PDA

View Full Version : Vale Phil Hughes

TWT
27th Nov 2014, 05:37
BBC Sport - Phil Hughes: Australian batsman dies, aged 25 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30219440)

Very unlucky to have the worst happen as a result of playing cricket.

mikedreamer787
27th Nov 2014, 06:06
Shit. Heard about his injury at the SCG on
the telly and was wheeled off to the hossy.

Din't know it was fatal. Ball had struck just
below the left ear I think.

Krystal n chips
27th Nov 2014, 06:40
A tragic and freak accident it seems.

Given the amount of protection now worn by players, in contrast to the past when there was wasn't any, except the batsmans judgement, even these precautions could not prevent the equivalent of the holes in the cheese lining up.

The loss of a very good cricketer will be mourned by many who love the game.

surely not
27th Nov 2014, 07:36
A very sad loss of a young cricketer who looked to be about to earn a recall to the Australian Test team. One misjudgement and his life is taken away.

I also wish well to the chap who bowled the ball. He will now forever be remembered for his part. He did nothing wrong, a fast bouncer is just part of the game and it is up to the batsman to either get out of the way or to take it on. I hope that this young lad goes on to have a successful career in cricket and perhaps by doing so the loss of Phil Hughes can be balanced out.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Nov 2014, 07:44
Really sorry to hear that. Potentially a great career ahead of him.:(

Nick Riviera
27th Nov 2014, 07:56
Very sad news, an absolute tragedy. My thoughts go out to the family of this talented young man. By all accounts he was a very popular member of the global cricket family and his time at the crease has ended far too early. A reminder that cricket, with all its protection, can still be a dangerous game.

I also want to spare a thought for Sean Abbott. This was a dreadful accident with no blame on his part and I hope it does not affect him too much. He must be feeling awful right now.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Nov 2014, 08:02
When you think how delicate the human head is, especially the area around the ear, it's truly amazing that there aren't more injuries such as this, especially so in contact sports. I was shocked when PH went down after being hit by a fast ball, especially due to him wearing his hat/helmet, but a friend who's very into his cricket said that there has been a trend lately for players to wear slightly lighter helmets that are more tolerable during play, but offer less protection.

A freak accident, horrible for all involved, none more so than Phil Hughes. RIP

SHJ

TWT
27th Nov 2014, 08:13
Hughes killed by freak injury (http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/hughes-killed-by-freak-injury-20141127-3lcxk.html)

After being hit in the neck by a bouncer, Hughes suffered a vertebral artery dissection, a tear to the artery which has similar symptoms to strangulation and strokes.
"Subarachnoid haemorrhage is the medical term for it and it is extremely rare," Dr Brukner said.
"If you look in the literature there is only about 100 cases ever reported so this is incredibly rare with only one previous case ever reported as the result of a cricket ball."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subarachnoid_hemorrhage

Buster Hyman
27th Nov 2014, 08:49
Gutted listening to the Press Confrence on the way home tonight. Surprised by my own reaction in that I wasn't a huge fan of his but, he had the world at his feet & every opportunity to go on & have a brilliant career.

Gutted. :(

Worrals in the wilds
27th Nov 2014, 10:21
Awful news :{. The whole country was praying for a miracle recovery, but it didn't happen.
I've always thought of cricket as a comparatively safe sport (particularly when compared to rugby) but I guess it isn't. Allan Border was on the telly tonight talking about cricket before and after the helmets, and he said that they'd all been very lucky.
I also feel very sorry for the bowler; the poor bloke must feel terrible.

CoodaShooda
27th Nov 2014, 10:24
Likewise Buster. From the description of events, I did not hold out much hope from the start but it still hurt when confirmation came through.

Met him briefly when he was in Darwin earlier this year. A genuinely nice guy. :{

Springheeledjack
From the photo, the ball hit just below the edge of the helmet, so there was no protection.

Worrals
I played 43 seasons of cricket, without wearing a helmet or all the bodyarmour that's now available. Copped a few bruises, which faded but either used the bat or got out of the way. I can count on one hand the number of batsmen I saw get hit on the head in that time, three appeared to be seriously hurt but were up and around again for the next week's match. My only serious injury was breaking my arm when I fell over in my 42nd season.

I also played 3 seasons of junior AFL and collected 2 displaced vertebrae, concussion, knee ligament problems and a sprained arm, apart from the expected weekly bruising.

