PDA

View Full Version : Different hiring methods?

O'Boy
31st May 2002, 21:47
Recently I moved from Europe to the States for family reasons. I was flying for a regional airline on a CRJ and have plenty of experience on this machine.This move was bad timing but necessary. My knowledge about the aviation industry here is growing but still limited. I have applied to most of the regionals who I know are hiring, but so far without any result.
Can somebody, who knows how the 'recruiting system' in the US works, explain to me the following question; how important is it to an airline if an applicant, experienced on the type of airplane in use with that airline, is showing his interest. (It seems to me that experience on the type of airplane the airline is using doesn't really matter.)I might have to change my way of applying and therefore I welcome any input!

Thanks! :)

McD
2nd Jun 2002, 14:16
O'Boy ...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "showing his interest". Do you mean "acting interested during the interview"? (Its'a genuine question...not taking the p*** or anything....)

Enthusiasm is always desired in an interview. It doesn't mean OTT-type enthusiasm, but just a genuine interest in the company, the position, a positive attitude towards learning, and similar concepts.

Generally speaking, however, what an airline looks at first is your total experience. This will include licenses, ratings and total hours flown (with a breakdown also of PIC, turbine, etc.). Any experience on their type is usually greatly appreciated, but often not required, because they can/will usually provide their own training on the given type.

Each company may have slightly different application requirements. And while you may meet their minimum requirements, they may have many, many, other applicants who have more total time, or more PIC time.

For instance, if you have 1200 hours Total time, with 500 hours on the specific type that they fly, you may not get chosen if your fellow applicants have 3000 hours Total time, (with lots of PIC/Turbine time), and no hours on the specific type.

"Timing" is also another factor. Unfortunately, in these difficult times, there are hundreds of furloughed ("made redundant, temporarily") pilots with thousands of hours and years of experience, looking for jobs. It's not to say that you can't find a job, but just realize that the competition is currently very high.

Hope this helps.

O'Boy
2nd Jun 2002, 17:13
McD,

Thank you for your help! What you wrote makes 100% sense to me.
The reason for asking this question is that at my former employer they would be very interested in a pilot who is already trained on type, and this of course to save money on training the boy or girl.
It doesn't mean however that you will get the desired interview! There are more factors involved, like you already said. But your resume would at least end up on top of the pile. I was hoping to find some airlines on this site of the Atlantic with the same attitude. Well, I think I just have to keep trying and be patient.

O'Boy

ps.By "showing his interest" I meant; applying for the for the open position. Nothing more nothing less.

surplus1
2nd Jun 2002, 17:51
O'Boy,

Unlike many European locations, the US is saturated with highly qualified and unemployed pilots.

Your experience in type, if acquired with a European carrier will not result in training savings. That is because European air carrier training programs are generally not compatible with or recognized by FAA. The US carrier will have to give you its full training curriculum regardless. Even if you are rated in the type, that JAA rating cannot be transfered to your US pilot certificate. [This has nothing to do with quality of training in Europe (often better) but is actually all politics.]

For example, I personally hold type ratings of JAA origin none of which appear on my US ALTP. Unless I do a complete and new type check in each of those aircraft, by US FAA, the ratings are not transferable. They are as useless in the USA as a US rating would be to a JAA carrier. [Politics again.]

Aside from those technicalities, some US carriers don't like pilots with "previous experience in type", because it is often difficult to break old habits/routines. Easier to train a "green" pilot your way. Unless you're very high on overall experience, your "attitude" (as perceived by Human Resources interviewer -- a non-pilot) may well outrank your flying experience. In this country we tend to hire "profiles" that happen to fly, more often than pilots. Quite different from my own experiences with European employers who seemed to care little about how I "looked or acted" and a great deal about my flying skills.

In applying I suggest you arrange you CV to emphasize your overall flying experience and education instead of your "in type" qualifications. Then, as the previous writer said you'll "join the cue". A "foreign type rating" won't but your app on top of the stack. Your total experience may. Hope that helps some.

Best wishes and good luck to you.

PS. Be sure to dress smart (by American standards) and choose the right necktie. :)

Avius
12th Jun 2002, 20:45
Good points, however, most reputable Airlines in Europe work according the same principals of hiring "personality" in the first place, flying skills come after. Lufthansa's initial 3-5 day assesment for example is build to test everything but flying skills.

It makes absolute sense in a multi-crew environment and after a couple thousand hours jet-time, one can pretty much assume, that you are able to fly that airplane safely. Besides that, I've never met a "bad" CRJ pilot. :)

O'Boy, good luck to you (I'm in the same boat, JAA ATPL B747-400 and CRJ, 4300 ttl 3000jet and US FAA ATP and Greencard). Have been looking for 10 month now. Yap, there is a lot of qualified guys in the US, especially after 9/11. Try Comair, they are planning to hire a lot of guys this year. Good Luck !!

O'Boy
13th Jun 2002, 02:15
Surplus1 and Avius, thank you both for your replies! Since I posted this message things have chanced a little bit. I am fortunate to be in direct contact with a recruiter, responsible for hiring flight crew for an airline.

Though they are currently not hiring, with a lot of furloughed pilots waiting for the call, this is worth something for the near future. And in the meantime.....I am trying to get my old job back and will have to live with a lot of traveling to see my family. Not a pleasant thought, but I think it will pay off one day.

Avius good luck to you as well!

O'Boy

West Coast
13th Jun 2002, 06:03
SkyWest Airlines is hiring. Right now the competitive mins are pretty high, but time in the CRJ will help your cause. All new hires go into the Brasilia and can bid the CRJ after a year. Good luck.

Avius
16th Jun 2002, 15:06
I 've also heard, that after 9/11, all US Airlines have received new guidelines from the FAA regarding recruitment of foreign pilots. According to that, there are severe restrictions for hiring Greencard-Holders, even if their work-history is transparent and they are qualified. Is that true ?? Any info from recruiters out there would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance