PDA

View Full Version : If you ever doubted the BBC was left wing...

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Dec 2014, 17:12
You should listen to their current praise of that economy-wrecking idiot, Gordon Brown. PM had 2 commentators on his legacy. One for him (tough call), one against (fish in a barrel?). Oh no! Both were gushing in their praise of this incompetent pillock!

No mention of his killing off private sector pensions by robbing their funds to prop up public pensions.

No mention of his gross mismanagement of the economy leaving the biggest debt and the biggest deficit in history. "No more boom or bust"! What a prat!

No mention of his inflating the size of the public sector to quite unsustainable levels.

It makes you wonder what a Labour politician has to do to get a bad press from the BBC!

con-pilot
1st Dec 2014, 17:17
QUOTE]It makes you wonder what a Democratic politician has to do to get a bad press from NBC! [/QUOTE]

Changed that to reflect the US version of your post. :ok:

I feel your pain my friend.

MG23
1st Dec 2014, 17:20
Ah, but the lefties keep telling me that Gordon Brown was right-wing. So was Stalin, apparently.

Effluent Man
1st Dec 2014, 17:27
I don't see it as left wing. It's just toadying to a retiring PM. Cameron is hard at it too. It's the sort of thing that happens with obits where speaking ill of the dead is verboten. I would far rather see honest appraisals.

Capetonian
1st Dec 2014, 17:36
The only honest appraisal of Gordon Brown that anyone in the public eye gave was that given by Jeremy Clarkson.

Krystal n chips
1st Dec 2014, 17:51
Nice to see the mutual meeting of minds already taking place with their sublime mix of charm and eloquence.

That perennial rant / lament about pensions.....alas, the credibility of this lament was ever so slightly negated with the display of no less than three motorcycles recently, along with travelling First class hither and thither...and, if your pension was that bad, why stay with the same company..... for how long ?

The BBC are more pragmatic that you realise. They gave the unlamented deceased a similar pragmatic offering for example.

Brown made errors....nobody disputes this....and in this respect he's no better or worse than numerous predecessors.....the current charmless incumbent isn't going to be remembered for any positive benefit to the UK now is he ?

You may want to read this link therefore...

Gordon Brown's U.K. Economic Record: A Reassessment - Businessweek (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-12/gordon-browns-u-dot-k-dot-economic-record-a-reassessment)

MG23
1st Dec 2014, 19:40
Brown made errors....nobody disputes this....and in this respect he's no better or worse than numerous predecessors.....the current charmless incumbent isn't going to be remembered for any positive benefit to the UK now is he ?

Brown took the best economy Britain had seen in decades, and turned it into... the worst economy Britain had seen in decades.

Effluent Man
1st Dec 2014, 19:44
Yes,but Bloomberg Businessweek is a notoriously left wing rag.

Trinity 09L
1st Dec 2014, 20:10
The next step for Broon is up to the Lord's ( to join Mandy) for the obligatory peerage and pay packet(s) + his MP's pension. :rolleyes:

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Dec 2014, 20:21
Why does this somehow remind me of previous tributes to departed leaders ...

r6cnryxwH6A

Sir George Cayley
1st Dec 2014, 21:01
All politicians are equally bad. It's just some are more bad than others.:ugh:

SGC

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Dec 2014, 21:41
I have never doubted the BBC was/is left wing.
I've never met anyone who has.

ShyTorque
1st Dec 2014, 21:57
Brown was half right when he said "no more boom and bust".

SHornet
1st Dec 2014, 22:04
So he's stepping down as an MP.

Good. :mad: off, and then :mad: off again. When you get there, you may :mad: right off once more.

He ruined this country. Well, he and Blair did. Miliband and Balls were their apprentices and they will make the same mistakes. If you can't learn from history and all that.......

