PDA

View Full Version : Man injured as pop-up toilet emerges from ground and throws a scooter at him

OFSO
30th Nov 2014, 07:30
A man in the Dutch city of Amsterdam has been injured after a pop-up public toilet sunk into the ground emerged unexpectedly.

The man was hit by a moped which was thrown up in the air as the so-called UriLift toilet suddenly rose up.

He is being treated in hospital for minor injuries.

The toilets are a feature of central areas of Amsterdam, emerging at night to deter people from urinating in the streets.

Witnesses nearby reported hearing a loud bang at the time of the accident.

One man tweeted an image of the aftermath, writing: "Literally just walked past this explosion about two minutes before. Feeling lucky."

It is not clear what caused the incident.

Results of an investigation are due after the weekend.

UniFoxOs
30th Nov 2014, 07:35
No Shit?

Nominate this thread for year's strangest thread title.

FullOppositeRudder
30th Nov 2014, 07:42
Man injured as pop-up toilet 'explodes' from the ground trapping him under flying scooter | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854303/Man-injured-pop-toilet-explodes-ground-trapping-flying-scooter.html)

Agreed, not even Peter Sellers could think this up :eek:

Effluent Man
30th Nov 2014, 07:52
A classmate constructed an IED from an old bicycle frame with the ends crimped and filled with gunpowder.He detonated it behind a public toilet bringing all the roof plaster down on a guy sitting on the bog.

SpringHeeledJack
30th Nov 2014, 07:52
As one wag said in the comments, "I wonder if it plays the theme tune from Thunderbirds as it rises up?" :} Interestingly Holland was one of the countries that did show this programme back in the day. I wonder what would have given the lifting motors such a power boost to send the pissoir flying up quickly ? Or maybe it went up slowly and then the scooter fell down from 7 feet up ?

SHJ

4mastacker
30th Nov 2014, 08:01
It would be a bigger shock for the duty drunk if he was using it and it decided to suddenly return to the "default" position. :eek:

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2014, 08:15
When he said he wanted "something to go on", he didn't mean that sort of "something to go on" to go on him instead. No doubt he didn't expect to go to hospital, either.

Takan Inchovit
30th Nov 2014, 08:39
Welcome to Amsterdam, friendly people and our toilets will blow you away!

Tankertrashnav
30th Nov 2014, 08:52
Why do they need to pee in the streets anyway?

I thought that's what all those canals were for!

OFSO
30th Nov 2014, 09:04
In France and Germany they have those self-cleaning toilets that sanitize themselves after you leave. A colleague who had the drink taken once decided to remain in the toilet after having peed - he opened and shut the door simulating departure - he emerged sometime later very clean and very wet and - from the smell - very disinfected....

sitigeltfel
30th Nov 2014, 09:11
In France and Germany they have those self-cleaning toilets that sanitize themselves after you leave. A colleague who had the drink taken once decided to remain in the toilet after having peed - he opened and shut the door simulating departure - he emerged sometime later very clean and very wet and - from the smell - very disinfected....

Hmm....

They have sensors and weight switches to prevent that :hmm:

OFSO
30th Nov 2014, 10:01
My colleague probably hung from the top of the mirror, or something similar. He was VERY determined to find out how the toilet cleaned itself. And he did.

Lon More
30th Nov 2014, 10:36
maybe they have them at Catterick too

G-CPTN
30th Nov 2014, 16:47
According to the Dutch media, the injured man was an employee of the company contracted to service the toilet.

So a degree of horseplay?

ie not a random scooterist who just happened to be riding past.

"Let's see what happens if we raise it whilst I . . . "

G-CPTN
30th Nov 2014, 21:12
I think they had these 'appearing' urinals in Newcastle's Bigg Market a few years ago - no idea if they are still there (or whether they worked).

G-CPTN
30th Nov 2014, 21:32
8kIy-wEfUGU

Notice the guy on the scooter . . .

Solar
1st Dec 2014, 03:02
Would have thought that the top would be a more contrasting colour giving the elf & safety BS of today!

RJM
1st Dec 2014, 03:39
Why do they need to be hidden during the day?

sitigeltfel
1st Dec 2014, 04:02
Why do they need to be hidden during the day?

Their appearance and disappearance are linked to drinking hours. A municipal attempt to diminish ‘wildplassen’ – literally: ‘wild peeing’.

RJM
1st Dec 2014, 08:11
But surčly, as long as they're there during drinking hours,,,?

Unless logic and the EC are not compatible.

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2014, 11:50
Would have thought that the top would be a more contrasting colour giving the elf & safety BS of today!
I don't think their raising and lowering is automatic - thus the presence of the guy on the scooter.

Manhole (or inspection chamber) covers are not contrasting colours.

Carry0nLuggage
1st Dec 2014, 22:12
It really does need some stirring theme music though. Thunderbirds theme from choice. :ok:

Are we sure they clean it though and don't just rinse it in an extension of the canal under the pavement? :E

Solar
2nd Dec 2014, 04:16
Thanks CPTN, I assumed they were automatic.