PDA

View Full Version : accelerated slipstream

oldman04271940
1st Dec 2014, 03:00
Can someone explain what effect the accelerated slipstream has upon a critical engine failure of a twin engine propeller aircraft. My first time here, hope I got this right.

keith williams
1st Dec 2014, 15:46
Propeller slipstream increases the energy of the air stream over the part of the wing over which it flows. This increased energy increases the lift produced by that part of the wing. If one of the engines of a twin prop aircraft fails, the propeller slipstream over one wing will be lost, while that over the other wing will remain unchanged. The wing with the live engine will then be producing more lift than the wing with the dead engine. This uneven lift distribution will produce a tendency for the aircraft to roll towards the dead engine.

The exhaust stream from jet engines does not usually flow over the wings, so there is no significant change in lift when one engine fails on a twin jet aircraft.

Regardless of engine type, there will of course also be a strong tendency for the aircraft to yaw towards the dead engine, due to the loss of thrust from the dead engine.

oldman04271940
4th Dec 2014, 16:59
Thank you so much Keith. I'm 74 years old and never had the money to take flying lessons. A few weeks ago here in Wichita, Kansas USA a Air King b200 lost his left engine just after rotation and crashed. I wanted to know why. So I did some research and found a little information about the loss of the accelerated slipstream. But not a good explanation of it, so I ask in yahoo answers in the aircraft category for someone to explain it to me. All the pilots that answered me said it had little or no lifting effect. Many of them were seasoned pilots and some also airline pilots. So I kept restructuring my question and providing web links for them to read. However they never read them and turned me in for violations. I believe the answers people give there should be factual and provide web links to support their answers. Would you ask them to explain it to you to see what answer you get? A lot of young people are getting led astray from wrong answers. This information could save someones life.
NTSB report on King Air crash at Mid-Continent details eyewitness accounts - Wichita Business Journal (http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog/2014/11/ntsb-report-on-king-air-crash-at-mid-continent.html?page=all)
Small Jet Crashes Into a Safety Building, Killing 4 at Airport in Wichita, Kansas Video - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/small-jet-crashed-safety-building-killing-airport-wichita-26597222)