PDA

View Full Version : How do I get off Facebook?

rotornut
5th Dec 2014, 01:20
Can't stand it anymore.

Loose rivets
5th Dec 2014, 01:29
Not all bad. I've downloaded over 300 lovely photos of old Colchester in the last year or so. Colchester for old farts and fogies, has a lot of Oooo, lovely photo etc., but worth sifting through. FB also it helps me see what my grandchildren are up to.

Lost cats, phones and even pervs hanging around schools are reported on the local forums, and the other day I checked specific roadworks after the local council's site showed last update in 2006.

What I hate is, Entering by simply pressing Return. It's when I get back to ordinary forums that I waste time not pressing Enter without Shift.

CISTRS
5th Dec 2014, 02:01
How to Delete Your Facebook Account (http://www.howtoleavefacebook.com/)

finfly1
5th Dec 2014, 15:01
Thanks for that link. It made me smile. I have saved it. I shall share it with several addicts. I may even use it myself some day.

ExXB
5th Dec 2014, 15:29
Your first born child, perhaps, if you say Please.

dazdaz1
5th Dec 2014, 15:57
Thanks for the link CISTRS just deleted my account, although it mentioned it would be two weeks for the account to be deleted :ok:

goudie
5th Dec 2014, 16:13
two weeks for the account to be deleted

And then, in my experience you'll get regular e-mails from Microsoft, asking you to re-open your acc.:(

Capetonian
5th Dec 2014, 19:29
The best way to get off it is never to have been on it. It is pernicious.

CISTRS
6th Dec 2014, 05:29
I've never been on it. I objected to their early days marketing methods, and decided I would never participate...

P.Pilcher
10th Dec 2014, 13:14
From time to time, facebook has been in the news for being hacked and private personal data being accessed. The only way that this can be prevented is not to let them have the data in the first place thus, despite their claims about their security, I am not a member of facebook, never have been and never will be.

P.P.

Keef
13th Dec 2014, 00:12
I use Facebook, but declined to give it most of the information it demanded, and then set the security toggles to "Friends only". I check every so often that there aren't any new sneakies. It wanted my address book, which I thought was a bit of a liberty.

It means I know what the grandkids are up to, not that I understand most of it.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Dec 2014, 05:19
Wot's Facebook ?

Fly-by-Wife
13th Dec 2014, 10:27
Facebook is the online equivalent of a tattoo - once it's out there it's almost impossible to get rid of.

It's surely no coincidence that there's been such a big rise in the numbers of people tattooing themselves at the same time as the rise of social media and other erosions of privacy.

FBW

NRU74
13th Dec 2014, 11:34
Surely it can't be as difficult as cancelling Skype ! I still haven't managed to do it although Nationwide have agreed to cancel the Direct Debit

P6 Driver
18th Dec 2014, 19:23
I had an account a couple of years ago and then my family found out about it so I started to get messages from relatives I wouldn't recognise in the street if I fell over them.

Googling the question, I closed the account but still wanted to access it to view some aviation related stuff (sorry to introduce aviation on a PPRuNe forum).

I set up an e-mail account in a false name from a library PC and then a FB account in that name. No-one knows what my FB name is, so I browse and view to my hearts content while remaining totally anonymous as I don't contribute anything or place messages on it. Win/win.