PDA

View Full Version : The company is paying for your rating

spacemanspiff!!!
2nd Dec 2014, 07:11
As from next year my company will only hire new guys if they pay for their type rating.
I had a discussion with a colleague concerning this topic, where he stated that "it is the industry standard, everybody does it".
I do not agree with this and would like to do everything to keep this out of the company.
My question is : where in Europe can you start as a young pilot without paying for your rating?

The big ones?
BA
LUFTHANSA
KLM
IBERIA
SAS

Any others?

Thanks

Deano777
2nd Dec 2014, 07:27
Flybe
Monarch

galwaypilot
2nd Dec 2014, 08:01
Aer Lingus cadetship & Jet2.com "Pilot Apprentice" Scheme.

buzzc152
2nd Dec 2014, 08:40
Netjets.....

Dash8driver1312
2nd Dec 2014, 08:56
Austrian and Tyrolean were bonds provided by the company until it became the holding pattern for Lufthansa MPLs.

Al Murdoch
2nd Dec 2014, 10:04
One way or the other, *most new pilots in Europe will be paying for their type ratings. It can be upfront give us the money, like Ryanair, or pay you nothing for years, like Flybe. It's best to take a long term view in what you are going to get in your pocket when assessing these things.

planedrive
2nd Dec 2014, 13:10
BA shouldn't be on the list... their type rating is wrapped up in the 90K that FPP cadets pay.

Sygyzy
2nd Dec 2014, 13:27
When you join BA as a DEP nobody asks you for money for a type rating - and you go to the a/c that they want you on even if you're rated on something else that they fly.

Cadets have always had some form of payback, right from the Hamble days of the '60's. There's no additional invoice after you get your CPL/IR when you join the company.

So...IMHO

greenedgejet
2nd Dec 2014, 17:21
UK:

In addition to those stated.

FRA/COBHAM

Babcock

Even CTC pay for flying instructor ratings these days!

Up until 2008, easyjet sstr was refunded by company over 5yrs.

GERMANY:

AERODATA GMBH
LUFTHANSA
CITYLINE
GERMAN WINGS
FCS
DAIMLER CHRYSLER
Aero logic

Belgium

tnt

If you don't want loyalty, control over entry standards, or tax relief on training budget, hire in a third party and let the trainee take the additional financial stress into the air on every flight!

To2
2nd Dec 2014, 19:14
Icelandair

CABUS
2nd Dec 2014, 19:39
Virgin Atlantic

Captain Spam Can
2nd Dec 2014, 20:13
Sygyzy....I came from CTC, where I payed 60K and was put in the right hand seat of a jet on full salary on a lot of $$$, I paid nothing upfront or put any security down, this was called a sponsorship by them albeit we still paid it back through the years! people on here said we were paying for it, so please don't put the new BA scheme under a different bracket...you pay 90k and that includes your type rating (ctc/OAT factor this in to make a profit) although you pay it back through the years not up from......."you pays your money..." :8

Tay Cough
2nd Dec 2014, 22:03
I joined BA as a cadet in 19 something or other. I had a reduced salary compared to the DEPs for seven years which cost me £60k or so versus them at the time, plus a deduction from my pay for five years. Training costs were recouped one way or the other, although I didn't have to write a cheque.

No complaints as it was the best way in at the time.

hoox
3rd Dec 2014, 04:09
Switzerland:

Swiss, Helvetic, Edelweiss.

PaulFrank
3rd Dec 2014, 08:15
BA Cityflyer?

MCDU2
3rd Dec 2014, 10:09
Aer Lingus - just to add. Free type rating not only limited to cadets joining. Any direct entry pilot without a320 rating will be given free type rating.

WX Man
3rd Dec 2014, 10:54
BA CityFlyer. Bonded for about 20K amortised over 2.5 years.

RHS
3rd Dec 2014, 17:37
Al Murdoch, whilst I respect your point about Flybe not being the best paid, a year one FO still earns more than his equivalent at Ryanair, Easyjet and even BA when talking FPP's, so I think we can still safely place them in the they pay for your type rating category.

It's only Me
3rd Dec 2014, 18:12
Thomas Cook. Paid from day one, but with a 3 year reducing bond.

Over 40 F/Os being recruited at the moment, mainly type rated, but not all.

However, before you all rush to apply, there are already enough applicants in the system to fill these positions.

FullyFullyReady
3rd Dec 2014, 18:35
Monarch no longer afford free type ratings, a policy that pre-dates the current restructuring.

MrHorgy
4th Dec 2014, 06:55
Are we talking cadet, or experienced entrants? I think the two would be very different. Most airlines screw the type rating out of people wrapped up in their FPPesque type schemes, which cost nearly £100,000. Even though oil has dropped to the lowest cost for nearly 5 years!

angelorange
4th Dec 2014, 14:24
"seven years which cost me £60k"

Ha ha! And how much did you recoup in the next 7?

So a junior pilot was paid less than an experienced one? Surely not, how unfair!

Maybe those on the dole could claim it has cost them x thousand because they don't have the opportunity to work in their chosen field.

Compared to today's cadets with far reduced prospects in salary and pension and job security, the sponsored folk (whilst properly selected) had a very good deal.

spacemanspiff!!!
4th Dec 2014, 18:27
Thank you guys for this interesting info.