PDA

View Full Version : lurkers delurking

probes
20th Nov 2014, 17:25
now and then someone claims to be 'a long-time lurker, but never posted before'. I've been wondering. Is it like an excuse of knowing things when one decides to get a new username, or is it like in real life - some people just are not talkative?

charliegolf
20th Nov 2014, 17:53
In Jet Blast, many newbies might well be forgiven for thinking that they would be savaged, no matter what they posted!

CG

SpringHeeledJack
20th Nov 2014, 17:53
When one changes between forums, at the bottom are a list of whose online and almost always there's a massive number of 'visitors', way more than the members! Perhaps they are too nervous/shy/uncommitted to join and post, or are gathering information (bearing in mind that there is a lot of info on pprune, both good and bad).

As long as one doesn't claim to have shot down a brace of commie migs over Da Nang, or wrestled a 747 away from a school whilst in a downdraught when descending into LHR (when it's not true) then in my experience you will be welcomed, so reticence is not necessary. I guess lurkers decide to unlurk so they can contribute personal experience, or it beats talking to oneself :p What makes me wonder is why regular, even prolific posters just stop and…..disappear. Unless banned, arrested or some such (got the hump for a perceived slight) it's just puzzling to me that a habit, perhaps quite strong is broken just like that.

SHJ

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 18:04
SHJ wrote:

What makes me wonder is why regular, even prolific posters just stop and…..disappear.

That list would be rather extensive.

con-pilot
20th Nov 2014, 18:12
When I first found Pprune, I didn't lurk at all, I just jumped in with both feet.

Learned never to do that again when I looked at a new website I am thinking about joining. :\

But, I have to say, things were a hell of a lot different here in 1998 when I first joined. Not saying it was better or worse, just more wide open is a far as I’ll go and many prolific posters from back then have disappeared. Why they did, I’ve not a clue, but quite a few are missed.

Mac the Knife
20th Nov 2014, 20:14
"What makes me wonder is why regular, even prolific posters just stop and…..disappear"

People get bored, life changes, PPRuNe changes and perhaps they find something (or someone) more profitable for their time.

PPRuNe is like an old whore that you keep going back to out of habit.

Mac

:hmm:

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:20
Some die. Binos, Davaar, the chap who drove the L1011, a few others whose names, sadly I can't remember right away.

Some get banned, like Caco and 500N, and Airborne Aircrew, Jane DOH

Some disappear like Elena, chuks' love of his life, with red tractor.

Paulf
20th Nov 2014, 20:22
I don't post very much on any forum, but still enjoy getting information from them.

Some of us are like that, I guess.

(It may not alway be a great idea to post random thoughts on a website relating to the industry you are making a career in) :suspect:

SpringHeeledJack
20th Nov 2014, 20:26
the chap who drove the L1011

That would be 411A, a font of information aviation, though his manner ruffled some feathers.

SHJ

con-pilot
20th Nov 2014, 20:29
Some disappear like Elena, chuks' love of his life, with red tractor.

Yeah, but I don't which chuks misses more, Elena, or her red tractor. :p

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 20:29
So are you saying 411A died? :eek:

Rionart
20th Nov 2014, 20:30
I enjoy reading a lot of the posts in the various Pprune forums, but I only consider posting when I have something positive to contribute...so not very often...:oh:

Capetonian
20th Nov 2014, 20:32
I'm a lurker. Never post, never have anything to say.

con-pilot
So are you saying 411A died?

Yes, had a heart attack. I like him and his posts, he didn't call a spade a spade, he called it a god damn shovel.

Dushan
So are you saying 411A died? :eek:

Yes, he had a heart attack in a bar in Panama. It was here, and in the news, a few years ago.

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 20:33
Most unfortunate. RIP 411A.

Mechta
20th Nov 2014, 20:36
Mac the knife wrote:

You lucky thing!

Pprune mods, I want the same features on my Pprune that Mac has.

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:37
Most unfortunate. RIP 411A.

here you go RGB, Honduras…

http://www.pprune.org/where-they-now/449191-411a-has-flown-west.html

pigboat
20th Nov 2014, 20:39
Yes, had a heart attack. I like him and his posts, he didn't call a spade a spade, he called it a god damn shovel.
Yep, and if he was wrong about something he was man enough to admit it and move on. I once commented that I hated the Beech 65-80 Queen Air, with a passion. He came back about what a great aircraft it was and how he liked it and it had never given him a minute's problem. I told him it may have been a great aircraft but it sure as hell wasn't as good as the Lockheed 10A it had replaced with our company. He said, well yeah, nothing can top a Lockheed. :D

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 20:42
Thanks for the link Dushan. Must have missed this one I suppose.

