PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Apple challenge

Shaft109
1st Dec 2014, 21:35
Hello, right I have a decent iTunes library on a very old Apple eMac G4 powerpc running Tiger 10.4, is there any way of getting the entire thing directly onto my iPhone 5s without resorting to Blackhat levels of computing?

They don't recognise each other via usb direct connection and icloud is beyond the old timer now.

I do have an external hd that i can partition with windows and an old laptop with xp that bizarrely the latest itunes on it.

Any thoughts welcome

le Pingouin
2nd Dec 2014, 04:18
You can back up the iTunes library from the G4 to external drive (assuming the old version works the same way), restore it to a system with a modern version of iTunes and sync from there:

Back up your iTunes library by copying it to an external drive - Apple Support (http://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201625)

Shaft109
2nd Dec 2014, 15:44
I think this could be tonight's project - will give this a try and see how things go.

mad_jock
2nd Dec 2014, 17:47
old laptop with xp that bizarrely the latest itunes on it.

inbound, take cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mixture
2nd Dec 2014, 18:49
BOOOOOMMMMMMM

You're lucky I'm in a good mood this evening... :p

But none the less.... in home and small-business environments, XP should NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER BE USED !

Pelikal
2nd Dec 2014, 20:00
I thought it was you who made those bangy-bangy sounds at the weekend....:E

Shaft109
2nd Dec 2014, 23:48
Well would normally agree, there's one specific piece of software that i use on it and when that course is complete she's being put to pasture, but in this case I can't see another way around getting it across to my phone unless anyone can suggest a better way.

le Pingouin
3rd Dec 2014, 05:17
Disable the wireless networking and just using it for the task at hand doesn't pose a risk.

Shaft109
3rd Dec 2014, 07:39
Oh the wireless networking is wire locked off and always has been, both software and hardware wise.

I know xp is shateau but what's the specific problem, beyond it being a gaping, swiss cheesefest of security problems?

CISTRS
3rd Dec 2014, 07:46
what's the specific problem?The problem is that he is not always in a good mood... :)

mixture
3rd Dec 2014, 08:43
beyond it being a gaping, swiss cheesefest of security problems?

This.

You DO NOT use an obsolete operating system, ESPECIALLY a Windows one on the internet ... EVER ! Full stop !

Shaft109
5th Dec 2014, 21:39
le Pingouin - by the christ it worked a treat but a bit long winded to get from the Mac to the HD as I copied it to the Windows formatted bit but the rest was easy.

mad_jock
6th Dec 2014, 06:29
Out of the approximate 600 XP machines I have contact with.

Since the turn off by support of XP MS the sum total of issues/failures is one PSU died.

In fact the general consensus is that they are more stable than when they were getting updated every month.

In fact someone was obviously having an experiment as 30 of them only have service pack 2 installed on them.

Booglebox
6th Dec 2014, 12:51
mad_jock, to play devil's advocate I would argue that it's possible that you are all being snooped on by someone using malware exploiting vulnerabilities :}
Indeed, the attacker could be actually maintaining the machines for you, deferring their replacement and lengthening their window of access... :E

mad_jock
6th Dec 2014, 21:18
possibly.

But nobody cares as long as they can still do the function they were installed for.

And if they are maintaining them there is no huge inbound data flows. The must be 100's thousands of them in the airports in Europe. Processing millions of checkin's everyday, running display boards, and gate checks etc.

They are mostly used as terminals to mainframes and the like.

mixture
10th Dec 2014, 18:24
I see mad_jock still fails to comprehend the difference between running XP in a corporate environment and running it at home.

Chalk and cheese, apples and oranges...

At home and in small businesses.... XP is only fit for the bin.
In larger entities and government.... until the inevitable phase-out occurs, there are many things differentiating corporate desktops from home PCs !

Your home PC isn't going to be a locked-down corporate image, your home PC isn't going to be on a secured VLAN, your home PC isn't going to be protected by robust upstream security mechanisms, your home PC ...... well, you get my drift.

mad_jock
10th Dec 2014, 22:41
no I understand it fine thanks.

I have worked in 3000 plus user sites with unix and windows desktops. As a network and root admin. And these sites were part of global enterprises.

A straight connection to the internet via a poxy proxy is the same be you a commercial or home user.

And there is cock all on these machines apart from an anti virus program.

Some of them are even running as admin users. Which I am trying to put a stop to with little success I might add.

With two of the country's I know for a fact its illegal to have connection to the internet which isn't assigned to an individual ie you can't have common accounts which there is no way of identifying who was using the account.

There is still more XP on the internet than windows 8/8.1

They don't care and nothing will be done until they stop working. Even if they were given a free upgrade path the still wouldn't do it.

Keef
12th Dec 2014, 23:11
I noticed the front desk of the hotel where we stayed last week was using XP. "Yes, sir, our IT manager says it's the best system for our purpose".

Two days later, the WiFi in all the rooms went off, and despite the best efforts of the IT manager, they didn't get it fixed in the next 5 days we were there.

Coincidence?

mad_jock
13th Dec 2014, 06:30
no, it is just an infamous lashed up Wifi set up by some chimp in hotels.

I am no stranger fixing these installations just so I can get wifi to work.

I have seen all manner of stupidity in thier set ups.

I have even spent 4 hours setting up subnets and reconfiguring the DHCP server which had a shocking 2 day lease on the IP addresses.

I suspect the contractor had left the system "stupid" so the would get support call outs all the time.

Going back to the hotel 4 weeks later the hotel manager who initially had been rather pissed off that a guest had been tinkering gave me a 200 quid food credit and a 3 day upgrade to a suite.

Apparently they had had 3 large multiple day conferences and a few weddings and the wifi hadn't given any poo at all and was completely stable. And he had sacked his previous support company after they had phoned asking if everything was ok. He then struggled find another support company because when they came in they knew what I had done but didn't have a clue how to support it.

Initially it had been a single subnet with 48 hour leases for 80 rooms.

When I left it was 5 subnets one for each floor, one for the conference area and one for the wedding venue and 6 hour leases.

Booglebox
15th Dec 2014, 14:24
I've seen that in a place in France - one subnet with 2 week leases, as I found out by logging in to the gateway with default credentials :E
I didn't change anything, so as to avoid being "that guy who hacked in and broke everything". I just assigned myself an (unused, but allocated) IP address manually. Tried to tell the guys there but they had no clue...
As for free food while fixing it, the food was actually free anyway :}

mad_jock
15th Dec 2014, 15:46
Well it meant all my per diems stayed in my pocket and I had steak and chips every night.

What I didn't spend I suspect will still be on my account when I go tech there again.