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Dec 2014, 22:07
Mr Brown said he was in "no doubt" that stepping down was the right thing to do.

and has been for 20 years! :ok:

Have you ever seen a bigger or more genuine smile from Her Majesty?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/79421000/jpg/_79421996_009268230-1.jpg
He resigned as prime minister after the 2010 general election

Dushan
1st Dec 2014, 22:26
QUOTE]It makes you wonder what a Democratic politician has to do to get a bad press from NBC!

Changed that to reflect the US version of your post. :ok:

I feel your pain my friend.

Con, it's ok, it's just you and I who watch them.

Krystal n chips
2nd Dec 2014, 05:01
As Gordon Brown was, seemingly, responsible for the UK's financial crash, here's what the current occupier of No11 has achieved.....by way of comparison.

Low-paid jobs at the root of Osborne?s failure to bring down the deficit | Politics | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/01/analysis-low-paid-jobs-deficit-george-osborne-alistair-darling)

sitigeltfel
2nd Dec 2014, 05:25
At some time in the future his sycophants and apologists may raise a statue to his memory.

It is a pity that only pigeons will get the opportunity to give him the treatment he so richly deserves.

Andy_S
2nd Dec 2014, 07:28
As Gordon Brown was, seemingly, responsible for the UK's financial crash, here's what the current occupier of No11 has achieved.....by way of comparison.

As if The Guardian has an objective view.........

pulse1
2nd Dec 2014, 08:57
I won't hear a word said against Gordon Brown. He paid 40% of the cost of my PPL retraining in 1997. A great chap. A useless chancellor and prime minister but, in my book, a great chap.:yuk:

teeteringhead
2nd Dec 2014, 09:02
The next step for Broon is up to the Lord's He has said he won't go to the Lords - will leave Westminster completely, stay in Jockistan (with his wee wife and bairns) and carry on his work as UN Educational Ambassador or some such - whatever that is..... :confused:

Capetonian
2nd Dec 2014, 09:14
Whatever faults he had as a politician, in fact I'd say he had no merits as a politician, he was straight-talking and what you saw was what you got. Not like that smarmy oleaginous Blair.

I though GB's speech last night was quite moving.

G-CPTN
2nd Dec 2014, 09:18
He has said he won't go to the Lords
The steward from Hull (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prescott) took the shilling.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Dec 2014, 09:39
Whatever faults he had as a politician, in fact I'd say he had no merits as a politician, he was straight-talking and what you saw was what you got. Not like that smarmy oleaginous Blair.

I agree Brown was straightforward. Straightforwardly stupid, misguided and incompetent and out of his depth. What we saw was indeed what we got! A feckin' disaster for UK!

Blair was something else altogether. Slimy, devious, very clever, self-serving, and probably one of the few people in public life who truly deserve the description 'evil'. Just seeing him on TV makes my flesh creep.

teeteringhead
2nd Dec 2014, 09:41
Not to mention flogging off the Gold Reserves when the price was rock bottom....... :ugh:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Dec 2014, 09:46
Teetering, it was worse than that. In announcing what he was going to do, gold prices went through the floor in time for his sale!

See what I mean about 'stupid'?

maliyahsdad2
2nd Dec 2014, 10:24
Not to mention flogging off the Gold Reserves when the price was rock bottom....... :ugh:

A few years before the prices rocketed to record highs too!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Dec 2014, 11:09
Guido Fawkes has gathered together the youtube vids of Gordon IsAMoron's finest moments.
Bogey-picking in Parliament, The soldier refusing his handshake, etc

Guy Fawkes' blog of parliamentary plots, rumours and conspiracy (http://order-order.com/)

"He's the PM. We in the military work for him. He should be setting an example.
I can't get over how disrespectful he's been to us. His reaction to the uniform is terrible.
It's not about me or my medal. It's all of us. We were representing the Army in front of him and he didn't seem to care less.
This is nothing to do with the election, or who I want to be PM. My problem is with him personally, Gordon Brown the man."

Johnson Beharry VC

Blacksheep
2nd Dec 2014, 12:23
Whatever he did, we all owe Gordon a great debt.

