PDA

View Full Version : Do pilots choose their aircrafts ?

Cleared For Taxiing
1st Dec 2014, 06:43
Hi :)

I hope i'll find some answers to this questions . Can a pilot fly a Boeing and an Airbus in the same period ? And do pilots choose the aircrafts to fly with or it is the company that do it ?

Thank you !

Laarbruch72
1st Dec 2014, 09:09
Generally speaking, pilots can "bid" for a specific aircraft type but the chance of a successful bid depend largely on seniority, and above all else the company need for the right numbers on the right fleet at the right bases. So if you're senior and there are vacancies on your chosen aircraft at your chosen base, you'd have a good chance of getting your wish. If you're junior and your desire is for a popular fleet (a new type for example), chances will be very slim. So yes, to some extent you may be able to "choose", but it's not quite as straightforward as that.

Most companies don't favour dual rating between Airbus and Boeing, but it does happen. It's far more common to have dual rating across two or more of one manufacturer's types.

glendalegoon
1st Dec 2014, 12:59
generally, no you can't

technically, I suppose if you were rich beyond belief you could fly a dozen different planes in one day.

like the other poster said, you bid (request) and get what you get. you get trained on that plane and you fly it.

some planes like the Boeing 757 and 767 are considered one plane as they are similar and designed that way to save money in training the pilots.

Cleared For Taxiing
1st Dec 2014, 17:30
Ah Okey now things are clear .

Thank you

tdracer
1st Dec 2014, 18:06
While it's theoretically possible to be type rated on both Boeing and Airbus and fly both 'interchangeably', it would probably be a really bad idea.
There are some pretty fundamental differences between the way Boeing and Airbus systems work - which is better is major subject of debate that I won't go into. But they are different, and switching back and forth would be confusing and potentially dangerous.
In contrast, as glendalegoon noted, the 757/767 have a common type rating, and there is sufficient commonality that it only takes a quick 'differences' course to transition between 757/767 and the 777 (or visa-verse).
Many people believe that the Asiana 777 San Francisco crash last year was caused at least in part because the pilot flying was a long time A320 pilot that was transitioning to the 777 and didn't fully understand or appreciate the differences in the way the two aircraft worked.