PDA

View Full Version : The Final House Move!

TomJoad
25th Nov 2014, 18:10
Well that's us, house move number 11 done and hopefully the last. Left the Kingdom and now in auld reekie, Edinburgh. Didn't really want to go, Fife is a great place to raise a family, but now closer to the university and my wife's job recently moved to the city as well. So sat amidst all the boxes and looking back at our other moves, I'm now wondering if this is it. So how many moves and was your final move really the final move, what was the worst and most memorable?

Now which box has the kettle in it:p

Tom

rgbrock1
25th Nov 2014, 18:45
Congrats TomJoad. Hopefully your last move but this move seems to be in a rather pleasant place. Or at least from what I remember of it anyway.

Good luck in your new home. :ok:

G-CPTN
25th Nov 2014, 23:06
Before you can be certain that your current move is your last, you have to know whether you will remain together with your current partner and also remain in good health.

Just saying.

I've had at least three 'final moves'.

Oh and not remaining employed is a 'killer', too . . .

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Nov 2014, 23:24
Firstly, congrats and may I wish you the best with the above two points!

Moves - 47 (had to list them for Canadian emigration)

Best - hmm...easiest was #2 IOT Mess to #1 IOT mess. 45 mins with all my possessions in a handcart.
biggest change in positive environment was a move to the Yorkshire Dales. This was the view from the end of the driveway
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/The_Thwaite_Arms_at_Horsehouse.jpg/220px-The_Thwaite_Arms_at_Horsehouse.jpg
Closing time? Nope, never heard of it. What's that? ;)

Worst
All the disastrous ones had friends/family to help. Driving a crappy transit through the snow doing 'hot' refuels as it wouldn't idle springs to mind. Still, lots of wine/beer afterwards and a story to tell - no harm done.
Re-immigrated to UK on a boat from Australia in 1968, aged 6. Got chicken pox.

Shouldn't think too many people catch and recover from an infectious disease during a move.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Nov 2014, 06:25
Oh and not remaining employed is a 'killer', too . . .

Eggsakerly, wish I had a job, at least I'd get one day off a week.

ian16th
26th Nov 2014, 11:33
F3
Moves - 47 (had to list them for Canadian emigration)Immigration people ask funny questions, and then even funnier ones because of the answers!

I told the SA lot that I had 'resided' in France 1957/8, this caused a 'what for?' response and when I explained that I was stationed at BA 125 Istres by the RAF they asked more bl**dy questions.

TJ, I wish you well in your 'final' abode.

Groundgripper
26th Nov 2014, 15:05
Now which box has the kettle in it

That was you're first (and hopefully last) mistake - never pack the kettle, always take it with you by hand!

Good luck in your new home and hope it will be the last move...until the next one anyway.:E

The worst move was probably the first one when Mrs GG and I had to move out of our first house, which we'd only just bought and were still getting used to, because I'd been made redundant in Derby, and could move to London. All the others were by choice.

I've only moved five times (plus once by proxy when my parents moved while I was at university - and yes, they did leave me a forwarding address:p) usually upsizing until the last one, nearly six years ago, when we left the six bedroomed victorian semi we'd been in for over 22 years and moved into a two bedroomed 1971 bungalow. This was not so much downsizing as imploding, and we then spent the next six months re-doing the kitchen, bathroom and both bedrooms in turn.

Still, it's all very convenient and I don't miss stairs a bit; the only trouble is that my wife assumes that because the house is so small I can hear her wherever she is from where I am, which is not necessarily the case.:ugh:

I think the medical term is selective deafness.:E

TomJoad
26th Nov 2014, 18:12
the only trouble is that my wife assumes that because the house is so small I can hear her wherever she is from where I am, which is not necessarily the case.:ugh:

I think the medical term is selective deafness.:E

Groundgripper Love it, don't worry I get that at times as well - the kids appear to think that if they mumble from any room in the house I should not only hear but of course understand them!

