PDA

View Full Version : How badly have I dented my aspirations?

AJWOOD78
4th Dec 2014, 22:41
I've just had my results back for the first 4 ATPL subjects I took this week.
I averaged around 90% in 3 of the subjects but fluffed POF with 70%.
In what light will the airlines look at this?
Will they cut me some slack if I sort it out next time and pass it?
Living in such a competitive world it would be good to know what the general consensus is.

Dash8driver1312
5th Dec 2014, 00:28
I got my position with a regional European airline with 3 resits and 270 hours total time and no JOC.

Don't be despondent. There'll be opportunities, just make sure you get a good mark at POF next time!

And well done on the other three!

AlexanderH
8th Dec 2014, 13:04
AJWOOD78 relax would you. Plenty of people get hired having even had to retake a number of subjects. The whole process is one big memory test after all!

MIKECR
8th Dec 2014, 13:22
It will not cause any adverse effect in the grand scheme of things. Plenty people resit exams, for all sorts of reasons. What is far more important is that you have a relevant licence and current instrument rating/medical at the time of applying for a job. Let any of those lapse or run out of recency then your wasting your time.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
10th Dec 2014, 18:04
Mate they wont even know about it and are not interested a lot of the time!

All that matters is you have a valid licence. I know plenty of guys who have fluffed ATPL exams and taken their IR's 3 or 4 times, now all flying for big airlines.

So many fret over these things and its not worth wasting your energy.

All the best with the rest of your exams.

Alpha Golf Mike
10th Dec 2014, 18:28
Don't worry about failing an exam or two, people still get hired with retakes. Well done with the other three!

Superpilot
10th Dec 2014, 19:54
AJWOOD, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference in the real world. Get over it mate. In fact, the fact that you're annoyed by your results annoys me. They're quite good/average. People usually flunk a little on PoF, Gen Nav and Perf because those obviously take a little more thinking/doing.

AJWOOD78
10th Dec 2014, 22:36
Thanks for the comments guys.
I'll take all on board and move on and not think about it further.
Hope to meet some of you in the line in the not too distant future.

C.T.G.
29th Dec 2014, 09:40
AJWOOD78 you are not the first and most definitely not the last to ask this.

Having competed my ATPL’s last year I had the same questions at the time.

mad_jock
29th Dec 2014, 10:31
the only people that I know that seem to make a big deal out of first time passes are.....

Other wannabies with first time passes.

Same with exam averages.

I have yet on the line to establish any sort of coloration between theoretical pass marks and being able to deal with shooting a NDB procedural approach at night in winter in a snow storm with 60 odd knots of wind across the procedure at 4k ft.