Every sport has its risks and what happened to Phil Hughes is tragic reminder of that. But cricket is still a comparatively safe game when played properly.
(Personally, I believe that having a helmet encourages the batsman to keep his head in line with the ball, rather than move inside the line and increases the risk of being hit and potentially injured. But I'm a dinosaur. )

I too feel deeply sorry for Sean Abbott and wonder what the impact will be on the other guys who were out there, such as new dad, Dave Warner.

Worrals in the wilds
27th Nov 2014, 10:27
The papers are saying that the newest helmets do protect that area, but they're bulky and uncomfortable.
The story of PPE (personal protective equipment, for those who don't wear fetching yellow outfits to work:}). Generally a PITA, but occasionally it can save you :sad:.
And no, I'm not blaming the victim; he was wearing an approved helmet. However, in light of this maybe the approved helmet design needs to be reassessed.

Capetonian
27th Nov 2014, 10:29
Very sad that a young life is taken in this way. I am no follower of sport but I have two good friends who are keen semi-pro cricketers and it has always struck me (pun not really intended) when I was forced to play cricket at school how dangerous that hard and fast ball is.

Just listening to a phone-in about this and someone is saying that the design of the helmets needs to be looked at.

One of my Aussie friends is devastated as he knew Phil Hughes.

Buster Hyman
27th Nov 2014, 12:57
And no, I'm not blaming the victim; he was wearing an approved helmet. However, in light of this maybe the approved helmet design needs to be reassessed.
He was wearing a slightly older design...still up to standard, but the later ones have added protection in that vicinity.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Nov 2014, 13:24
Whilst speaking to my cricket crazy friend today he made mention that with the introduction of not bowling at the wicket exclusively the chances of being caught (in all senses) by the bowler/ball increased and then helmets were introduced with other padded clothing. Would it make any sense for the professional game if helmets were banned and then being aware of what might happen, the bowling would revert to older times where such injuries were relatively rare ? Or is it once through the door, things can never revert to previous ways ?

SHJ

CoodaShooda
27th Nov 2014, 13:36
SHJ

Leg theory predates helmets by 50 years. Google Bodyline
Bowling for a catch rather than at the stumps has been part of the game since the laws were first written.

Tony Greig introduced the helmet in response to having to deal with Lillee, Thomson and the West Indian pace attack. Smart man.

but like all good ideas, they are not perfect and can result in unforeseen consequences.

I disagree with Border about the pre-helmet players being lucky. They simply had a different technique.

er340790
27th Nov 2014, 14:33
Tragic.

One commentator noted that, before helmets were introduced, batsmen would move away from 'dangerous' deliveries, purely out of self-preservation. The helmet does tend to give one the confidence to stay put and very occasionally, as in this case, the consequences of that can be fatal.

I've noticed the same thing riding my snowmachines. Last year my wife bought me a Kevlar-lined jacket and chest protector designed to reduce serious injuries from fallen tree branches etc. Combined with the full-face helmet, it does tend to give one a feeling of invulnerability. Rather than backing-off I found I was more gung-ho than before and would "let the kit take the hit". I too found it doesn't always work out that way. Fortunately the consequences were only heavy bruises and damaged pride. :sad: Lesson learnt.

CISTRS
27th Nov 2014, 15:09
Desperately sorry about this tragedy, BUT very cynical about the OTT coverage on BBC World Service TV by presenters who don't even understand the sport. Respect...

cockney steve
27th Nov 2014, 15:36
I played cricket at school.....ONCE !
I told the sports/ PE teacher that there was no chance of me hitting a cannonball with a narrow billet of wood which i could barely swing, there was even less chance of me propelling said projectile in the right direction, at the right pace to give anything approaching a challenge to the club-wielding defendant and I was not going to risk my glasses or body by standing in the line of fire, or attempting to catch the cannonball that someone had managed to club skywards in my general direction..

I think it was mutually agreed I would be 13 Th.man? imposed arbitrarily on some team,but don't ever recollect "playing" again.

Same with Rugby, at another school....I declined to dive at a pair of flailing, studded boots in order to "tackle" another combatant. Without glasses, I couldn't see adequately to be other than a mobile obstruction.

After a few absences, ISTR, I spent the "lesson" jogging round the field perimeter.

I am not the sporty type.

