PDA

View Full Version : Flying/Instructing in Thailand

flyerr
30th Nov 2014, 19:36
All,

I've been a silent member for a while now, keeping an eye on the forums and trying to soak up what knowledge I can. I haven't seen anything specifically addressing my questions, though, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm a new flight instructor with a part-time job at a flight school in the US. I expect to have a hundred or so hours of instruction given before I move to Bangkok in the summer for work, and I want to continue flying. As my day job pays sufficiently, I'm not looking for WORK, per se, so much as an opportunity to keep current and stay in the air.

1) How does the conversion/validation process from US to Thai licenses work? The latest info I saw here was dated 2010, and it has likely changed, given the recent changes in government.

2) What opportunities are there for me to instruct there? I don't care about being paid - which might not be allowed anyway, under the terms of my visa - but I'm willing to spend my free time teaching if there will be an opportunity to do so. Obviously, I'll need either an N-registered plane or a Thai license.

3) How desirable, over there, is an FAA-certified instructor who speaks native American English? I speak passable conversational Thai, though I'm by no means fluent.

Thanks to all for reading.

flyerr
2nd Aug 2015, 02:03
I'd hoped someone with knowledge of flying in Thailand might be able to help me out - is there anyone with some insight?

Ideally, I'd like to instruct - but would be open to a partnership in an airplane, etc.

Thanks!

grusa
2nd Aug 2015, 02:49
You would have to be very determined ever to fly here, never mind instruct. There is an active GA scene for resident foreigners, it is possible for visitors to fly as members of a club, Google Thai Flying Club. But to instruct: almost impossible. There are a couple of instructors employed to train airline pilots, but I suspect they are on Singapore contracts, so technically not working here!

Droste
2nd Aug 2015, 03:18
it is possible for visitors to fly as members of a club, Google Thai Flying Club. But to instruct: almost impossible.
I agree.

Flight Instructor vacancy reserved for the Thais.

ZFT
2nd Aug 2015, 03:39
grusa
There are a couple of instructors employed to train airline pilots, but I suspect they are on Singapore contracts, so technically not working here!

There are more than a couple legitimately working here on local contracts with work permits.

Captain Stravaigin
2nd Aug 2015, 11:32
One idea to give you a wee bit of low cost flying is as an FAA Instructor conducting BFRs and IPCs. There are few FAA rated instructors in south east asia and you would be in demand amongst a small, but select group.

If you are flying an N reg and both with FAA licences I would think all would be legit and legal (although best to check of course).

By the way I am in need of an IPC anytime now...

flyerr
3rd Aug 2015, 14:12
Grusa,

Thanks for the info - I've checked out the Thai Flying Club (as well as Nok Flying Club) and am looking forward to meeting their members! However, it's very expensive to fly there (compared to the US) and I'm hoping to get some work instructing. Does Thai law allow foreigners to instruct? I understand - but I'm not certain - that Thailand will not allow foreigners a commercial license validation, and that they'll only give private privileges?

You would have to be very determined ever to fly here, never mind instruct. There is an active GA scene for resident foreigners, it is possible for visitors to fly as members of a club, Google Thai Flying Club. But to instruct: almost impossible. There are a couple of instructors employed to train airline pilots, but I suspect they are on Singapore contracts, so technically not working here!

flyerr
3rd Aug 2015, 14:14
Droste,

Thanks for replying. What makes it so hard for foreigners to instruct?

I agree.

Flight Instructor vacancy reserved for the Thais.

flyerr
3rd Aug 2015, 14:18
Capt S,

I'm glad you mentioned that - it's actually one of the things I'd considered. I'm glad you think it would be in demand.

I've checked the regs, and I'd definitely be covered in an N-registered aircraft (FAA pilot, FAA CFI, FAA aircraft). I'm still trying to find an answer about doing it in a Thai or other aircraft, though. Is it easy to find N# planes there?

I'm happy to do your IPC, let me get settled and find an airplane!

One idea to give you a wee bit of low cost flying is as an FAA Instructor conducting BFRs and IPCs. There are few FAA rated instructors in south east asia and you would be in demand amongst a small, but select group.

If you are flying an N reg and both with FAA licences I would think all would be legit and legal (although best to check of course).

By the way I am in need of an IPC anytime now...

captjns
3rd Aug 2015, 18:00
Remember flyer, you are must comply with TSA requirements, regarding vetting students, prior to conducting instruction in "N" registered aircraft. Not required for flight reviews however.

A bit of a read from the AOPA.

