PDA

View Full Version : A ride in a Vauxhall?

brickhistory
3rd Dec 2014, 20:13
A stabbing here, a beheading there, a decades-long cover-up of a well-know pedophile by the BBC, an entire city police department ignoring more pedophilia, the odd shooting here and there, pretty soon it's not just isolated:

The American mother of a 14-year-old boy killed by an online gaming partner in Britain says she did everything she could to protect her son: She limited his access to electronics, installed parental controls and forbade him from using the same server as a boy she had grown suspicious of.

However, though Lorin LaFave, 47, said she warned both British police and her son, the boy, Breck Bednar was murdered by someone he met online on Feb 17.

Computer engineer Lewis Daynes, 19, pleaded guilty last month to Breck's stabbing murder (http://abcnews.go.com/topics/news/crime.htm) that day in Daynes' house in Grays, Essex, England. The teenagers had been playing games online for several months, despite LaFave's efforts to put an end to their relationship.

Mom devastated after son's murder by online gaming partner | 7online.com (http://7online.com/news/mom-devastated-after-sons-murder-by-online-gaming-partner/420188/)

I'm assuming that "hands up" would've taken the killer's digits off his controller and therefore spoiling the game.

Caboclo
3rd Dec 2014, 20:20
What's Vauxhalls got to do with it?

PTT
3rd Dec 2014, 23:28
Isolated is a relative term.

TomJoad
3rd Dec 2014, 23:53
brick, I don't get it what's the point you are making?

Tom

superq7
4th Dec 2014, 00:11
A dig at the UK I think Tom, hmmm glasshouses and stones come to mind :E

Capot
4th Dec 2014, 00:16
Tom, it's not too difficult; Brick is suggesting, in a rather laboured and roundabout way, that what with one thing and the other, people in the British glasshouse shouldn't throw stones.

It's an arguable case.

Edit: SuperQ can write faster than I can.......

ericlday
4th Dec 2014, 00:25
Have owned and ridden in many a Vauxhall in my 60 + years of life and been very happy with my experience....driving and otherwise !!!!!

Lord Spandex Masher
4th Dec 2014, 00:25
I want to know how long he spent on the internet before he learnt the name of a British car manufacturer.

John Hill
4th Dec 2014, 01:35
Obviously not an alphabetical search! Its a pity he didnt find this one!
http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/25377/Maloo030.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1125664

TowerDog
4th Dec 2014, 02:11
Sad story for sure.
I rather enjoyed my Vauxhall Ventura and my Vauxhall Magnum back in the day.
Wrong title for the tread....duh:sad:

con-pilot
4th Dec 2014, 03:37
My parents owned a Vauxhall when we lived in England. It was mother's car. Can't remember which year or model it was, but it was fairly new. As far as I knew it was a good car, mother liked it and that was all that mattered.

G-CPTN
4th Dec 2014, 07:54
VAUXHALL H I & J - 10 12 & 14 1946 TO 1948 (http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-h-i-j---10-12-14-1946-to-1948)

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-l---wyvern-velox

sitigeltfel
4th Dec 2014, 08:16
My only Vauxhall was a rusty old Viva that I brought back from NI at the height of the troubles. I made the mistake of leaving the NI plates on which gave the local police an excuse to stop me for every imagined reason under the sun. One plod patrol even stopped me because my tax disc had fallen onto the dashboard and they couldn't see it from behind.
I scrapped it when the spline driving the distributor failed and it was uneconomical to repair.

