PDA

View Full Version : A Drone's View of Buffalo Snow

rgbrock1
21st Nov 2014, 18:13
5m6oXJcg7aM#t=66

airship
21st Nov 2014, 18:25
I'm no Eskimo...but I'm told that they have several hundred words to describe different types of snow. I've never heard of 'Buffalo Snow' before and if the Eskimoes don't have a word for it then it probably doesn't really exist...

Note to oneself: If sending drone out in inclement weather conditions, 'turn on' windscreen wiper on camera-housing! ;)

probes
21st Nov 2014, 20:27
Beautiful!
It always is, for the first couple of months or so.
(and beware of the health hazards when shovelling, of course)

rotornut
22nd Nov 2014, 15:16
A well done video.
As for types of snow I believe the Inuit (as Eskimos now like to be called) have just under 50 words.

OFSO
22nd Nov 2014, 19:54
A brilliant clip...thanks.

421dog
22nd Nov 2014, 21:00
It's ok to call the Inuit Inuit, but it really pisses off the Yupik to be referred to as such.

Eskimo is popularly regarded as perjorative in Canada as the arctic people are pretty much all Inuit. That isn't so in Alaska and Siberia where Eskimo is a perfectly acceptable moniker.

Calling a Yupik Inuit is like calling a Scot English.

So keep your word police in Canada on this one.

421dog
22nd Nov 2014, 21:05
You can have your damned polar vortex back as well.

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2014, 22:11
It's ok to call the Inuit Inuit, but it really pisses off the Yupik to be referred to as such.
Eskimo is popularly regarded as perjorative in Canada.

I have a friend whose appearance suggests that she is of 'Eskimo' descent - but I have never discussed the subject with her,and probably never would, but I wonder what word I should use?

There was a percentage of such people in Denmark, and they were referred-to as 'Greenlanders' (which they almost certainly were - Greenland having 'belonged' to Denmark).

421dog
22nd Nov 2014, 22:59
The Greenland "Eskimo" are all Inuit and likely would prefer to be referred to as such.

pigboat
23rd Nov 2014, 00:03
I wonder if the drone was certified for flight into known ice. :p

evansb
23rd Nov 2014, 04:06
Oh the myths we love to hang on to..

To quote an authority on Eskimo-Aleut languages, "..In fact, the EskimoľAleut languages have about the same number of distinct word roots referring to snow as English does, but the structure of these languages tends to allow more variety as to how those roots can be modified in forming a single word."

evansb
23rd Nov 2014, 04:19
The etymology of the word Eskimo is vague, but it seems to come from a Cree word for raw meat, and evolved into a description of peoples who are "eaters of raw meat". Not an all together incorrect description of a diet characteristic of northern people living in Arctic regions.

Cristobal Colon called the first people he saw "Indians" because he thought he had landed on or near India.

Blacksheep
26th Nov 2014, 13:26
I thought they were all Injuns?

I read too many comic books in my childhood. ;)

Dont Hang Up
26th Nov 2014, 13:39
This would have been much better if the lens had not become contaminated with snow one minute in.

Could the OP say anything about the model of drone? Christmas is coming up. That is what I would like! :)

Limeygal
26th Nov 2014, 14:38
Good video-this is why I live in Florida!

rgbrock1
26th Nov 2014, 14:44
limeygal:

My son is currently in Pensacola for US Navy "A school" training.
Last week when I talked to him it was 30F at 20:00 (8 p.m.). So I guess even Florida doesn't escape the Great Evil Polar Vortex. But the snow, yes.
For now anyway.

OFSO
26th Nov 2014, 17:56
How about an update on the "Monster Storm" which is supposed to be moving in to disrupt Thanksgiving ? Is it snowing yet (I know it is in Ferguson 'cos I saw the snowflakes on TV news).

rgbrock1
26th Nov 2014, 18:00
It is snow very heavily here in NY, OFSO. We are supposed to get only about 6-8" of the nasty white stuff but that's enough to make any travel today near impossible and tomorrow, ugly.

Dushan? Oh Dushan. Come out, come out wherever you are. This is YOUR FAULT (and the rest of you O' Canada people) and you know it is.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Nov 2014, 18:08
This weather system started in the Gulf of Mexico. Your Gulf of Mexico. It snows because NY is farther North than Florida. If Canada wasn't there, you would get even more snow from the therefore-larger Arctic Ocean.

We are, in fact, doing you a favor by collecting most of it (I am expecting between 12" and 16" by tomorrow morning).

You're welcome!

rgbrock1
26th Nov 2014, 18:11
Fox3:

This is true that the low-pressure system started in the Gulf. HOWEVER, the cold front which turned the would-be rain into the white stuff started out in O' Canada and is funneling down through O' Canada and into New England.
So there. :p

12-40"? Wow. Have fun!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Nov 2014, 18:14
As I say, said weather would be worse if Canada were not there.

The roads will be driveable by Friday, and the snow will likely be gone by Sunday. It just means I'm not going anywhere tomorrow.
The winds here mean my road usually has drifts in places that are 10 times deeper than the snowfall.

vulcanised
26th Nov 2014, 20:05
This weather system started in the Gulf of Mexico

Has Obama blamed it on BP yet?