PDA

View Full Version : Misheard Callsigns

Airbanda
30th Nov 2014, 20:27
Quick stop yesterday at Sheldon Park to view BHX traffic. Nice views of the Emirates 777 but otherwise quiet. Just about to pack up and leave when there was call to tower from an aircraft with pilot who's first language was not English and call-sign 'Towbar'. Interesting, I thought and deided to hang around.

Couple more calls before I twigged word was actually 'Stobart' and it was a EI ATR!!

Any others with tales of mis-heard callsigns?

Talkdownman
2nd Dec 2014, 20:05
Upper Clyde for Hapag Lloyd

Midland 331
3rd Dec 2014, 13:25
"Clanspeed"/"Transwede"

If I'm not mistaken, both Fedex and Channel Express once used the same "Express" callsign back in the 1980s, pre "Chan-ex".

Hotel Tango
3rd Dec 2014, 14:14
I found it was one thing identifying callsigns with a strip/electronic data in front of me, and quite another when simply listening to the r/t without this information. Even more so at airports with unfamiliar callsigns (to me). Wish I'd made a list of what I thought I'd heard and what it really was.

UK019
3rd Dec 2014, 15:00
Friend of mine from the Air Force heard a student call "Juliet nine wind, down one" in the circuit at Syerston.

My own misinterpretation was wondering who "Ebbelin" was, until I twigged it was "Air Berlin."

And those of us who were in "Buzz" when Ryanair took over, after decades of the "UKAY" call sign, found ourselves starting every transmission with "URINEAIR" ...:uhoh:

dixi188
3rd Dec 2014, 23:29
"Channex" used to be "Expressair" which got confused with Air Europe Express who used the call sign "Express".
Going to the Channel Isles with something like "Expressair 501" and "Express 501" on frequency at the same time caused problems.
Channel Express changed to "Channex" to solve the problem and then Air Europe Express went bust a few months later.

spekesoftly
3rd Dec 2014, 23:42
I recall overhearing a taxi driver at Gatwick enquiring about the arrival of the "Cafe Specific".

CISTRS
4th Dec 2014, 04:04
CX at Gatwick?

ifonly
4th Dec 2014, 05:51
CX at Gatwick?

When they first started routes to the UK, it was to Gatwick.

Flightmech
4th Dec 2014, 12:02
"Clanspeed"/"Transwede"

If I'm not mistaken, both Fedex and Channel Express once used the same "Express" callsign back in the 1980s, pre "Chan-ex".

FedEx used the Express call sign up until the late 90's then simply changed to "FedEx". Several old timers took a while to get used to it and there were many corrections for the first 6 months :-)

Union Jack
4th Dec 2014, 12:34
.... with pilot who's first language was not English

Oh the irony!:)

Jack

chiglet
4th Dec 2014, 22:20
"Goose poo" aka Goosepool
Blaqueadder RAE
to name but two

Airbanda
15th May 2018, 14:24
Heard Gruyere several times recently - actually TUI Air!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th May 2018, 15:03
A USAF helicopter on a cross country in northern England was in contact with London FIR. In one position reports he gave an estimate for "Stealens". It took a while to realise he meant St Helens!

El Bunto
15th May 2018, 17:18
EASY and EASTFLIGHT ( Eastern Airways ) often hard to distinguish with some particular callsigns. EASY FIVE___ etc

The Flying Stool
16th May 2018, 08:10
My particular favourite at present is "Broad Sword" which often sounds like "Pork Sword" over the r/t.

jensdad
16th May 2018, 18:40
Easyjet Switzerland's 'Topswiss' sounds very like 'Thomson' especially if the flight number begins with an 's'. Problem solved by Thomson now calling up as 'Tui air'.

moswey4a
16th May 2018, 18:53
I always wondered about Maybelline having their own airline :O
(It was Air Berlin :))

Carbon Bootprint
17th May 2018, 00:50
I always wondered about Maybelline having their own airline :O
(It was Air Berlin :))I first heard AB as “Abilene.” :confused:

Gonzo
17th May 2018, 07:43
I’ve got away with ‘Sheena Easton 552’ over the years, as well as clearing SAS to ‘Oslo Garden Gnome’

Jn14:6
17th May 2018, 08:59
CISTRS

CX fly daily to LGW with A.350s.

spekesoftly
17th May 2018, 09:35
I see my post #7 from a few years ago is still causing some debate! Just for the record, the incident I described was from the early 1980s when Cathay Pacific were flying B747s to Gatwick.

dixi188
17th May 2018, 09:37
HD.
On a similar theme, many years ago, I heard a USAF MAC estimating "Saint Rumble" instead of Strumble, and also "Worthington" to which the controller replied "Mines a Double Diamond"
Long time ago and rubbish beer.

El Bunto
17th May 2018, 12:02
I suppose the opposite to confusable callsigns are the super-verbose ones:

RT CALLSIGN: AERO AGUASCALIENTES
AGENCY: SERVICIOS DE AEROTRANSPORTACION DE AGUASCALIENTES S.A. DE C.V., MEXICO

Now defunct.