My only other experience of the marque was a Corsa I hired and I complained that it sounded as if it was misfiring. How was I to know that the bloody thing had a three cylinder engine? :O

Blacksheep
4th Dec 2014, 08:45
Vauxhall. The car manufacturer that invented the bio-degradable car. :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Vauxhall_Victor_FA_ca_1958.jpg/280px-Vauxhall_Victor_FA_ca_1958.jpg

rotornut
4th Dec 2014, 08:52
Reminds me of my mother's car a 1959 station wagon, or called an estate car in the UK.

bcgallacher
4th Dec 2014, 09:04
Brick has a blind spot when it comes to crime in the USA - has he ever inquired why the Catholic Church in the USA has paid out $500 million dollars in compensation to families and children ? How many convictions? Children violently killed - 2500 dead per year by gunshot alone,A murder rate nearly 5 times that of the UK and he has the gall to try to criticise us! We have crime in all its aspects the same as any other country but certainly not in quantity that is found in the USA.400 people shot dead by police per year on average - only 30 police officers shot dead last year. A violent society with an unhealthy obsession with firearms. I wonder if he knows that Vauxhallis a General Motors company.

Tankertrashnav
4th Dec 2014, 09:45
Gosh Blacksheep, I'd forgotten the old Victor - the car for which the term "rustbox" was invented!

Interesting fact (well I find it interesting). Did you know that the Russian word for railway station is 'Vauxhall'? A Russian parliamentary delegation came to London to study the newly built railway system. They were taken to Vauxhall station, then the nearest to central London and were told that this was Vauxhall. They took it to be the name for a railway station, and the word entered the language.

Reminds me of my mother's car a 1959 station wagon, or called an estate car in the UK.

Or "shooting brake" which my father in law, b 1915, called them all his life.

Seldomfitforpurpose
4th Dec 2014, 09:49
My old Mk1 Viva simply fell to bits through rust. Did re spray it but that was nowt more than cosmetics as the rust just bubbled through in other places, shame really as it was a lovely little car.

Fareastdriver
4th Dec 2014, 11:02
A friend of mine was driving a Wyvern when one of his kids in the back was jacked up to the roof. The metal had rusted awy from around one of the rear wheel spring hangers and the spring had forced its way up through the floor.
No problem. He stopped, found a short length of 4X2 on the verge, jacked it up, wedged the wood between the spring hanger and the floor and carried on.

It swayed about a bit but it got him home and then itself to the scrappie.

M.Mouse
4th Dec 2014, 11:14
Vauxhall. The car manufacturer that invented the bio-degradable car.

The FA Victor! It was a car that caused Vauxhall to have a fearsome reputation for rusting while you watched. All cars rusted badly in those days but some were worse than others.

GGR155
4th Dec 2014, 11:20
Did the FA Victor have something to do with the resale value?

Blacksheep
4th Dec 2014, 12:17
On posting to Singapore in 1969 I was astonished to see lots of Vauxhall Victors in spotless condition tootling about. Of course, they don't have a winter in Singers, so they have no reason to put salt on the road.

bcgallacher
4th Dec 2014, 13:10
About 18 months from new the wings rotted through - the Cresta was the same.It took years to recover some sort of reputation.

Tankertrashnav
4th Dec 2014, 15:49
Blacksheep - I was in Singapore in 1967 and it was full of interesting old cars dating back to just post WW2 (I think the pre-war cars disappeared during the occupation, maybe "liberated" by the Japanese)

Early MGs were common and I had a 1948 MG TC which I was planning to ship home at the end of tour. However a mid-tour posting to HK meant I had to sell it quickly, which I did - for 70! :ugh:

1DC
4th Dec 2014, 16:14
My first car was a Vauxhall Velox. I had many a ride in that, what with the bench seat n'all.:E:E:E

evansb
4th Dec 2014, 17:00
Rust resistant Vauxhall Viva:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b477/gumpjr_bucket/Bag_Vauxhall_Viva-M9C.png

Loki
4th Dec 2014, 17:14
Owned a Vauxhall Viva once....my father had a 1963 Vauxhall Victor estate, neither experience turned me into a criminal....though I used to blaspheme a bit with the Viva.

Tankertrashnav.....that's a popular story, but the alternative is that the first Russian railway line ran as a tourist attraction to "Vauxhall Gardens" (near Pavlovsk) named after the London venue; I wonder which is true.