Tinstaafl
29th Nov 2014, 04:21
C.Steve, I had a simpler solution: I flat out refused to participate any of our PE teachers' activities (PE didn't count towards high school graduation so the subject was entirely irrelevant to me). I told him & her I wasn't interested in their silly games and would rather read a book. I'd get placed on the field/court/pitch/whatever, blithely ignore any ball that came my way (in any sport that involved a ball), they'd get pissed off & send me to the headmaster - who would then send me to the library. Winner!

As for jogging, running or any athletic activity: Same thing. PE was a mandatory subject but didn't count towards graduation. So, unless it was an activity that interested me eg archery, snooker, roller skating etc, I declined to participate - and there was nothing they could do. They taught a subject that didn't count towards graduating from HS so they lacked any leverage to make me play. It drove them nuts! Pissed them off even more when I made my low opinion of their subject clear.

To this day I still loathe any sport that involves chasing a ball (or equivalent) around a paddock.

G-CPTN
29th Nov 2014, 18:45
BBC News - Israeli cricket umpire killed by ball (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30260842)

Capetonian
29th Nov 2014, 18:53
Tinstaafl (http://www.pprune.org/members/4150-tinstaafl) Glad to see someone else has the same approach to, and loathing for, sports as I did. I used to do the same as you, and either got sent to the library where I did my homework, or better still, home. In summer, I was threatened with being sent to a nearby reservoir to go sailing. I told them I hated, and was frightened of, water, knowing that would ensure that the sadistic sports master and my even more sadistic housemaster would send me sailing, which I absolutely loved!

mikedreamer787
30th Nov 2014, 01:28
Hey Tinny! Long time no see mate! :ok:

Where ya been the past million years?

Krystal n chips
30th Nov 2014, 13:05
To paraphrase Mr Sutherland below....it's the little things that say so much.

A very simple, but touching decision.

BBC Sport - Phillip Hughes 63 not out forever, says Cricket Australia (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30267168)

G-CPTN
30th Nov 2014, 13:59
I realise that Hughes' score was 63 at the time of his demise, but what is the significance of the 64?

Edited to add:-
Hughes' International one-day number.

Poignant that he didn't reach 64 . . .

The Gods must have had some influence.

cockney steve
30th Nov 2014, 16:08
Archery? Sailing?Roller-skating, ? Snooker?.....LOOKSHURRY.....We 'ad it TOOF.

Had anything like that , been ontheir Curriculum, I'd have joined in...but it was football, Cricket, Rugby, Running......the only time you got to throw a Javelin, or "Put" a Shot, was when "Sports Day approached......one try at hurling this foreign object, and that's yer lot, mate, non-starter in the Sports gene-pool.

They knew I'd be happier in a Library, Language-class or workshop, so I was made to suffer.

Even when weather forced us into the gymnasium, the wall-bars and ropes to the ceiling ,were out of bounds ( School was abandoned at 15, and I was introduced to Rock-Climbing a few years later.)
There was only one other lad I knew of, who had a similar aversion to "sport" during the whole of my secondary education.
I'm heartened to see others who feel the same way.....incidentally, I'd have LOVED target-shooting.....having worked a season on the "20 shots a bob" rifle-range, I was a pretty good marksman, before I was 10.:cool:

G-CPTN
30th Nov 2014, 16:48
As a conscientious objector towards rugby-football (after breaking a metatarsal whilst tackling 'low' the games master as directed) I was relegated to 'cross-country running' as a much-hated punishment inflicted on those who for whatever reason were unable or unwilling to play the game.

It didn't take me long to work out that if I actually ran around the route (instead of walking/hiding/smoking like the majority of the also-rans), I got first-dibs on the communal hot baths before they were sullied by the mud-caked players.

What's more I actually got quite adept at 'running' and found myself selected for the county team, enjoying trips away to events.

I attempted to maintain my running activity at university, but found myself greatly outclassed by a guy called Herb Elliott and his ilk. :ugh:

Fliegenmong
3rd Dec 2014, 10:12
but found myself greatly outclassed by a guy called Herb Elliott

Well...yeah....I guess you would be............

Fliegenmong
3rd Dec 2014, 10:29
Talking of batting without a helmet.....remember the 'Super Cat', no helmet, but spectacles and a Sun hat! :ok: ...Viv and Clive...legends of the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pts7xLRQB00