to go past the 65 million in costs uncured also...

:yuk::yuk: :ugh::ugh:

How they can look anyone straight in the eye and still think they deserve their bonuses and continued employment is beyond me. :hmm:

ACMS
6th Dec 2014, 04:35
I would have thought it was a serious issue.......

How these managers continue to get away with it I don't know......:cool:

dubbleyew eight
6th Dec 2014, 05:04
I recently flew to Adelaide and back on Qantas with a disabled passenger in tow.
Qantas support made the trip an absolute pleasure.

In fact I had thoughts at just how much like Ansett they'd become.
Comfortable aircraft, good seating pitches, excellent cabin service.
an absolutely first class passenger experience.

Ansett maintained that standard right up to the moment they collapsed.

...how much like Ansett...

ohallen
6th Dec 2014, 05:05
Let me suggest one possible explanation.

Government is responsible for enforcement or regulatory controls and enforcement of Corporations law. They set the agenda and as we sit at this time, both sides of parliament are prepared to lie, spin or basically do anything it takes for their differing ideological battles to be won.

So it seems to me that this is why Joyce, Clifford and co get away with what they do because they are all of the same ilk. Nothing will change until someone falls over and lets hope it is the lot of them.

Chocks Away
6th Dec 2014, 06:04
:}
Well ACMS isn't that cute, a couple of comments claiming I'm "shouting at clouds" here, which you responded to, have now disappeared. :D:=

Yes nice to hear, W8. No disputing workers at the coal face and their efforts.

OHallen, an easy cop out which I don't buy for one second because this QF corruption has been running for close to a decade now.

Fliegenmong
6th Dec 2014, 06:18
So it seems to me that this is why Joyce, Clifford and co get away with what they do because they are all of the same ilk

Indeed....they are very good friends with Mr Abbott and his party:(.......large financial contributors they are.....:hmm:

Chocks Away
6th Dec 2014, 23:50
Sarcasm there no doubt because The Coalition refused to bail out QF, for those with short memories.

Fliegenmong
7th Dec 2014, 00:11
They'll be rescinding their Chairman's lounge membership then? :rolleyes:

Chocks Away
7th Dec 2014, 00:39
Chairman's lounge membership?
Very naive to think the Govt automatically have this. Many refuse it.
It's a bribe tool to seek favourable considerations yes but it's mostly full of questionable Journos and top level business spivs.
Govt of the day do have their own Fleet of VIP transports with No 34 Sqdr don't forget (2 BBJ's, 3 Challenger 600's & 8 Super King Air B350's) but the Opposition do not, SO you're more likely to see the Lefties in there!

Still doesn't change the headline & what QF have done, no matter how you try to divert the topic :rolleyes:

Blitzkrieger
7th Dec 2014, 05:40
Good heavens!

So what's the tally of Allan's waste up to now, a billion odd? The only financial hardship suffered by the qantas group of companies is of its own making.

Worthy of some jail time surely :{

7th Dec 2014, 06:34
Deutsche Bahn
I did not know that QF were carrying freight within Germany or that Deutsche Bahn had a service to Oz.:confused:

Fliegenmong
7th Dec 2014, 07:23

Chocky......Very Naive indeed to think a bunch of self serving pollies such as Abbott and his band of merry men would refuse chairmans club after they've been booted....thanks I am well aware of 34 Sqdr....KRudds personal air force and Kim Il howards own Broome charter line.... :rolleyes:

4Greens
7th Dec 2014, 08:11
For those of us living OS, what is the lawsuit about?

mickjoebill
7th Dec 2014, 08:23
Oz government employees are not allowed to earn airmiles or accept upgrades.
However, they do earn status credits.
When an employee books through a goverment travel department these regulations are automatically applied to the booking.

What is a shame is the loss of benifit to the oz tax payer of the uncollected airmiles!

They could
1/ be put into a central bank and used to offset price of tickets for govt trips.
2/ collected and donated to charitable causes

At the moment it is win win for qantas!