G-CPTN
4th Dec 2014, 17:31
About 18 months from new the wings rotted through
Imagine that today!

However, I see several Volvo V40 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S40)s (Mitsubishi Carisma) with front wings rotted-through from inside - all in the same location just ahead of the front wheel.
They were built from 1995 to 2004 and were manufactured at the Nedcar factory in the Netherlands (a pre-Ford joint venture between Volvo and Mitsubishi Motors) .

airship
4th Dec 2014, 17:41
bcgallacher wrote: I wonder if he knows that Vauxhallis a General Motors company. :ok:

Vauxhall + Opel = General Motors Europe or GM USA if you prefer. Isn't GM one of those multi-nationals (often 'murrican) which pay very little or no corporation tax in UK / Europe, if anywhere? Ostensibly because they don't actually make any profits from selling all these goodies to us backward Europeans...!

Back to the USA... :E

evansb
4th Dec 2014, 18:31
In the 1950s, the U.S. corporate tax rate was nearly 50%.

Presently, GM pays their CEOs more in salary than they do in tax. In 2013, GM paid 12.1 % in U.S. corporate taxes, after loop-holes.

The German corporate tax rate for 2014, according to KPMG, is 29.58%, substantially less than the U.S. base rate of 40%, which no corporation pays anyway..

flying lid
4th Dec 2014, 18:34
http://www.cardsandgifts-direct.co.uk/ekmps/shops/cardsandgifts/images/top-gear-the-stig-greeting-card-vauxhall-nova-13410-p.jpg

victor tango
4th Dec 2014, 20:35
I remember pulling up at the lights by the Ariel Hotel LHR and both headlights on my Victor fell out and dangled on their wires. Very embarrassing as a copper was standing there watching. I just got out and pushed them back in again then drove off......he never said a word:O

1DC
4th Dec 2014, 22:28
When i first came ashore to work one of the lads had a Victor, one night he couldn't get it to start when he left work so we all gave him a push. As the engine fired and he set off down the road one of the pushers was left with half a rear wing in his hand..

Lon More
4th Dec 2014, 22:47
America - the country that gave the world the Ford Edsel, looked like a real cnut of a car

front wings rotted-through from inside - all in the same location just ahead of the front wheel.

A cleverly designed crumple zone feature that contributed to its NCAP rating. Born is now making Minis for BMW

Tankertrashnav
4th Dec 2014, 23:51
Tankertrashnav.....that's a popular story, but the alternative is that the first Russian railway line ran as a tourist attraction to "Vauxhall Gardens" (near Pavlovsk) named after the London venue; I wonder which is true.

I hadn't heard that one Loki - its certainly as plausible as the version I quoted.

I've just remembered, I drive a Vauxhall now - a 12 year old Vectra Estate with no rust at all, as far as I can tell. When anyone says "they dont build them like they used to" I'm inclined to say "thank goodness!"

Btw I've heard of thread drift, but this one has been well and truly hijacked. Still, Brick hasn't reappeared, so I guess he won't mind.

Amelia_Flashtart
5th Dec 2014, 11:07
Not sure where you got that statistic for gun-related deaths in Australia HarleyD - it is in fact 0.86% per 100,000 of which 0.15% are homicides.

I don't believe that many deaths in Australia are attributable to Vauxhalls:)

bcgallacher
6th Dec 2014, 12:39
Amelia - the figures stated are the percentage of the US figures not the UK or Australian figures.

sitigeltfel
6th Dec 2014, 12:42
The Viva resurrected....
http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/imagecache/article_image_480/vauxhall-sdj349ws-viva-015.jpg

New Vauxhall Viva city car to cost around 7500 | Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/paris-motor-show/new-vauxhall-viva-revealed-ahead-spring-2015-launch?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews%20Bulletins&utm_content=link5_2&utm_source=20141206)