PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Card List

OFSO
23rd Nov 2014, 19:53
Excluding JB-ers at the two extreme ends of the spectrum - those foolishly generous chaps who send a Christmas Card to everyone they know, and those tight b*stards who don't send any Cards at all: how do the rest of you work out their lists ?

People who sent a Card last year ? Family only ? Family plus friends ?

I receive quite a few Cards from people with whom I had a historical connection - in some cases, tens of years ago - but from whom I have not otherwise heard in the past 12 months, or 24 months or whatever.

This year I'm planning to delete from my list everyone from whom I have not heard in the past 364 days.

And form letters - "what we got up to in the past twelve months" - is it churlishly rude to remind people of how excitingly wonderful your own life is compared with their own pathetic boring worm-like existence, or should one write a letter (if one writes at all) designed to excite their pity in the hope that one might be tossed a holiday invite to their yacht in the S of F, or (eventually) be a recipient in somebody's last W & T ?

So to sum up: who goes on your Christmas Card List ? And do you include a form letter ?

TomJoad
23rd Nov 2014, 20:00
Immediate family, close friends, and anyone who has made me smile or helped me along in the past year. Must admit I do get a bit annoyed by Christmas card giving at work - thankfully over the past few years we have a board we we can send a card to all and donate something to charity.

Wasn't the original idea of the Christmas card (Victorian invention I think) to be sent to those family and friends who you would not see over the festive period.

Tom

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Nov 2014, 20:06
'Form letters' (Identical boast lists included with each card) are known as 'Round Robins' in UK. Simple - just don't do it! A personal letter unique to a particular recipient are, however, perfectly OK in my book.

Christmas cards - only to those who last year sent one to us, plus the occasional 'new friend'.

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Nov 2014, 20:14
There won't be many more years left before there won't be any Xmas cards sent due to the demographic having changed so much…..Probably an Xmas themed e-card is all we'll get/send or holographic Ho Ho Ho (not to be confused with the Nanking Ho's if you don't mind).

Over the years I've often wondered the point of some people's card lists, which comprised mainly of people they hardly ever saw (but geographically near), people that they didn't really care for, or simply because they were returning the favour and didn't want to appear rude :hmm: Also the more cards sent often meant the more cards received and therefore the covering of walls and fireplace mantelpieces more sure :) I think that OFSO's thinking of leaving out 'unheard' friends from his list to be sound, a sort of personal Feng Shui for friends. Just to add a slither of doubt, it could well be that that one card NOT sent would have changed the life of the would be recipient in that moment for the better, but alas now…….:uhoh:

SHJ

airship
23rd Nov 2014, 20:37
I don't think I'll send any Xmas cards to the UK this year. I wouldn't want to unnecessarily overload the Royal Mail and deprive others who depend on it more than I do... ;)

Ancient Mariner
23rd Nov 2014, 20:53
Ask my wife, she will tell you.
Per

fenland787
23rd Nov 2014, 20:57
OFSO,
And form letters - "what we got up to in the past twelve months"You can do no better than Lynne Truss's* proposed response from an article wot she wrote for the Beeb: (Self-proclaimed punctuation pedant of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" fame)

BBC News - Christmas round-robin letters: The revenge (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20810452)

*Good grief - hope I got that possessive apostrophe right?

probes
23rd Nov 2014, 21:53
no form letters. About 5 cards. To and from some people who really care about cards. I've been receiving and paying for the ones painted with feet (by disabled people) or how's the society called. The ones from my youth look cute, so maybe future generations will find these nice, too.
And I enjoy Christmas.
Maybe because I've managed to avoid total fuss somehow.

Dushan
23rd Nov 2014, 22:02
Ask my wife, she will tell you.
Per

Same here. I just get handed a dozen cards to sign.

meadowrun
23rd Nov 2014, 22:13
Family - all distant- (4). PPRuNer, down under, who gets a pertinent prezzie this year and her young daughter who also gets a prezzie (special).(2).

Presents all bought but cards I am extremely selective with and tend to find good'uns one at time.

So not much work this Christmas.

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th Nov 2014, 00:18
Form Letters..........is that what they are called.........written by pretentious attention seeking cnuts who have absolutely no idea of life...........insular strokers..................

and relax...................

We get one each year from a former tenuous friend of Mrs L and it is the most cringe worthy diatribe ever. I am oh so tempted each year to send one back 'blowing our trumpet' which is light-years ahead but its simply not the done thing.......

mikedreamer787
24th Nov 2014, 00:57
and those tight b*stards who don't send any Cards at all:

You rang? http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/tongue/tongue0005.gif

IBMJunkman
24th Nov 2014, 04:11
Since I worked in Italy for 11 years ending 12/2000 I send more cards to Italy than I do to friends in the States. And retiring 3/2013 apparently caused my brain to turn to mush as last year I did send out a newsletter in the cards. The news included my retirement, my 30lb weight loss and upcoming visit to Italy. This year it will cover the Italy trip, a visit to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View and an upcoming train trip to Chicago.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Nov 2014, 06:47
No cards.

Don't care.

Bah! Humbug!

probes
24th Nov 2014, 07:54
written by pretentious attention seeking cnuts
come on , it's not that bad! I really like the couple of them that I get from people I used to work together, but we are not close enough to e-mail monthly - so, it's good to get an update! (as a person without a face in the book).

OFSO
24th Nov 2014, 10:57
Thanks for the advice: I'm acting on it.

You're all off my Christmas Card List this year.......