Ancient Observer
2nd Dec 2014, 12:57
As the Eye has consistently pointed out for many, many years, the Beeb is full of Trots and Pinkoes.
They even think that Paxman is a Tory!!! He's wetter than a drowned rat.

Trinity 09L
2nd Dec 2014, 15:46
Broon also gave us PFI, saddling us with more debt, he also sold off the 3g waveband, UN education ambassador, they will learn what?:ugh:

1DC
2nd Dec 2014, 16:09
It is true that the steward from Hull took the shilling but he said he only did it so that his wife could be a lady!!

ShyTorque
2nd Dec 2014, 17:10
and carry on his work as UN Educational Ambassador or some such - whatever that is.....

Teeters,

I have no doubt whatsoever that he'll be just as successful as the previous P.M., now of course the "Middle East Peace Envoy"....

G-CPTN
2nd Dec 2014, 17:21
he only did it so that his wife could be a lady!!
http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/552053-us-air-makes-adynaton-pigs-will-fly-come-true.html

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Dec 2014, 17:22
If he does to international education what he did for UK education, then the UK should be pre-eminent again!!

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Dec 2014, 19:24
he also sold off the 3g waveband
Be fair, he got away with an astonishing rip-off there; no telcos were daft enough to fall for it again when 4g came around.

Shack37
2nd Dec 2014, 22:37
To be honest, she managed to keep out of the limelight and didn't do anything to embarrass him. I don't think he needed any help :E

He had someone else to kneel under his desk.

Impress to inflate
2nd Dec 2014, 23:56
Your also forgetting the c0ck sold 400 tons of UK gold for what has been reported at $256 to $296 per ounce. Was it his to sell ? Did no one in the Labour party try to stop him? Was it made public at the time what he was doing?

ITI

Krystal n chips
3rd Dec 2014, 05:15
A short time later.......for those with dysfunctional thinking, this means that Labour are not the current Gov't and thus not responsible for the economy.......to save the "it's all Brown / Labour's fault!".....responses.

Autumn statement: prepare for George Osborne to use sleight of hand | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/02/autumn-statement-george-osborne-sleight-hand)

Wingswinger
3rd Dec 2014, 06:33
Ah, it's in the Grauniad. It must be true.

Capetonian
3rd Dec 2014, 08:31
On a rail journey a couple of weeks ago, the very well-dressed and well-spoken elderly gent sitting opposite me was reading the Guardian and occasionally smiling to himself and shaking his head.

Later I noticed him reading the Economist, Telegraph, and Times. Chatting to him over the rather good lunch that ECML offered, he was clearly an out and out capitalist and right-winger. He told me he reads the Guardian because "one has to know what the enemy are spouting, even if it's just the usual lefty mantras over and over again."

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Dec 2014, 09:33
I used to read the Guardian for many years for the same reason that chap on the train did. On the plus side it was usually well written, on the minus side it was getting steadily more loony left.

I think it was the dreadfully 'head up her bum' far left twattery of Polly Toynbe that finally decided me that it was time to stop.

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Dec 2014, 09:41
I think it was the dreadfully 'head up her bum' far left twattery of Polly Toynbe that finally decided me that it was time to stop.I think it was the dreadfully 'head up her bum' far left twattery of Polly Toynbe that finally decided me that it was time to stop.
Yeah, I used to read it too, and she was one of the reasons I stopped too.

(I did email her once when she got something unarguably wrong, and the reply was along the lines of "yes but you should have known I didn't mean that".)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Dec 2014, 10:52
Guardian Readership 179,146. (Oct 2014 - down 9.9% on last year)

Nobody reads the newspapers, but the media are desperately promoting the impression that they still have some influence.

