PDA

View Full Version : Low Hour pilots just chasing a dream.

dreamed2fly
24th Nov 2014, 03:48
I want to fly for KAL
are there any entry programs for fresh cpl low hour pilots
and even so if i take another path and get my CFI, build my hours
how will i move from single engine to multi engine when no one will hire low hour ME time that you received during the rating, and then moving on from that how will you get Jet time when you have low to no hours Jet time?

when you look at the jobs listed, for example: FO position and Captains you need 500+ hours on a320 minimum 3000+ hours jet time , how to even be in that position?
how to get a320 flying hours when its hard to even get ME time and let alone you have no jet time?

referent power? connections? if so that's just not fair, (life isnt fair i know) :bored::confused::bored:

lee_apromise
24th Nov 2014, 04:25
1) Are you an ethnic Korean?

If yes, get a F-4 visa (if you are eligible) and 1000 hours total. If not, forget about it.

2) Do you have S.Korean nationality?

If yes, get 1000 hours total time. Be it from CFI hours or whatever. If not, forget about it.

3) Still wanna work for KAL?

If yes, get jet times and then apply as an expat through agencies. However don't forget the no.1 above. Ethnic Koreans cannot apply for KAL positions through agencies despite you holding another country's citizenship.

dreamed2fly
24th Nov 2014, 05:23
1. yes i am ethnic Korean
2. in the process of Recovering my Korean Citizenship (will do the compulsory military service)
3. always wanted to fly for KAL

so i will still need to get jet time no matter if i'm a citizen or not?
or if i am a ROK Citizen i just need 1000hr total time?

lee_apromise
24th Nov 2014, 06:25
If you are either a citizen or an overseas Korean holding F-4 visa, you just need 1000 hours total however if you only have something like 15 hrs of multi-engine piston hours, KAL doesn't look at it so favourably.

As you know, their cadets fly multi-engine piston cargo via Ameriflight therefore it's better if you have at least some experience of different types of aircrafts.

On the other hand, this is very important to you. You must find out whether you will get Level 1/2/3 or Level 4 from Korean Military Manpower Administration. Because if you get Level 4, you do your service in civilian world hence you can do some CFI flying whilst doing compulsory national service. But if you get Level 1/2/3, then you are pretty much screwed because you won't be able to fly for the next 21 months.

You must also have 4 years university degree for a job in Korea, including KAL.

Good luck.

dreamed2fly
24th Nov 2014, 07:00
thanks for the advice
yes i am coming along to finishing my degree (1 semester to go) will a 3 year degree let me work for KAL or do i need to do an extra year?
one more question though, in the korean military administration the levels they assign is it completely randomized or assigned based on....?
and what are the chances to do your service in the airforce?

lee_apromise
24th Nov 2014, 07:09
3-year-degree from Aust doesn't cut it. You need a 4-year-degree. If you can do the honours at your university, then do it. But I guess it depends on your GPA.

Military Administration will decide based on your health.

Army: 21months
Navy: 23 months
Air Force: 24 months
Civil Service (Level 4): 24 months

You can choose between Army, Navy or Air Force if you get Level 1/2/3. But it's not like you will fly anything if you go to Air Force so why bother?

So you are in 3rd year, that makes you 20 or 21. Even if you finish your national service, you will be 24 at max. Forget about getting a job in Korea at 24. It just doesn't work.

This year, KAL hired those (F-4 visa holders) who were born in 1987. You can do the maths yourself.

dreamed2fly
24th Nov 2014, 07:18
damn I'm 24 now.
guess i should look for other opportunities.

if i really wanted to fly with KAL my only option would be to fly for other airline build 5000+ hours and then apply for KAL right?

lee_apromise
24th Nov 2014, 07:26
Dude

Now 24, After NS 26, After Honours year 27. CFI 1~2 years 29. You will be fine.

Tell me where else you can go with your CASA CPL. Nowhere. Nobody is hiring in Australia. At least in Korea, jobs are always there but you have to compete with other 250hrs guys.

This advice comes from a guy who is doing civil service now whilst fixing my body (yeah I got level 4) :E after flying heavy turboprop in overseas.

And I told you above, you won't be able to join KAL or AAR through agencies because you are an ethnic Korean even if you have 5000 hours of jet hours.

dreamed2fly
24th Nov 2014, 07:33
oh you scared me for a bit there :eek:
i might just apply for f-4 visa so i can skip military service
and may have more time to focus on building my 1000 hours

Thanks so much, you helped me understand my plan/goal a whole lot better.

lee_apromise
24th Nov 2014, 07:38
If you are eligible for F-4 visa, then go ahead. But it ain't easy.

If your parents live in Australia with PR status, then you can get it but if your parents reside in Korea, there's no chance for you to get F-4 visa unless you complete your national service first.

Oh did I tell you? AAR doesn't wanna hire anybody with F-4 visa and so are most of low cost carriers. :}

dreamed2fly
24th Nov 2014, 07:46
ahh all of these obstacles to fulfill my dream
just love it haha

do you work for KAL?