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Flight-Instructor-Resources/AOPAs-Guide-to-TSAs-Alien-Flight-Training-Citizenship-Validation-Rule/Aliens-and-Non-U-S-Citizens-Seeking-Flight-Training

Captain Stravaigin
13th Aug 2015, 14:26
Hi Flyerr (sic)

Let me know when you are set up in TH, also if you are likely to visit KUL in the near future.
Incidentally I do something similar for EASA licence holders on SEPs in Malaysia.

Khob khun Krab and Good luck!

BOBAKAT
22nd Aug 2015, 09:29
Many years ago, i meet a foreign pilot in thaïland who managed to have a 5 years instructor licence....But only for ultralight...;)

spleener
22nd Aug 2015, 13:32
Flyerr,

I empathise with your situation, but kindly suggest that the Big World [and even Thailand] doesn't always work in our favour...;)

I think if you look at the list of approved employment at the Thai Immigration Office, you'll see that the only pilots eligible are "International" pilots. So, like many countries, no domestic flying visas available at this time....

flyerr
27th Mar 2016, 09:36
All,

I've finally gotten up and running in Thailand - thanks to all on here (and a few others in Thailand who aren't on the forums) for the help.

I'm available for BFRs, IPCs, and other instruction as needed - am located in Bangkok but may travel depending on the situation. If you're N-registered, or have PIC authority in whatever other plane you'd use, we're all set.

Please let me know if anyone's in the area and needs some help!

Captain Stravaigin
2nd Apr 2016, 02:45
Congrats on your move to TH. I hope it works out well for you.

I have no immediate plans to travel to BKK. But mId year is possible.

In t meantime my club has an N reg 172 if your travel plans were to include KUL.

Cheers

Iwannafly2
3rd Apr 2016, 09:31
Hey, i got my FAA cpl last summer in florida but havemt gotten a chance to fly again. I now reside in Dubai and still hold my license. Anybody know of somewhere i can get a N-registered airplane to maintain my instrument currency? I dont mind travelling even to the far east or flying dual, i just need to log 6 approaches. Please help😇. Thank you. My email is [email protected]

namesiw
2nd May 2016, 14:56
Hello to all of you.
Who knows and can post a list of aviation company (with helicopter) of the South East Asia, including Japan Philippines ect. to send my CV for a new job?
Actually i am living in Bangkok.
Thank you in advance.

lee_apromise
10th May 2016, 03:57
Any FAA instructor available for IPC in South East Asia (preferably Malaysia) in July?

Captain Stravaigin
17th May 2016, 11:44
Any FAA instructor available for IPC in South East Asia (preferably Malaysia) in July?

If u find one let me know. We can share costs

quagmiree
22nd May 2016, 16:15
Hi all, im looking for a FAA CFI and an aircraft to do a flight review for a FAA CPL in early June Bangkok or Malay. Kindly advise if you know anyone or any place that can do this.

Thanks.

CodyBlade
26th May 2016, 16:43
i saw an N reg 172 at Seletar complete with FI.

atila8888
5th Jun 2016, 13:12
some brıtısh are ınstructors are workıng ın thay

flyerr
7th Jun 2016, 14:22
All,

Since I've now managed to get through this process, I thought I'd share a little about the experience and how it works. This is how it worked for me at a flying club, but it's much the same for the airlines/corporate gigs.
Information dated May 2016.

1) Find a sponsor for your flying (airline, club, company, etc).

2) Apply through them for validation on your ICAO license. They will sponsor you to the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT, formerly DCAA) for the written test. You must submit the requisite paperwork - copies of certificate, medical, passport, etc, plus a fee somewhere around 2,000 THB (60 USD) to CAAT.

3) They will process all the above, and about two months later, you will be scheduled for the validation test on Thai Air Law. This 20-multiple-choice-question test is given in Bangkok on a computer, makes almost no logical sense whatsoever, and is pretty easy if you cram from a good study guide (PM me for details). The material has next to nothing to do with actually flying in Thailand. Example: What year was the Thai Air Navigation Act passed?

4) Bring the test results form back to your sponsor, and submit through them an application for validation, with more copies of all of the above paperwork. Wait another month for your existing certificate to be verified with its governing civil aviation authority.

5) Receive a license to fly in Thailand... sort of. Your license is good ONLY for the specific aircraft operated by your sponsor. Could be every tail number in an airline fleet, or just the one or two planes at your company/club. Your license will have only enough privileges to cover the aircraft and operations you'll be flying - if it's a single-engine, your license won't include multiengine. Not an IFR-certificated aircraft? No instrument rating. Flying at a club? Your ATP is now a private pilot license. (If you've bought your own aircraft in Thailand, your license will be good only for that specific tail number. Rich enough to buy a second plane? Great - you'll need to apply for an additional license, specific to that aircraft.)