You would probably get more impact writing in Heroes & Villains.

vulcanised
3rd Dec 2014, 11:39
What finished my long-standing relationship with the Telegraph was Ann Robinson climbing on board.

sitigeltfel
3rd Dec 2014, 12:48
The "dead tree" press will decline to a level where some of the big names will start to disappear. As the circulation falls, advertisers will see less exposure and they will either cut their budgets or demand bigger discounts. This will accelerate the spiral, and the Guardian, which relies heavily on the revenue it gets from advertising public service jobs and announcements, could be the first to fall.

I notice that the new Scottish paper, The National (http://www.thenational.scot/), set up a few weeks ago to trumpet the SNP is already suffering a plummeting readership. I doubt it will last long onto the New Year.

Sir Niall Dementia
3rd Dec 2014, 13:07
Pulse1;

GB did not pay for 40% of your PPL in 1997. That deal had been sorted by the previous Tory government to assist people to gain professional qualifications (not just in aviation) at his first budget he took that one away saying "I'm not paying for flying lessons for people!" He also tried to block MOD expenditure on accommodation, pay, kit and God knows what else because "the military all vote Tory." When I was a junior army officer my blokes mostly voted Labour because that was their background, Brown just didn't understand people.

I heard the BBC tripe, Brown and Blair did a criminal level of damage to this country with Brown's economic policy and Blair's foreign policy. Their apprentices were Milliband and Balls, two men who should never be allowed to have power over anything.

SND

barit1
3rd Dec 2014, 13:49
NBC-TV - Chuck Todd's Meet The Press opened Sunday with side-by-side photo pair (split screen) of Ferguson MO. Officer Darrin Wilson (mug shot) and street thug Michael Brown (in graduation cap & gown).

Now tell me again about the unbiased media? :ugh:

Andy_S
3rd Dec 2014, 14:41
He also tried to block MOD expenditure on accommodation, pay, kit and God knows what else because "the military all vote Tory."

One of the things which has been overlooked in the current deification of the great Gordo is that for all his pretensions of being practical, reliable and statesmanlike, he was in fact deeply tribal. He hated the Conservative Party and Conservative voters, and happily went out of his way to rub their noses in it.

Krystal n chips
3rd Dec 2014, 17:46
" He hated the Conservative Party and Conservative voters, and happily went out of his way to rub their noses in it

I am at a loss to understand your concern here.....

Let's not forget, just to even matters up, the contempt the current Gov't has people who cannot defend themselves against barbaric cuts in welfare payments.....

Nick Riviera
4th Dec 2014, 09:22
barbaric cuts in welfare payments

I see you are using this thread as a job application to join the Beeb.

sitigeltfel
4th Dec 2014, 09:39
barbaric cuts in welfare paymentsYou need to turn your hyperbole setting down a few notches.

The only barbaric cuts that the UK has seen in living memory were those inflicted on Fusilier Lee Rigby by two Muslim nutjobs.

Their inspiration and apologist, Anjem Choudary, exists on the benefits paid to him by the UK taxpayer.

Andy_S
4th Dec 2014, 12:34
Let's not forget, just to even matters up, the contempt the current Gov't has people who cannot defend themselves against barbaric cuts in welfare payments.....

I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who once observed that the definition of poverty in this country seemed to be based around whether or not you had a Plasma TV. Of course, he doesn’t write for the Guardian so his thoughts can be disregarded…….

Anyway, you seem to have missed my point. I said that Gordon Brown hated Tories; your riposte suggests that the current government hate those who rely on welfare. Not the Labour Party or Labour supporters, but recipients of benefits. So you’re responding to a point that I never actually made in the first place.

Krystal n chips
5th Dec 2014, 05:01
Nick,

I would be delighted to work for either the BBC or the Guardian...can you arrange it please ?......but not based in London.

I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who once observed that the definition of poverty in this country seemed to be based around whether or not you had a Plasma TV. Of course, he doesn’t write for the Guardian so his thoughts can be disregarded…….

Anyway, you seem to have missed my point. I said that Gordon Brown hated Tories; your riposte suggests that the current government hate those who rely on welfare.

