PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Director: Callsign Only...

Jefferson Airplane
1st Dec 2014, 10:34
During my short periods of useful consciousness on the Desdi 7C into DXB at 04:30 this morning, the question of "Contact Dubai Director 127.9, callsign only" crossed my mind.

Some use standard phraseology and address the station first, followed by the callsign, while others simply transmit just their callsign.

I don't know of anywhere else in the world where this is practised - any ATCs like to enlighten us as to what is expected?

sleeper
1st Dec 2014, 11:21
It is the same in AMS. They will not say "contact approach with callsign only" . It is written in the airportinfo to do so. Many add a "goodmorning" and such.
That greatly reduces the amount of radiotraffic during a busy period.

And I think LHR is the same.

helen-damnation
1st Dec 2014, 11:27
And just to cause complete confusion, when instructed to call Director in LHR, they want type, atis etc etc.

Lets make standard actually mean something FFS :mad:

10 DME ARC
1st Dec 2014, 12:03
Well I have used it all my working life six years in DXB and another 26 in UK??

XTurb
1st Dec 2014, 16:23
So, are we expected to address Director first? Or just say simply state call-sign?

10 DME ARC
1st Dec 2014, 18:09
Either "Dubai Director ABC123" or "ABC123" but NOT "ABC123 passing 4.5 for 4A speed 190kt capt's name Nigel co-pilot Gary......"

nolimitholdem
1st Dec 2014, 18:19
Well if you're gonna go down THAT road, then are guys still incapable of reading their own :mad: DXB CCI pages and only give the callsign and passing altitude on initial call with Arrival? Or are they still giving the type, atis, QNH, Super repeated 8x, crew meal choice etc etc etc.

Seriously, it isn't rocket surgery.

The Outlaw
1st Dec 2014, 18:26
C'mon guys...REALLY?

Who's "benefit" is this for anyway?

Who gives a "toss" "rats ass" or otherwise...

The previous controller says "contact director (here is the clue in case you missed it being pedantic) CALL SIGN ONLY" Which means "CALL SIGN ONLY"

It means forget the atis ID, passing level, "good morning/evening/Merry Xmas etc", your age or otherwise...CALL SIGN ONLY.

Call sign only means just that...CALL SIGN ONLY.

Here is the correct way to contact Dubai Director when told by the previous controller to "contact director..CALL SIGN ONLY..." ....."XX123"...no more no less...if they want more, they'll ask.

If there is more expected then they'll publish it in the CCI, AOI or country specific notes.

Seems very clear to me. The scary thing is that some rocket scientist will post below with some other interpretation of what "CALL SIGN ONLY" means.

Silky
1st Dec 2014, 18:31
nolimitholdem:ugh:
Well if you're gonna go down THAT road, then are guys still incapable of reading their own DXB CCI pages and only give the callsign and passing altitude on initial call with Arrival? Or are they still giving the type, atis, QNH, Super repeated 8x, crew meal choice etc etc etc.

Seriously, it isn't rocket surgery:ugh::ugh:

Your right...it isn't, and its on the AOI not the CCI and so you can get it correct next time I have pasted it below!(even with the spelling error)
Before you throw stones at others at least get it right!!

On inital contact with ARR report: - ACFT callsign
- Passing LVL
- ACFT type
Advice if full RWY length is required.

mhk77
1st Dec 2014, 19:17
When GMC instruct you to 'Monitor tower on 118.75/119.95', you don't need to contact us to tell us you're on 'Mike to hold at M13' or, the best one, 'Tower this is UAExxx monitoring......' :ok:

Am NOT Sure
1st Dec 2014, 19:50
The call sign only is because the director ins expecting you to call and there's no chance of confusion here

Director xxx123 or xxx123 only

Am sure they are watching the thread in amusement ... Too little oxygen up there made us what we are now .. Dear god am not even 30 .. Why are you doing this to us ?

ruserious
2nd Dec 2014, 03:50
Wow, awesome thread, how to make the simple complicated, been in the Middle East too long chaps :ugh:

falconeasydriver
2nd Dec 2014, 04:38
Wow, awesome thread, how to make the simple complicated, been in the Middle East too long chaps

Merely a hangover from the "australian" legacy....:E

ekwhistleblower
2nd Dec 2014, 06:01
Outlaw, can you just clarify again please!

fliion
2nd Dec 2014, 06:04
I see the thumb brigade have found a new cause célèbre...

f.

harry the cod
2nd Dec 2014, 06:30
Nolimitholdem

The example you gave is for departure only, being call sign and passing level, that's it. Arrival is exactly the same only with your aircraft type included.

