PDA

View Full Version : As a student pilot, what should I read? What should I watch?

youcanever
1st Dec 2014, 20:20
I am a student pilot. I am studying Jeppesen books for PPL & ATPL studies, and also watching some videos on youtube. Besides that, I've downloaded couple of apps like "flightradar24", "aviationherald" etc.

Other than these, what should I read? What are the "must know" topics for me? I am very new to aviation and learning from the scratch. Would you recommend me some blogs or websites or channels to follow?

My Cessna flight lessons will start in 3 weeks. I also would like to know if you can give me some advice about what basics should I know before flying with instructor?

I'd like to make a good start.

Thank you in advance.

Armchairflyer
1st Dec 2014, 20:45
Off the top of my head ...
Books:
"Stick and rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.
"Flight discipline" by Tony Kern.
Online:
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/media/faa-h-8083-3b.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-25A.pdf
See How It Flies (http://www.av8n.com/how/)

Gpro
4th Dec 2014, 20:58
Sounds like you're on the right path with the right attitude. Well done. Just repare fully before each flight.

I didn't go to OAA for the ATPL exams however, their ATPL MEt interactive did was the best £60 I spent. I went from reading words to understanding.

Good luck

glendalegoon
9th Dec 2014, 01:18
go out and buy, "STICK AND RUDDER" like armchair flyer says.

"SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS" by lindbergh

"Fate is the hunter" gann

get the movies to the two above also!

learn in a piper not a cessna if you have a choice! a real piper not that import job.

good luck

oh, and if its legal where you live, buy a small radio to listen to aeronautical frequencies in your local airport area.

DO NOT GO NEAR A PROP even if it is not moving, be careful, someone could start up without warning (though they should yell: CLEARProp). You can inspect it while doing pre flight inspection.

P40Warhawk
9th Dec 2014, 13:16
Watch all Air Crash Investigation / Mayday Mayday's.

If you did not start yet, then you have quiet some to go. Starting with season 1.
Now we are as far as I know in season 14. They started in 2000.

I learned a lot from it. And by seeing everything, you might understand things also better.
It helped me a lot through my ATPL studies.

BJTW
13th Dec 2014, 00:18
If you intend to go from a PPL to ATPL the first thing to do is get your class 1 medical. It would be an awful lot of money spent if for some medical reason you are unable to qualify for a class 1.

Get hooked up with a really good instructor, the more experienced the better!

As P40Warhawk recommends watch Aircraft investigation, as it does help you understand how an aircraft works, it's limitations and solving problems when things go wrong. Saying that, it may put you off or make you very nervous especially as a new student pilot

Glendalegoon suggests learning in a piper and not a Cessna without giving any reason ?? Personally I would choose the Cessna over the Piper, so would suggest you read up on the pros and cons of each.

King Air used to do these DVD's and they really are quite good, anything visual is always better than reading words out of books

Prepare right from the start for your first lesson. Phone the school talk to your instructor and ask him what you will be doing for on your first lesson and go study up, make ready theoretically so you are prepared. Always make sure you are prepared for each lesson before the lesson, so if your instructor has forgotten to say what you will be doing on your next lesson ASK!!

Finally Enjoy!!

banjodrone
13th Dec 2014, 22:06
Hmm, when I was learning we were specifically "forbidden" from reading Stick & Rudder. I have since read it and it's not bad but there are a few things in it that need revision and updating. Apart from the Airspeed Vs Attitude reference debate which I'm not going to get into because I think both sides have their points, it dwells too much on some issues and the prediction that airplanes wouldn't have rudder pedals soon after it was written still hasn't come true!