PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo ?.....pah !..the UK is doomed !

Krystal n chips
28th Nov 2014, 04:55
It would seem the UK is destined to become an Arctic wilderness..... in days.....

Might be worth putting a sign up at ports and airports "Abandon hope all ye who enter here ".....with a large banner saying "Sponsored by the Daily Express"...

UK weather: Britain to FREEZE OVER as arctic December will bring snowstorms and blizzards | Nature | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/540052/UK-weather-December-forecast-heavy-snow-winter-freeze)

The bit about the worst winter in history would make 1947 ( not around at the time ) and 1963 ( freezing to death in wellies and short trousers at school ) almost sub-tropical by comparison.

However, before panic buying and a mass exodus commences, it's worth noting the source of this alarmist piece is.... the Excess....thus any factual content would be setting a precedent.

Amusing to read however.....and on a par with all the best " Seconds from disaster!!..... jet plunge terror as plane falls from sky ! " .

crewmeal
28th Nov 2014, 05:34
Usually when the Daily Express forecast the opposite of what they print happens. We were told November would be hit by 'Arctic' weather and the temp didn't really dip below 5c.

The resulting weak jet stream, which usually holds the cold at bay over the North Pole, will give way to a blast of freezing air which will sweep across the UK.

Experts expect this by the middle of November with snowstorms and numbing Arctic gales set to wreak havoc at airports and on the countryís transport systems.

Pinky the pilot
28th Nov 2014, 06:16
Most interesting!:hmm: However, I seem to remember reading in the Australian newspaper quite some time ago that someone had said that due to global warming Britain will never see snow again?

Was that statement really made and if so, what now of the person who said it?

Like the clown out here who said that the reservoirs would never fill again.:rolleyes:

Effluent Man
28th Nov 2014, 06:57
Anyone recall last year's Express headline?I do because MrsEM brought F in Law's copy home from a visit and I took the p out of said publication. "Coldest winter in living memory" or some such shite.I wonder if they just keep it for each year on the basis they will get lucky once.

Still it provides a bit of a thrill for the Old Timers thinking they might get cut off from their supply of Werther's Originals.

November 2014 - currently 2 degrees C above long term average.

beamer
28th Nov 2014, 07:01
The Daily Express is published with a 'shock horror' headline everyday. Nobody takes it seriously........ever !

sitigeltfel
28th Nov 2014, 07:07
A couple of rules of thumb..

Met man says cold snap on the way - look out your shorts.
Met man predicts heatwave - keep a ski jacket handy.

;)

Effluent Man
28th Nov 2014, 07:10
The official forecasts are remarkably accurate these days.I'm not convinced that it wil ever be possible to accurately forecast more than a week ahead there are too many variables.

Capetonian
28th Nov 2014, 07:41
I appreciate that forecasting the weather can never be completely accurate, particularly when the combination ocean and mountains are involved, but some of the forecasts are so wide open to various interpretations as to be meaningless and useless.

SWMBO is a weather forecast addict, whenever we go somewhere she'll look at the forecast and then pack accordingly, on the basis that it's going to rain on Monday, be colder on Tuesday, sunny with showers on Wednesday, hot on Thursday. Of course that rain might just turn to snow ......... I wonder if this is why women end up with 30 kilos of baggage for a trip for which a man would need 10.

Solar
28th Nov 2014, 08:52
Mrs Solar has forecasting down to a tee.
If I say it's lovely morning, her reply is usually one of the following.
It'll not last.
It looks like rain.
Then at an unspecified time later or unspecified location when the weather changes.
I told it would rain/change.

Bit like saying "it'll rain or get dark before morning".

Having said that she can be as close as some of the paid forecasters.

Seriously I would say there is a vast improvement over previous years if you take into account the generalizations and your own locality.

mad_jock
28th Nov 2014, 10:15
I think Beagles term "weather guessers" has a certain amount of truth as well as top comedy.

Personally I think the Aviation forecasts have got worse in the last ten years. You are better most of the time looking what the METAR was the previous year on the same date to see what's going to happen.

Blacksheep
28th Nov 2014, 10:28
I'm not worried about being cut off from supplies of Werthers Old Originals. They're only a modern marketing invention. In fact their TV advert makes me cringe. What bothers me is the prospect of a shortage of Humbugs. Bah!

Yamagata ken
28th Nov 2014, 10:49
Pinky the pilot

In March 2000 According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become 'a very rare and exciting event'.
'Children just aren't going to know what snow is' he said.Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html)

Effluent Man
28th Nov 2014, 10:57
Maybe going a bit too far.It's all down to wind direction.On the East Coast if the wind is anywhere between N and E we tend to get snow between NW and N and we tend not to as it falls over other parts. Winds between N and E were virtually non existent last winter.

OFSO
28th Nov 2014, 11:48
According to measurements of the falling "output" of the sun, in a few years they will be nothing else but snow cover in Europe down to roughly the level of the Pyrannees.

Incidently the wild boar have already moved down to warmer latitudes, i.e. outside my front gate.

G&T ice n slice
28th Nov 2014, 11:53
Incidently the wild boar have already moved down to warmer latitudes, i.e. outside my front gate.

Bloody wild boar coming over here taking our jobs, the benefits scroungers that they are .. (con. page 94)

Dont Hang Up
28th Nov 2014, 13:59
I know that rags like the Daily Express are loathed to let facts get in the way of a good story, but this is what the Met Office is actually saying for the UK...