6) Fly.

This is why there aren't many foreigners flying in Thailand... But it can be done, with enough persistence and patience. :ugh:

Good luck, and let me know if you need some help navigating this insane system.

VVaterblunt
31st Oct 2017, 07:31
All,

Since I've now managed to get through this process, I thought I'd share a little about the experience and how it works. This is how it worked for me at a flying club, but it's much the same for the airlines/corporate gigs.

2) Apply through them for validation on your ICAO license. They will sponsor you to the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT, formerly DCAA) for the written test. You must submit the requisite paperwork - copies of certificate, medical, passport, etc, plus a fee somewhere around 2,000 THB (60 USD) to CAAT.

3) They will process all the above, and about two months later, you will be scheduled for the validation test on Thai Air Law. This 20-multiple-choice-question test is given in Bangkok on a computer, makes almost no logical sense whatsoever, and is pretty easy if you cram from a good study guide (PM me for details). The material has next to nothing to do with actually flying in Thailand. Example: What year was the Thai Air Navigation Act passed?

4) Bring the test results form back to your sponsor, and submit through them an application for validation, with more copies of all of the above paperwork. Wait another month for your existing certificate to be verified with its governing civil aviation authority.

5) Receive a license to fly in Thailand... sort of. Your license is good ONLY for the specific aircraft operated by your sponsor. Could be every tail number in an airline fleet, or just the one or two planes at your company/club. Your license will have only enough privileges to cover the aircraft and operations you'll be flying - if it's a single-engine, your license won't include multiengine. Not an IFR-certificated aircraft? No instrument rating. Flying at a club? Your ATP is now a private pilot license. (If you've bought your own aircraft in Thailand, your license will be good only for that specific tail number. Rich enough to buy a second plane? Great - you'll need to apply for an additional license, specific to that aircraft.)

6) Fly.

This is why there aren't many foreigners flying in Thailand... But it can be done, with enough persistence and patience. :ugh:

Hello @Flyerr,

Thanks for your posts. Myself and my mate are very keen to start flying in Thailand and would be very appreciative of any assistance you might be able to give.

My email is [email protected].

Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards,

Michael.

Mike Flynn
7th Nov 2017, 20:34
Flying a GA aircraft in Thailand with a licence is hard to impossible. Check out Mike Peare who is the expert there. A UK flying instructor from Vancouver who has more experience than anyone on Thai GA.

MP Aviation Site Map (http://www.mpaviation.com/site.htm)

nwasdriver99
27th Mar 2018, 01:23
Hello Flyerr,

I am finishing my CFI and am looking at relocating to Thailand/Philippines within the next year. Can you tell me how the CFI job market is in Thailand? I would also be interested in hearing about any other details that may be easily overlooked when operating in another country.

Drewflies
21st Jan 2019, 10:09
All,

6) Fly.

My name is Drew Harrison and I am looking to get sponsorship through a airline or club for this license valiadation process. I heard it is easier this way as you only need to do the 20 question air law exam then doing the whole conversion with four exams and a flight test if you opt to do it on your own. I am thinking about doing it this year, 2019. Would you happen to know if it is still the same process now with just the one air law exam?

Would greatly appreciate it if you could send any relevant information to my email address, [email protected]

Thanks,
Drew Harrison

YFloyd
23rd Jan 2019, 10:17
My name is Drew Harrison and I am looking to get sponsorship through a airline or club for this license valiadation process. I heard it is easier this way as you only need to do the 20 question air law exam then doing the whole conversion with four exams and a flight test if you opt to do it on your own. I am thinking about doing it this year, 2019. Would you happen to know if it is still the same process now with just the one air law exam?

Would greatly appreciate it if you could send any relevant information to my email address, [email protected]

Thanks,
Drew Harrison
Drew,

Regarding the CAAT validation test, you should be aware that it has 2 sections (Air Law and HR) of 20 questions and you need to obtain 14 for each in order to pass. Everyone passes the 20 Air Law questions the first time, it is not difficult at all. The 20 Human Factors questions are more tricky due to the wording (not great english). However, as it is multiple choice answers you can normally narrow down the 4 options to 2 and then it is not too difficult. Around 30% of pilots fail the HR side of the test the first time usually with a score of 12 or 13, but you can sit it again the next month.

Also, note that since the CAAT moved to their new HQ at Laksi the test is no longer conduct on computer with instant results. It is a paper test and results are usually issued after 1 week.