PDA

View Full Version : Whisky Auction - The Macallan BAE bottlings

pzu
26th Nov 2014, 16:03
Whisky Auction - The Macallan BAE bottlings

MODS - Whilst I am a Whisky collector, this post is for general interest only, I have no interest in these offerings (I can't afford Macallan!!!) :ugh:

Currently on offer at the Whisky Auctioneer

Macallan 12 Year Old British Aerospace ATP Advanced turbo | Whisky Auctioneer | Scotch Whisky Auctions | Online Whisky Auction (http://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/lot/005123/macallan-12-year-old-british-aerospace-atp-advanced-turbo)

Macallan 12 Year Old British Aerospace BAe Jetstream | Whisky Auctioneer | Scotch Whisky Auctions | Online Whisky Auction (http://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/lot/005122/macallan-12-year-old-british-aerospace-bae-jetstream)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

OFSO
26th Nov 2014, 16:32
Holy cow, I'd want a ride in the aircraft for that price.

Returning to more reasonably-priced malts, my local supermarket has Ardbeg for €44. Last week at Gatwick it was on sale at fifty five pounds duty-free: that's €69 at last week's sterling/euro exchange rate. Same age whiskey, same bottle as far as I can remember.

Capetonian
26th Nov 2014, 16:40
Same age whiskey, same bottle as far as I can remember. Check the ABV percentage. Often the supermarket ones are 40% and the (so-called) duty free are 43 or 45%.

I've just checked one of my Ardbegs and it's 49.9%.

barry lloyd
26th Nov 2014, 16:57
I've got a glass from the first flight of the ATP, but I don't think I'll be paying that sort of money for the stuff to put in it!

OFSO
26th Nov 2014, 17:04
This one is 46%. Purchased in Montserrat Hipermarket, not unknown to your goodself !

Capetonian
26th Nov 2014, 17:20
In that case, I shall soon be heading that way, credit card in hand!

OFSO
26th Nov 2014, 17:23
Try to pick a stronger trolley this time, dear boy.

Dash8driver1312
26th Nov 2014, 17:39
I ca make a round trip to Nassau and get some good local rum and STILL have change left over for those prices...

Mechta
26th Nov 2014, 18:09
pzu, I contacted a former work colleague who was at BAe Woodford at the time. He said that he remembered these and their being brought out after evening meals whenever guests were being entertained.

To me the description is somewhat misleading, as it infers there were only two bottles produced, whereas the fact is the auctioneer only had two bottles to sell. How many are still out there is anybody's guess.

Maybe a wanted ad on Manchester Gumtree might unearth some more?

OFSO
26th Nov 2014, 18:53
I have decided to spend some of my vast fortunes sending every member of JB a bottle of ten-year-old Ardbeg this Christmas.

Of course I'm not paying also the postage, so I'd be grateful if you would all PM me with details of your bank, account holder's name, account number, expiry date, issue number (where applicable) and three digit security code which you will find on the rear. The PIN number associated with the account would also be useful in expediting delivery (which NOT be by Royal Mail I might add).

galaxy flyer
26th Nov 2014, 19:06
OFSO,

Unaware you relocated to Nigeria, better scamming there? :}

GF

Capetonian
26th Nov 2014, 19:18
I have decided to spend some of my vast fortunes sending every member of JB a bottle of ten-year-old Ardbeg this Christmas.How very gentlemanly of you, but from you we would expect nothing less. However, mine's the 17 year old, please. Last seen in Edinburgh on 31 May for 600.

Rossian
26th Nov 2014, 19:26
.....in a restaurant in Brindisi. After dinner, chatting with the owner and his brother (who owned the delicatessen above at street level) it transpired that they had each paid 10000 for one bottle of whisky in an auction at Sothebys - and had then drunk them!! They were proud to show the empty bottles in amongst the other whiskies they kept on a dedicated drinks trolley.

Brave, I thought, as well as stupid; but they argued that the whisky was meant to be drunk. Not kept and then sold on later.

"Chapeau" as the Ffrench say (or should I say "respec' ")

The Ancient Mariner

Dushan
26th Nov 2014, 20:31
Where is con-pilot? Is he crying in his beer when he saw these prices?

Capetonian
26th Nov 2014, 20:37
they had each paid 10000 for one bottle of whisky in an auction at Sothebys - and had then drunk them!! I approve. I'm not sure that I'd pay that much for a bottle of whisky as I would be unable to tell the difference between that and what I typically buy for 60-100. I can certainly tell the difference between that and a 30 bottle.

I would never buy anything that was too expensive to use, drive, drink, eat, or f..... well, let's end there.

barry lloyd
26th Nov 2014, 21:44
pzu, I contacted a former work colleague who was at BAe Woodford at the time. He said that he remembered these and their being brought out after evening meals whenever guests were being entertained.

To me the description is somewhat misleading, as it infers there were only two bottles produced, whereas the fact is the auctioneer only had two bottles to sell. How many are still out there is anybody's guess.

As an ex-Woodford employee, I would agree on both counts.