PDA

View Full Version : South Africa cricket captain Hansie Cronje is killed in a plane crash

Ze German
1st Jun 2002, 13:03
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/cricket/newsid_2020000/2020470.stm

baldspot
1st Jun 2002, 13:04
From Associated Press

Disgraced former South African cricket captain Hansie Cronje died in a plane
crash today.

South African Sports Ministry spokesman Graham Abrahams said Cronje was a
passenger on a cargo plane which crashed near the town of George in the country
Western Cape province.

"We have heard the news, we are still trying to recover. It's a shock," he
said.

Mr Abrahams said he was trying to get hold of Hansie Cronje's spiritual
mentor, Pastor Ray McCauley of the Rhema Church.

Cronje was on a light cargo aircraft which crashed in mountains near George.

The crews of rescue helicopters spotted three bodies on the ground.

Reports from the South African Press Association and South African
Broadcasting Corporation quoted Cronje's cousin, Frans Cronje, as saying the
plane, which left Johannesburg for George early today, was unable to land due to
poor weather conditions and crashed at about 6am BST.

It appears the pilot tried to circle before landing but crashed into in the
rugged Outeniqua mountains.

Hansie Cronje was banned from cricket for life by the United Cricket Board of
South Africa, a move endorsed by and the game's governing body, the
International Cricket Council, after admitting to taking money to fix matches
involving South Africa.

In August last year he vowed to stay in South Africa and make up for his
"mistake".

But on October 17 last year he failed in a bid to overturn the lifelong ban on
playing - although he was allowed to pursue a limited career in coaching and the
media.

Nostradamus
1st Jun 2002, 13:29
Great cricketer,Great captain, Great loss :( :( RIP

F/O Kite
1st Jun 2002, 18:14
Terribly sad, an outstanding Captain and cricketer whom I had the privelage to watch on numerous occasions.
Does anyone know what type of aircraft was involved, why should he choose to fly in the early hours of the morning in a small aircraft when SAA would have been operating an hour or two later.

Kalium Chloride
1st Jun 2002, 18:26
I hear it's a HS748-2B from the charter group AirQuarius.

Hairy Lasso
1st Jun 2002, 20:56
Other reports indicate that the HS748 was a cargo plane. Perhaps that is why only 3 were reportedly on board. Maybe he just hitched a ride.

Regardless it is a very sad and tragic event. :(

Jefferson Starship
2nd Jun 2002, 06:02
According to the Sunday Times (www.suntimes.co.za), the scheduled SAA flight from JNB was cancelled on Friday night due to severe storms - rain and hail affecting the area.

As a result, Hansie was stranded in Bloemfontein and because he had some agreement with Aquarius, he was able to pax to George with them on their freight/mail schedule on an HS 748.

A tragic and sad day for South African sport and aviation.

Blue Bay
2nd Jun 2002, 08:58
Very sad end to a wonderful man's life. The ultimate gent and professional who, as we all do, made a few mistakes. I hope he won't be remembered for those mistakes ,just the man he really was. Nobody regrets it more than Hansie.
Condolences to his family and all those who have stood by him.

MT Edelstone56
2nd Jun 2002, 12:15
Blue Bay,

The man dishonoured his country and the game.

His actions wont be mitigated by his sad finale.

TightSlot
2nd Jun 2002, 14:22
MT Edelstone56

He made some foolish mistakes, acted badly, and yes, brought some disgrace on others. He alo paid a reasonably heavy price for his actions. He also played wonderful cricket that brought pleasure to many people and he was personally admired by some.

I hold no particular brief for the man, beyond my enjoyment of cricket, but I regard your statement as graceless, tactless and uncharitable to Cronje and his family. Surely we would all wish to have our lives measured by others in a balanced way, considering positive and negative contributions. I hope that after some reflection, you may be as embarrassed to have written those comments as I was to read them.

2nd Jun 2002, 18:21
I go with you on that one TightSlot! Don't be moved by the w*nkers of the world. Hansie Cronjé WAS a fabulous cricketer and a tremendous source of entertainment for cricket fans the world all over! I believe that he was also a true gentleman and an individual that just got caught up in something that was bigger than he was. I've been there myself.

springbok449
2nd Jun 2002, 18:51
MTE56,
I can't believe what I have just read here, think of the wife, kids and family left behind without their loved one!!
I hope you have a think about what you posted and show a little remorse although with your kind of comment I am not holding my breath.

To the Cronjes and friends, I wish to pass on my sincere condoleances. Hansie will be missed...

Bokkie449.

Pat Pong
2nd Jun 2002, 23:25
With the exception of MT Edelstone56 you really are a santimonious bunch - so typical of what is becoming the standard PPRuNe hyprocisy.
Sure - Cronje was a skillfull player, but certainy not a sportsman. Unless some sly b*st*rd above edits his/her post, I havenen't yet seen a word of sympathy or condolence for the crew fllying the aeroplane.

MT Edelstone56
2nd Jun 2002, 23:28
Just saying what most are thinking.

I do feel for the family,theirs is a terrible legacy.

The man brought undeniable disgrace and a question mark to the game,all for a dollar.What he did to his country treacherous.

Sad an event,but no,his disgrace not mitigated.

Good day.

Blue Bay
3rd Jun 2002, 23:16
Pat Pong,
I knew Hansie, that is why I payed tribute to him. Yes, obviously our thoughts are with the family of the flight crew also.

And why is this thread on this forum?

Standard_Departure
4th Jun 2002, 15:46
Any accident that includes the loss of life is sad, be it one or one hundred... having said that Cronje stood out as an icon to Sports Lovers all over the World..... sadly, he was also a Role Model to many kids, whose parents now try and explain it .....

MT Edelstone56 , You are truly naive if you think he was the only Captain on the take, as it turned out, he was just the one who took the fall, and became the example that the cricket administrators needed to punish.

PAXboy
4th Jun 2002, 21:21
For those that want some of the technical detail on this, there is a thread running in the appropriate geographic forum, African Aviation.

Nicosia
6th Jun 2002, 15:06
I believe the Captain was ex-SAA instructor Willie Meyer and the co-pilot was Ian Noakes.

I was with Ian at Hatfield Poly,when he was Chairman of the Gliding Club and we bumped into each other again as Aeronautical Engineers with Atlas Aircraft, Jan Smuts Airport a few years later.I lost touch with Ian when I left South Africa in 1984,so i was delighted to hear recently that he took up flying on a full time basis and was enjoying life flying an HS748

He was a true aviator and a brilliant friend,it was a privilege to have known him, a very sad loss, as indeed as was Hansie and Willie

God Rest their Souls

Soutie
7th Jun 2002, 08:12
Is it not a real shame that when someone dies, great pleasure seems to be derived from "Kicking them when they're down".

Perhaps we should grant Hansie recognition for trying to start again.

Condolences to families and friends of those who died.