Okay then, where's Rainboe? :}:E

er340790
20th Nov 2014, 20:44

Mac

Well.... ex-GF maybe. :} You find yourself not seeing her for months on end, then bump into her by accident... one quick drink and nothing more... but you only remember the good times... and everything else is so damn easy...

Guilty as charged, Your Honour!

(Take me down!) :E

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:44
Thanks for the link Dushan. Must have missed this one I suppose.

Okay then, where's Rainboe? :}:E

There is a very special feature mods have if you have been naughty. You can post and you can see your posts, but if you have been "Rainboe-ed" no one else can see your posts.

Draw your conclusions...

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 20:46
Dushan:

So that would be akin to talking to oneself, no? And the problem with that is?
Here at work I often talk to myself. (Mainly because no one else f***ing listens)

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:51
Dushan:

So that would be akin to talking to oneself, no? And the problem with that is?
Here at work I often talk to myself. (Mainly because no one else f***ing listens)

No, it's more like talking to your kids while they're plugged into their i-whatevers.

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 20:52
You mean like my wife tries with me when I have a "headache" and would much prefer listening to my iPad? :}:E

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:54
Or when my wife tries to talk to me while I am composing a clever post on JB.

wings folded
20th Nov 2014, 21:00
Wife doesn't try to talk to you that often, then? :p

Didn't mean it of course. Some of your posts are very clever.

Just couldn't pass up on the dangling bait...

SpringHeeledJack
20th Nov 2014, 21:00
At least (if I remember correctly) 411A did one last epic flight on his L1101 for the shabby operator he worked for and hand flew from BUD to Nicaragua when the auto pilot failed amongst other problems and died not long afterwards. rainboe, at least under that handle, had a hilarious last evening of posting (perhaps with lubrication) and thereafter no longer seen.

SHJ

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 21:02
Wife doesn't try to talk to you that often, then? :p

Didn't mean it of course. Some of your posts are very clever.

Just couldn't pass up on the dangling bait...

I was going to put a "to me" clarifier.

ETOPS
20th Nov 2014, 21:41
Rainboe retired from flying - I had a PM from him on another site last year so he's still around.

SpringHeeledJack
21st Nov 2014, 06:54
Despite not being to everyone's taste, the 'naughty' posters certainly do liven up the forums with their ability to provoke others into defending their positions/viewpoints and with banter. Unless it's a matter of legal liability/outright abuse, I'm for letting those persons stay. Then again, I don't have to moderate/read every post :8

SHJ

probes
21st Nov 2014, 08:18
oh, my - the legends of PPrune... I followed the links and some more. Impressive.
So it seems to be impossible to hide a true personality, even in the ne(t).
Very impressive.

And even a lurker around here! Rionart, are you not talkative in real life?
Asking mainly because I think I should try to practice that art more often, too :sad:

cockney steve
21st Nov 2014, 12:08
SLASHER ! Outrageous, witty, controversial...... the forum is duller without him (or his rapidly expurgated excesses)

The_hippie
21st Nov 2014, 14:33
I'm a registered lurker but seldom have anything relevant to say so, I don't. :ok:

Shmoo
21st Nov 2014, 23:06
I've been lurking here since 2000, registered in '07, but because of my pathetic typing skills I rarely post! That's not to say I don't enjoy my time here. Proon is my favourite website.

phyxit
22nd Nov 2014, 01:17
(It may not alway be a great idea to post random thoughts on a website relating to the industry you are making a career in)

Particularly if one has left private industry to join the Dark Side.

FullOppositeRudder
22nd Nov 2014, 01:51
Rainboe retired from flying - I had a PM from him on another site last year so he's still around. Good to hear - I used to enjoy his input :ok:

Andu
22nd Nov 2014, 02:12
Ahh, 411A... At the height of his fame, (i.e., when he was at his most prolific posting rate - WHICH WAS ***ING PROLIFIC), I created a Pprune identity named '411eh' and got one post in, in which I attempted to squeeze as many contrary - and conflicting - views as I possibly could into one paragraph (which I thought was pretty much on par with most of 411A's posts).

The moderators couldn't see my cutting-edge humour and promptly deleted my post and banned me.

As for 411A RIP, He must have been a bundle of fun to fly with... Well, maybe not.