UK Outlook for Saturday 13 Dec 2014 to Saturday 27 Dec 2014:
There is no strong signal in weather patterns during this period. However, the most likely scenario is a trend towards more unsettled and, at times, windy weather, especially in western parts of the UK, with eastern parts seeing the best of any dry weather. Temperatures are generally expected to be around average for the time of year. There is a chance of some overnight and morning frost and fog in places. There is also a chance of some snow on higher ground in the north.

Updated at: 1414 on Fri 28 Nov 2014

rgbrock1
28th Nov 2014, 14:08
Actually I find the Farmer's Almanac usually being quite accurate as far as long-range weather forecasts are concerned. That, and the activity of squirrels around the August and September time frame.

er340790
28th Nov 2014, 14:24
OH, GIVE OVER!!! :}

Yesterday at 7am it was -27.5c here. Wind-chill -35c. Woke up, had a coffee, put the dog out, then drove the wife to the airport...

Kids went to school on the bus, I drove to work, had more coffee...

At night we all went home again...

The point? LIFE GOES ON!!! All perfectly normal and as long as your council buys some big ploughs to stick on the front of their vehicles, you barely notice the difference.

Even the heating bills (gas) are barely any higher than the Summer air-con bills (elec).

You'll all be OK!!!!! I promise.

Krystal n chips
28th Nov 2014, 16:19
Ah, yes, herein lies a point......erm, you are blissfully unaware that, the very logical point you make.....

All perfectly normal and as long as your council buys some big ploughs to stick on the front of their vehicles, you barely notice the difference

.....doesn't generally apply to snow clearing in the UK.

Certain parts, like Scotland / Wales, yes.....anywhere else, anything over about 1mm generally reduces the UK to a standstill and brings out the very best in "fearless.....did you get my best profile in ?.....reporting"....as well as providing rags like the Excess with even more histrionics for the readers to swallow as being facts.

Snow can be entertaining however....especially when watching the drivers...a loose term used to describe the individual seated in the driving seat....of 4 x 4 ( mwah, mwah ) vehicles who have never quite understood what 4 x 4 means and what those funny selector thingys do.

Snow in London and the South East is usually a reason for declaring Armageddon has arrived.....and is guaranteed to fill a BBC news broadcast of 30mins.....for about 29mins 30secs.

Tankertrashnav
28th Nov 2014, 16:25
Meanwhile in Brisbane, where two weeks ago fruit bats were dying of dehydration and heat exhaustion I see the city is having a big clear-up after an intense storm which produced damage from hailstones and flooding.

Wish I lived in "the lucky country"!

Hope you remembered to let the dog back in er340790 ;)

Dushan
28th Nov 2014, 16:42
You'll all be OK!!!!! I promise.

I don't think they will.

I once missed a LHR-YYZ flight because my BA VIE-LHR flight was delayed 4 hours due to 2cm of snow, in January, at LHR.

Krystal n chips
28th Nov 2014, 16:47
I once missed a LHR-YYZ flight because my BA VIE-LHR flight was delayed 4 hours due to 2cm of snow, in January, at LHR

So does that count as one of your three visits to the UK then ?

I will concede you have a point however.

rgbrock1
28th Nov 2014, 16:50
K&C wrote:

and is guaranteed to fill a BBC news broadcast of 30mins.....for about 29mins 30secs.

So what are the missing 30 secs. filled with then? :}:E

Dushan
28th Nov 2014, 16:58
I once missed a LHR-YYZ flight because my BA VIE-LHR flight was delayed 4 hours due to 2cm of snow, in January, at LHR

So does that count as one of your three visits to the UK then ?

I will concede you have a point however.

No it does not. I don't count that one as I was at the airport, took a shuttle to the hotel, nearby, and next morning went back to the airport. Could have been almost anywhere in the world.

G&T ice n slice
28th Nov 2014, 18:46
Quote: Incidently the wild boar have already moved down to warmer latitudes, i.e. outside my front gate.

Bloody wild boar coming over here taking our jobs, the benefits scroungers that they are .. (con. page 94)

And they make a complete mess and leave everywhere completely ruined :
A children's playground has been left looking like a 'battleground' after wild boar began grazing on the land.

The animals have repeatedly churned up the ground and left the site unsafe and dangerously uneven.

Children playground left looking like battleground after wild boar grazed on the land* | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2853349/Children-playground-left-looking-like-battleground-wild-boar-grazed-land.html)

We need to round them all up & send them back where they came from. String 'em all up, it's the only language they understand.

I 'ad that Adolf chap in the back of me cab once, now there was a geezer who (cont'd page 94)

reynoldsno1
30th Nov 2014, 23:35
Not only the UK, the sky is falling on heads in Thailand as well

he Chiang Maiís Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Centre has declared five districts of the province disaster-affected zone due to cold weather.
The temperature in Om Koy, Mae Chaem, Kalayaniwattana, Wiang Hang and Fang districts has falled below 15 degree Celsius for three consecutive days prompting the centre to declare them disaster-affected area eligible to public disaster fund to help the affected residents.

Having spent a number of winters in the area, I can assure readers that these temperatures are absolutely normal for the time of the year ...:hmm: