PDA

View Full Version : Advert in to-day's Torygraph.

RedhillPhil
23rd Nov 2014, 11:36
There's a two page spread in to-day's Torygraph which is along the lines of, never mind about a third runway at Heathrow, just extend.
Basically the proposal is to extend one runway and use it in two sections with a 380 metre space as safety zone.
Erm, forgive my ignorance about this - no really - but am I to understand that one aircraft will be landing at one end of this enormously long runway whilst another is taking off from the other end. What happens if the landing one suddenly has to overshoot and go around again? What position does that put the taking off one in?

chevvron
23rd Nov 2014, 12:00
Obviously proposed by someone who has no knowledge of iap and map design.

DaveReidUK
23rd Nov 2014, 13:10
Heathrow Hub, the originators of the proposal, stated last year that the safety case had been published on their website.

However there is no sign of it there as far as I can see, and a recent announcement from them said that it was only submitted last month to the Airports Commission and the CAA for assessment.

Not that it really matters as the scheme is only shortlisted as a makeweight. It would probably have never have been included at all had the only member of the Airports Commission with actual experience of running an airport not been forced to resign because of a perceived conflict of interest.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Nov 2014, 14:10
<<but am I to understand that one aircraft will be landing at one end of this enormously long runway whilst another is taking off from the other end. What happens if the landing one suddenly has to overshoot and go around again? What position does that put the taking off one in?>>

No real problem and ATC is well-equipped to deal with such things. Think of a single runway operation where a lander goes around just as the last departure has lifted.

Doors to Automatic
23rd Nov 2014, 17:23
On top of which there would be a lot of distance and height between the two aircraft at any one point and the go-around procedure already calls for a turn as soon as possible if it is still the same as before.

cavortingcheetah
23rd Nov 2014, 18:01
Perhaps Cat IIIC equipped aircraft and certified crew will become mandatory for approaches into Heathrow? That would reduce the likelihood of go arounds.
Sooner or later though, someone departing will have an EFATO while someone coming in will have had a Cat IIIC 'failure' and will have to go around. That should play a little havoc with noise abatement procedures.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Nov 2014, 18:44
<<Perhaps Cat IIIC equipped aircraft and certified crew will become mandatory for approaches into Heathrow? That would reduce the likelihood of go arounds.>>

I'd love to know how......?

Hotel Tango
23rd Nov 2014, 19:38
......only by increasing the spacing. Oh, wait a minute, their might be something fundamentally wrong with that concept! :hmm:

DaveReidUK
23rd Nov 2014, 20:28
I suspect the CAA will be interested in the landing overrun case, too.

But, as I said earlier, it's all a bit academic.

Peter47
28th Nov 2014, 20:25
Hope that runway alternation has been abolished by the time that extended runway is opened.

Gonzo
29th Nov 2014, 06:37
Why would the runway overrun issue be any different to any other airport, including today's LHR?

DaveReidUK
29th Nov 2014, 14:25
Why would the runway overrun issue be any different to any other airport, including today's LHR?

I suspect the fact that the proposed runway configuration has never been done before at any airport in the world might have grabbed the attention of the CAA.

Gonzo
29th Nov 2014, 16:12
I suspect the fact that the proposed runway configuration has never been done before at any airport in the world might have grabbed the attention of the CAA.

Ah, but that's a different issue, though, and I'm sure it has.

ZOOKER
29th Nov 2014, 17:33
Surely the 27R overrun area would also need the carry the 900-odd metres of approach lighting for the westerly half of the runway. Could they be inset into the surface or do they have to be on frangible supports?