With much upward-rolling of the eyeballs, OFSO.

mikedreamer787
24th Nov 2014, 11:07
You're all off my Christmas Card List this year.......

Awww...don't take it to heart OFSO - I mightn't send you one for Christmas but you're
definitely on my Birthday Card list! :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZnofBvIYAAfzOK.jpg

cockney steve
24th Nov 2014, 12:32
Nothing sent,nothing given,other than to the surrogate grand kids who lost mum and nan within 5 months of each other, the estranged dad and partner who picked up the pieces and his parents.
My own kids know not to waste time and effort on a pointless farce lumbering me with a load of unwanted, un needed, overpriced 5h1t.
Daughter and youngest son go hiking/climbing somewhere remote
Eldest son is more conventional,has wife, house, now a baby, He goes to outlaws or V.V....knows better than to visit me with the false bonhomie and bull. bah, humbug....and, no, I don't lay in piles of comestibles and stuff....it's just another day. keep myself to myself.

Keef
24th Nov 2014, 12:55
M and I receive hundreds. We send about a hundred, mostly to good friends we don't see often enough, or to people we've known for ages who live alone and like a "chatty" card to read.

I think it depends on the "society" you live in. Mine's largely people-centred rather than "thing-centred", and anyway we celebrate Christmas round here.

OFSO
24th Nov 2014, 13:55
Well, Mr Dreamer, that seagues nicely into my second Christmas Theme - Dining with the Whole Family. It is, needless to say, a total pain in the rectum. In exchange for my presence this year I have negotiated permission to dress as I chose for the family occasion.

Whereas my loved one(s) assume this will mean a choice between a suit, Harris Tweed jacket and jodhpurs, or t-shirt and the similar, I was thinking of buying a wig, borrowing a dress and high-heeled shoes, and going as Aunt Dorothy as suggested by mikedreamer's card (and not I need hardly say, as the alternative rude interpretation of the flowing script.)

The cries from the youngest members of the Family - "who is that funny lady, mama ?" should ensure that I am never invited again and can in my future remaining years spend Christmas Eve with a pint of Guinness and a steak pie in my favourite hostelry behind the University College Hospital in Euston Road.

Pelikal
24th Nov 2014, 14:42
WTF is a Christmas Card List? :E

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Nov 2014, 14:47
Like a hit list, but not as much fun.

...Or it could just be a Christmas card leaning a few degrees off the vertical.

OFSO
24th Nov 2014, 14:48
Rearrange the words thus:

List Christmas Card

Insert "of"

List of Christmas Card

Add "recipients"

List of Christmas Card Recipients

Utter words such as "oh my God it's not that time of the year is it ?" and go out for a swift half or twain.

Pelikal
24th Nov 2014, 18:07
Dear Mr. OFSO, thank you for your clarification, much appreciated.

victor tango
24th Nov 2014, 19:15
Im quite well known in a few of the hostelries I visit for libations for not liking the festive season.
In one of the pubs regulars started giving them to each other:ugh:
If you didnt go in for a day or so a load of cards would be in a box on the bar.
WHY?????????????

So one year I took my card in. Listed on the inside were the pubs I use.
I said to the landlord of the Red Lion, just display it for a day then Ill put a tick against it then move on to the Stag for same ............ worked a treat!!

Had to laugh at some of the comments on this thread about those cringe-worthy round robin things you sometimes get. Some people use the same for telling you all their ailments over the past year....or worse:sad:

Can we get JB folk to devise their own , no holds barred round robin addition to their cards??

1DC
24th Nov 2014, 19:19
I send one. Mrs 1DC sends about a hundred. Last year I didn't get around to sending the one I'm supposed to send.Coincidentally, yesterday I was reminded not to forget to send the one I'm supposed to send, this year.
Oddly enough seeing this thread reminded me that I had forgotten what Mrs 1DC said to me yesterday!!:(:(

rgbrock1
24th Nov 2014, 19:20
I'm not on anyone's Christmas card list, for some mysterious reason.

The last card I sent anyone was similar to this.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIxzXcgvtuBVX64lHgreo_MQ3xfjISz575xSq2MAd 7L8ZjsmK6Gw

Might have something to do with my not receiving any more cards. I'm not certain though. :E

ShyTorque
24th Nov 2014, 20:47
Form Letters..........is that what they are called.........written by pretentious attention seeking cnuts who have absolutely no idea of life...........insular strokers..................
and relax...................
We get one each year from a former tenuous friend of Mrs L and it is the most cringe worthy diatribe ever. I am oh so tempted each year to send one back 'blowing our trumpet' which is light-years ahead but its simply not the done thing.......

SFFP, I know just what you mean. We get sent a couple of real "rip-snorters" every year. We actually refer to them as "Trumpet Blowing letters".

We don't reply to them because we'd hate to even attempt to forward our possibly pathetic by comparison but fairly normal family happenings over the year to these apparently super human entities. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, lsh and his wife usually send us a very nice, down to earth, annual resumee of family news, which we are always very pleased to receive and respond to. :ok:

OFSO
24th Nov 2014, 21:18
Can we get JB folk to devise their own , no holds barred

I'll find a copy of the one I sent a few years ago. It was tongue-in-cheek, and not the cheek you might be thinking of, either. Despite being OTT outrageous a couple of friends thought it was serious and became very upset.

Example: we really do not have an Annual Ceremony of towing an English tourist around the Bay behind a Sunseeker while he's bombarded with beer cans every time he passes the port of Roses quayside.

If you must know, it's a Frenchman behind a 5m RIB, and it's bottles of wine.