Mickjoebill

Chocks Away
7th Dec 2014, 12:49
Good suggestion there "mick...", tell me why the "3 leaders" of the previous Govt never did that? Have you suggested this to your local member to change it instead of airing it here?

Govt department contracts get bid for!
They go out far and wide to many airlines, large and small!
End of story!

Flieg- "after they've been booted" ... who gives a rats ass champ, even if that is true, which I doubt. It shows this Govt aren't slaves to bribes like the last mob were! Businesses are responsible for running themselves, not being hand fed by Govt!

Facts are the same: 2.84 BILLION loss... oh and 246.8 million in Fines... Ie GUILTY with one having served Prison already! Read the facts, Jack!

(4Greens - click the highlighted link in the first entry, to read more)

bankrunner
9th Dec 2014, 09:29
I did not know that QF were carrying freight within Germany or that Deutsche Bahn had a service to Oz.:confused:

They do (or did) a lot of freight in Australia for the likes of Dell, Samsung and Apple.

4Greens
10th Dec 2014, 08:38
Chocks away - tried clicking and my computer didnt like it and rejected it.

Still dont know what it is about and still interested.

PLovett
10th Dec 2014, 08:56
4Greens, the case surrounds QANTAS involvement in a cartel that has previously been found guilty of price fixing with regard to air freight between 2000 and 2006. QANTAS has already been fined $65m by the US Dept of Justice for its part and now it appears the German State Railway wants its money back. Their legal action is not just against QANTAS but all 13 airlines who were involved.

Chocks Away
10th Dec 2014, 10:39
Link still valid but here it is anyway:

Qantas among 13 airlines targeted by new $3B lawsuit

Robyn Ironside National Aviation Writer
News Corp Australia Network
December 01, 2014 9:00PM

QANTAS’s involvement in a global price-fixing cartel could cost the airline millions more dollars in fines after a new lawsuit was lodged in Germany and the US.

Already Qantas has been fined more than $160 million for conspiring with other carriers to raise the price of freight by imposing fuel and security surcharges between 2000 and 2006.

CAUGHT OUT: Qantas fined $12m over cargo cartel

Now German State Railway Deutsche Bahn is seeking more than $3 billion in damages from 13 air cargo carriers including Qantas, Singapore Airlines, British Airways, Lufthansa, Japan Airlines and Air France-KLM.
Cough up...Qantas is likely to face another multi-million dollar fine as a result of a la

Cough up...Qantas is likely to face another multi-million dollar fine as a result of a lawsuit brought against 13 carriers. Picture: News Corp Australia.

Board member Gerd Becht said Deutsche Bahn had tried unsuccessfully to negotiate settlements with the airlines.

“Guilt is no longer the question; it’s been established they wronged us,” said Mr Becht.

“It’s just a question of coming to terms with us.”

The organisation will provide further details of the case at a webinar.

Qantas has already been fined by the US Department of Justice ($65 million), the Canadian Competition Authority ($155,000), the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission ($20 million), the European Commission ($12 million) and the New Zealand Commerce Commission ($4.8 million) in relation to the cartel.

Previously escaped penalty....German airline Lufthansa could face the lion’s share of the fines if the Deutsche Bahn case is successful. Picture: AFP/Christof Stache

The airline has also faced class actions in Australia and the US, resulting in over $65 million in costs.

Former Qantas head of freight in the US, Bruce McCaffrey, even served eight-months jail for illegal price fixing of cargo shipments.

Qantas yesterday declined to comment on the Deutsche Bahn action, which is expected to be the last lawsuit arising from the price fixing scandal.

Lufthansa is expected to face the lion’s share of the fines because it has previously escaped penalty for exposing the cartel.
Originally published as "Qantas facing more fines"

What an absolute farce when QF are calling for an 18 month pay freeze too (see other thread). Why listen to anything these manipulative white collar crims say anymore, with multiple failed turn-around plans and this proven corrupt track record?!
Imagine where all this money could have gone otherwise!