Thanks for all the good wishes folks for our new home, looking forward to settling in, wood burner commissioned now so we will be cosy for the winter. Edinburgh is indeed still a fine place rgbrock, although in my heart it will never better Glasgow;)

F3
Best - hmm...easiest was #2 IOT Mess to #1 IOT mess. 45 mins with all my possessions in a handcart.
biggest change in positive environment was a move to the Yorkshire Dales. This was the view from the end of the driveway

:D:D:D Yes just a short walk and what an improvement on accommodation - more importantly it suggested you may also have a longer term tenancy on the cards.:) I still look back and laugh at the thought of the 22 year old me on the train from Glasgow with my ironing board and all my worldly possessions.:p

47 moves, you deserve some kind of medal. But why on earth did you leave the Yorkshire Dales that looked like heaven - pub was a bonus;)

Staying healthy - I'll do my best, staying married - I hope should be as certain as it ever can. The Boss (Springsteen) sung about his "beautiful reward" and I often think fate dealt me exactly that with my wife and girls - I am a happy man and grateful for it. My family are everything to me and I know they put up with a lot, especially the Boss that really matters - bless them - don't they always:p

Anyway - here's to home, wherever it may be. Cheers folks:ok:

Tom

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Nov 2014, 18:19
But why on earth did you leave the Yorkshire Dales

Was in the Mob - got posted to the (alleged) delights of South Lincolnshire.

Union Jack
26th Nov 2014, 18:32
Edinburgh is indeed still a fine place rgbrock, although in my heart it will never better Glasgow -TJ

Shades of "There's more fun to be had at a funeral in Glasgow than at a wedding in Edinburgh" and, of course, with the missing kettle in mind, "You'll have had your tea?"!:D

Wishing you well in your new home - and don't go upsetting wee Nicola!

Jack
(Father from Glasgow, Mother from Edinburgh, and Granny from the East Neuk:ok:)

rgbrock1
26th Nov 2014, 18:33
Fox3 wrote:

Was in the Mob

The Mob? :eek::eek::eek:

Does your real, non-PPRuNe, name end in a vowel as well? Do you also own a garbage collection "company"?

Fox3, is that you?

http://cache.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/907394-bigthumbnail.jpg

TomJoad
26th Nov 2014, 19:13
[B]"You'll have had your tea?"!:D

Wishing you well in your new home - and don't go upsetting wee Nicola!

Aye ma tea's been oot many a time:p.

rgb, you better check under your pillow tonight, there may be a horse's head, minus the rest of the horse:p F3 was of course a graduate of Sleaford College of Knowledge. I bet the desk officer swore blind to you F3 that each move offered a lovely location with excellent MQs. They had a way of lying, must have done a course in it. Must admit, it was the never ending posting cycle, and all the uncertainty that drove me out - would do it all over again in a heartbeat though, but loving the settled life.

Tom

Capetonian
26th Nov 2014, 19:30
the only trouble is that my wife assumes that because the house is so small I can hear her wherever she is from where I am, which is not necessarily the caseI have told mine a million times that if she can't see my face when she babbles at me, I probably can't hear her, let alone understand.

Sometimes I'm in the bathroom, toilet flush running, electric shaver running or brushing my teeth, door slightly ajar, and she expects me to hear her. Or this evening, I'm slaving over a hot stove, extractor fan running, frying bacon and tomato for a sauce, and the oven fan on .......... and I'm expected to hear her.

All beside the point. TJ I trust you will be happy in your new abode, and we look forward to the piss-up!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Nov 2014, 19:36
Glossary of RAF Slang & Terminology (http://natureonline.com/37/56-ap4-glossary.html)

Mob: Royal Air Force (originally WW2 era)
I think it derived from Demobbed, therefore (to your average Erk's two brain cells) the RAF must have been The Mob.

Do you also own a garbage collection "company"?

..and a small Italian restaurant, where you can pay your dues to Luigi ;)

http://www.vanityfair.com/dam/culture/2009/03/godfather-family-0903-03.jpg

G-CPTN
26th Nov 2014, 21:35
Sleaford College of Knowledge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_College_Cranwell).

Loose rivets
26th Nov 2014, 23:30
That death scene above was really chilling. Really brought home what one's last few moments might be like.

Paraffin Budgie
27th Nov 2014, 11:13
And yet, if she doesn't hear you, it's your fault for not speaking loudly/clearly enough.

er340790
27th Nov 2014, 13:43
Have moved more times than I care to remember, but at least the rate is finally slowing down: last two have been 7 years in Holland and 10+ in Canada.

Moving is actually the easy part if you do the basics properly. It is making the decision to move that is the hardest part. Once the switch has been thrown inside your head, the mechanics of the process are pretty straight-forward to anyone with half-a-brain.

Our next moves will probably be easier too: more time at the cottage and holiday home in the sun... eventually we'll probably offload the main home... if the kids ever move out!!! :}