PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus

Pandora
1st Jun 2002, 12:44
Have just read this lovely little summary of the EI crisis over on the BASSA forum (yes, we do read it.)

"Aer lingus managers put forward new roster proposals to try to save money and the ever-ailing-airline, so they all said **** you and decided to walk! 15ooo people have been stranded in Dublin today and more strikes planned for the weekend. Aer Lingus are good at walkouts and strikes. Last Summer they had several one-day ground staff strikes, baggage handler strikes, Pilot strikes to name but a few! I pity any commuters from the Emerald Isle over the next few weeks!!!!!!! "

Now please tell me that all you sensible CC out there are aware of the very good reasons why the EI pilots had to strike, that you would do the same if your colleagues had been suspended for what is perfectly reasonable and legal behaviour, and that some of you are aware that the reason that so many pax are stranded is not because of pilot strikes, but because EI have locked the pilots out of work for several days, citing pilot disruption leaving the aircraft in the wrong places. Funny how after the ATC problems of 2 weeks ago didn't result in airlines refusing to carry pax because the aircraft were all in the wrong place.

EI are using the Oneworld Alliance codeshare booking system to ensure that BA are saving their bacon (using management pilots to avoid anyone throwing a sickie to avoid scabbing). If they can cut flight crew flight time limitations below waht is an acceptable level (9hrs in the hotel, anyone, and not a split duty in sight?) they can shaft the CC too.

Imagine, if you can, being made to work with below minimum rest on a regular basis, and then being suspended on no pay. Your colleagues take the only action they can, and lo and behold, your MCSs pull their finger out to do some work once and for all. In the meantime your pilot colleagues are badmouthing your underhand tactics to anyone who will listen.

You can read the full story on the Reporting points forum. However if anyone wishes to reproduce this post on the BASSA forum so that our token BA dumb blonds can get the full story I give my permission.