PDA

View Full Version : Spanish help

victor tango
3rd Dec 2014, 18:57
Just bought a new watch Sekonda.
Everything works ok..programmed the date and the time ok but the bl***y
day is in spanish. Tried gettin it back to English to no avail, cant be bothered.
Can anyone tell me the three letter words for days of the week...........then Ill be on a learning curve!!

tony draper
3rd Dec 2014, 19:08
You could be in trouble I believe the Spanish have a eight day week.:rolleyes:

TomJoad
3rd Dec 2014, 19:12
From google translate starting from Sunday.

domingo
lunes
martes
miércoles
jueves
viernes
sábado

dom
lun
mar
casarse
jue
vie
sáb

Don't know how accurate that is.

Tom

victor tango
3rd Dec 2014, 19:18
Thanks Tony...no wonder I cant get it to work.

Tom thanks for that.....I presume wednesday would be cas?

victor tango
3rd Dec 2014, 19:21
Its showing MIE at the moment

LGW Vulture
3rd Dec 2014, 19:38
Ermmmm.... casarse is to get married.:ouch:

Miercoles - mie.

G-CPTN
3rd Dec 2014, 19:43
Learn how to change the Day, Date, Time, and Language on your Watch! Setting the correct Day and Date? Set the correct Language! - Jewelry-Secrets.com (http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Watches/How-To-Change-Day-And-Date-On-Watch/Setting-Date-Day-Language-On-Watches.html)

ian16th
3rd Dec 2014, 19:59
I take it that it is not a clockwork one :rolleyes:

OFSO
3rd Dec 2014, 20:13
Just hope the time isn't in Catalan.

15 minutes past = one quarter (of the next hour)
30 minutes past = two quarters (no expression for "half")
45 minutes past = it's missing one quarter of the hour (to the next hour)

37 minutes past = it's missing half of the next quarter (here there is a half and it's "mig")
35 minutes past = it's almost missing half of the next quarter

59 minutes past = stuff working this out, let's go and have a glass of wine

Um... lifting...
4th Dec 2014, 01:32
When in Spain, unless one has concert tickets in hand, who cares about the time?

When in Spain, who cares about the day?

Capetonian
4th Dec 2014, 03:54
I have no idea how it gets from 'mie' to 'casarse' which as someone said is to marry, literally, marry oneself as Spanish uses the reflexive for this and others uses which results in some odd constructions.

For example, 'it broke' can be 'se rompio' = it broke itself, or' 'se ha caido' = it fell itself. Yep, the Ming Vase was sitting there quietly in its corner as it has been for hundreds of year and suddenly and spontaneously, it fell itself and broke itself. Nothing to do with me guv, honest!

The days of the week in Spanish are :
Mañana
Pasado mañana
Pasado pasado mañana
Mañana mas no se cuanto
Pues, dentro de unos dias, ojala
Cuando sea
Ni puta idea

As anyone who's worked or lived in Spain will tell you.
Roughly :
Tomorrow
The day after tomorrow
The day after the day after tomorrow
Tomorrow plus I don't know how many days
Well, maybe after a few days, hopefully
Whenever
No f***ing clue

In reality they all mean the same! It's not going to happen unless you chase and chase and chase.

OFSO
4th Dec 2014, 07:26
unless one has concert tickets in hand, who cares about the time?

Ever seen what TIME concerts start in Spain ? Sitting on a plastic seat listening to the madwoman's aria from "Lucia di Lammermoor" at 01:30 a.m. and knowing there's an hour to go isn't my idea of fun.....

G&T ice n slice
4th Dec 2014, 08:39
Se Me Cayo theory of Latin American Fatalism

The Ecology and Semiotics of Language Learning: A Sociocultural Perspective - Google Books (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=q_hmxRFEejkC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=explaining+latin+america+se+me+cayo&source=bl&ots=J39LjBzdOn&sig=xDYrW4P4ESLryWCixehrRmD6QPM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NiqAVPrMKcm7OqrbgPAG&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=explaining%20latin%20america%20se%20me%20cayo&f=false)

AND

Latin America: A Sociocultural Interpretation - Julius Rivera - Google Books (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=i1i8S175-d0C&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=explaining+latin+america+se+me+cayo&source=bl&ots=QrnegKPsiU&sig=pXqurRaXg8QFa-XFMsTtuZWCqkg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NiqAVPrMKcm7OqrbgPAG&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=explaining%20latin%20america%20se%20me%20cayo&f=false)

Capetonian
4th Dec 2014, 08:47
Thank you for that G&T. I've always wanted to see it in black and white somewhere!

Africans have the same fatalism. My maid always used to say : "it fell" or "it broke", rather than '"I broke it" or "I dropped it."

probes
4th Dec 2014, 09:21
How disappointing. With 'Spanish' and 'tango' I really expected something more inspiring :E.

radeng
4th Dec 2014, 10:27
The Irish and Spanish linguists were discussing their languages. The Spaniard "In Urse, you don't have a word with a meaning like manana, do you?"

The Irish linguist thought about it for a minute. "No", he replied" we don't have anything quite as urgent."

airship
4th Dec 2014, 16:56
To G-CPTN: "Buenos notches!" ;)

OFSO
4th Dec 2014, 17:44
Who says German opera is boring?

Go to Nuremburg. Wagner on the stage and Bier, Weisswurst mit Radi, und Bratwurst being sold in the stalls. Litre glasses, too. Men unbuttoning their Lederhösen and pis*ing on the floor.

Prost !

Spain doesn't have an answer.

Ancient Observer
5th Dec 2014, 13:44
The Greeks have a much better word than manana.

Avrio.

It means manana without the sense of urgency.