Quoting, or indeed referring, to Clarkson as a source of intellectual comment on any topic is invariably a sign of desperation....and delusion. I don't think you'll find many Tory voters visiting food banks to live...

Some time later.....reprised.

George Osborne rattled by tax experts? accusations of colossal scale of cuts | Politics | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/04/george-osborne-autumn-statement-fiscal-studies-cuts)

For all those budding vigilantes out there....and we have a few on here....it would seem your dreams may yet come true.....

Britain in 2020 ? a vision of the future, from rutted roads to citizen cops | Society | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/dec/04/britain-2020-vision-of-the-future)

I know, it's an utter disgrace that not everybody is in thrall to George and Dave's "Brave New ( means tested ) World as proposed for the future, but, thankfully, sanity has not yet been eradicated within the UK.

Bronx
5th Dec 2014, 06:33
Krystal n chips

Brave New ( means tested ) World?

Are you against means testing?
If you are, why?

What's wrong with giving assistance to folk according to their means?

Nick Riviera
5th Dec 2014, 06:42
I would be delighted to work for either the BBC or the Guardian

And they would be delighted to have you. What was that phrase of Lenin's - "Useful idiots"?

Quoting, or indeed referring, to The Guardian as a source of intellectual comment on any topic is invariably a sign of desperation

Fixed that one for you. You're welcome.

Capetonian
5th Dec 2014, 07:07
Tories at war with 'biased BBC' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11274340/Tories-at-war-with-biased-BBC.html?WT.mc_id=e_3734528&WT.tsrc=email&etype=frontpage&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Edi_FAM_New_TEST_V2_2014_12_5&utm_campaign=3734528)

The Conservatives have accused the BBC (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/) of “bias” and “systematic exaggeration” after David Cameron and George Osborne launched an unprecedented attack on the corporation’s coverage of the Autumn Statement (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autumn-statement/).

The row threatens to cause tensions between the Tories and the BBC five months from what is shaping up to be one of the most unpredictable general elections in decades.

Effluent Man
5th Dec 2014, 07:11
Playing cut and paste with other people's posts is pretty poor fooling. It's not big and it's not clever. Some originality please. In the case of the Autumn Statement all the BBC have done is to point out the failings in exactly the same way as the IFS have done.

Nick Riviera
5th Dec 2014, 09:02
Playing cut and paste with other people's posts is pretty poor fooling. It's not big and it's not clever. Some originality please.

Yes, sorry. It is preferable to post hearsay from internet forums as "facts". Much more original. :ugh:

Krystal n chips
5th Dec 2014, 16:30
Nick....can you let me have a date for my interview please....I would be delighted as I say.....other than being London based, to work for the Beeb or Guardian !....think how positive that would look on a CV...... and the kudos....well, that would be the icing on the cake !

Bronx.....that's a good question about means testing. In principle, it's fine and should, in theory, allow the benefits to be targeted towards who genuinely need assistance.

Theory, as always in the case of society, doesn't equate to practice.

Please read this article which articulates some of the reasons I am not a supporter of means testing.

Why means testing benefits is not efficient or fair | Social Care Network | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/2013/jan/14/means-testing-benefits-not-efficient-fair)

barit1
15th Dec 2014, 18:14
Last Wednesday 10 Dec. two "big" revelations came forth in Congress. One was old news, intended to cause embarrassment to a past administration (well, really two or more past administrations). Senator Feinstein did her best to tout the CIA EIT report, though it created more heat than light.

At the other end of the Capitol building, Dr. Jonathan Gruber was grilled - to attempt to embarrass one party by re-revealing the truth about their PPACA legislative processes. This time, little heat NOR light; There was no mystery about it once Nancy P. made her infamous "We have to pass the bill..." declaration four years ago.

The networks did their due diligence on the Sunday talk shows, and guess what? ABC, CBS, and NBC focused exclusively on the CIA report. Even "fair & balanced Fox" fell for the diversion tactic.

As I've often quoted L. Frank Baum — 'Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!'