Harry

ManaAdaSistem
3rd Dec 2014, 07:28
Fingerprints, callsigns, flight bags, toilet paper, sock color, hat size, FPV switch, slant range, with all these super important issues in your heads, how do you even manage to get the aircraft off the ground?

PositiveRate876
3rd Dec 2014, 08:08
Can you clarify which airline and aircraft type are you referring to Mana?

ManaAdaSistem
3rd Dec 2014, 10:59
Yes, I can.
The airline and the aircraft.

NephewBob
3rd Dec 2014, 15:13
The director has all your info from the guy sitting next to him (arrivals), & in the interest of keeping talk to a minimum, he only wants Your callsign, not his, as he already knows that he is the final approach director.

Enos
3rd Dec 2014, 15:53
The Director knows who he is .... I like it.

Unlike us pilots that have trouble remembering the call sign, when asked for it by the guy on the transport desk.

ATC have the best job, they get to talk to pilots all day:ok:

de facto
3rd Dec 2014, 16:03
So at least no more "airborne" nonsense there either? wonderful im moving there:E

Bypass ratio
4th Dec 2014, 03:47
ICAO Annex 10 Radiotelephony Procedures quite clearly states that the station be first identified.
Google the document & see 5.2.1.6 Composition of messages.
If you read further, it also states you may omit the location of the station if no doubt exists.

So therefore:

"Director, Emirates 226" would be the correct phraseology if being told "Callsign only"

If your in an A380 then " Director, 'The' Emirates 2 Super" .....lol

Capn Rex Havoc
4th Dec 2014, 04:18
Bypass Ratio is correct.

Plus saying the station name first, minimises the confusion time when pilots don't switch the frequency by error, i.e. they dial in 127.9 but don't transfer from 124.9
Errors occur - how many times have you heard people calling dnata on ATC freq for example.

Otto Throttle
7th Dec 2014, 09:07
When you check in, give your callsign twice. It saves the poor director having to say "Station calling?" or "Say again?".

Kill two birds with one stone I say ;-)

NephewBob
7th Dec 2014, 16:17
If the controller really wanted you to say both callsigns, he would say that, as in plural, however what I hear they say is: Call 127.9 with callsign only, which is singular.

I reckon that is just mine, to comply with the original purpose of brevity. After all isn't that a 'clearance' not to say all the other (ICAO) stuff?

I think that you can say Merry Christmas, or anything else you like AFTER the director calls you back.

I usually do not pull out all the legal books when I am in busy airspace, I usually just do what I'm told.

XTurb
8th Dec 2014, 05:34
It's pedantic as hell, I know, but one could argue that the instruction to "contact director..." implies just that. State station name "Director" as you would with any other instruction to contact the next station. And then state call-sign only.

ManaAdaSistem
8th Dec 2014, 06:08
I still don't understand how you manage to get the aircraft airborne?

Shakey Joe
8th Dec 2014, 07:06
Fingerprints, callsigns, flight bags, toilet paper, sock color, hat size, FPV switch, slant range, with all these super important issues in your heads, how do you even manage to get the aircraft off the ground?

:D:D:D:D

Lmao..!

Thankyou Mana...needed that.

glofish
8th Dec 2014, 07:28
Mana

Maybe that's why you are who you are and you fly where you fly :}

The Outlaw
8th Dec 2014, 08:18
I don't think that has anything to do with it Glo, this thread has just gone from the ridiculous to the sublime. Sometimes posters even debate the use of punctuation here...

Lets discuss the REALLY IMPORTANT topics like how much better/worse the 777 is compared to the A380 (or "Dugong" for those who don't know what callsign only means!)