PDA

View Full Version : Retainers

The Flying Stool
26th Nov 2014, 12:06
Hi guys,

Could anybody give me any guidance on retainers for UK based Flight Instructors? I'm aware that the current hourly rate for an Fi is around £15-£25 per hour but I know of one school that pays a retainer in addition to the flight pay. I'm unable to find any further information however. Can anybody shed and light on the going rate?

Thanks

portsharbourflyer
29th Nov 2014, 10:38
I would be very surprised if any one is paying more than a £30 a day retainer. And to my knowledge very few schools at the PPL level pay any retainer these days.

When I did instruct full time I did get a 50 a day retainer, but that was some time back and exceptionally good at the time. It is noted that school also went out of business some time back as well.

RTN11
29th Nov 2014, 16:48
I've worked at several schools.

Most offer no retainer

One offered a £15 retainer, but then a lower hourly rate, so if you flew more than 2 hours a day you were better off on their non-retainer hourly rate

And one school I worked for was simply hourly rate, but if you didn't manage at least 40 hours a month they'd still pay you as if you had, so it really helped you budget in the winter months when you might only get 20-30 hours due to the weather. It took the pressure off to fly in literally anything you could just to earn some money.

Esperanza
1st Dec 2014, 10:23
I get a £30 retainer, £20 per hour flying and £15 per hour for ground school.
I had to really search around for my current job. When I last looked in 2004 so many schools were offering similar pay to what I was getting as an AFI in the mid-1990s.