PDA

View Full Version : It has been a busy day in Pyongyang.

John Hill
20th Nov 2014, 05:41
...according to the usual news sources.

Threatened nuclear test, Putin calls for deeper ties with North Korea, Kim Jong Un gave field guidance during his visit to the completed Pyongyang Baby Home and Orphanage. Read about the bridge to nowhere!

rh200
20th Nov 2014, 06:52
Yes John thanks for that, have been following it. Though we can only tell from afar, whats it like being in the mix:E

As for Russia, well birds of a feather. China has pinned its flag on the mask of peace (will keep one eye open on that one though:p) recently. It is also trying to distance itself from the little fat one, so its only natural for Putin to step in since he can use NK and take it for all its worth.

John Hill
20th Nov 2014, 07:03
Pyongyang has always been closer to Moscow than Beijing.

Hempy
20th Nov 2014, 08:31
Pyongyang has always been closer to Moscow than Beijing.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/h3mpy/C91ED928-D9C4-4276-9C83-E04E18F5A01C.png_zpsnfzxxvxj.jpeg

:}

Capot
20th Nov 2014, 09:12
Hempy...

figurative

ˈfɪɡ(ə)rətɪv,-ɡjʊ-/adjective

departing from a literal use of words; metaphorical.

"a figurative expression"

synonyms: metaphorical, non-literal, symbolic, allegorical, representative, emblematic;

meadowrun
20th Nov 2014, 09:55
Putin has few friends at the moment. He has to cosy up where he can.
Not very imaginative and totally predictable.

TWT
20th Nov 2014, 10:11
Who are Putin's friends ?

Syria,North Korea,what about Venezuela since Hugo died ?Cuba ?

PTT
20th Nov 2014, 10:30
Capot

joke (jk)
n.
1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.

2. A mischievous trick; a prank.

3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.

4. Informal
a. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.

b. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

:ok:

Fareastdriver
20th Nov 2014, 16:01
You have got to remember that when all of Korea was liberated from the Japanese in 1945 the Russians occupied the North and the USA the South. Attempts to unify the peninsular were thwarted by the Russians so NK in its present state was set up by the Soviet Union.

They were saved by the Chinese during the Korean War but ever since they have regarded North Korea as no more than a buffer state between them and the USA influenced South Korea.

China does not need them any more so Kim is having to look back in history to his country's parents.

Capot
20th Nov 2014, 16:56
PTT - you may be right, but I'm not so sure.......

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 17:52
Does this, then, answer the question "who started the Korean War?"

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 18:07
Dushan wrote:

Does this, then, answer the question "who started the Korean War?"

Everyone well knows who started the Korean war: Canada. :}

John Hill
20th Nov 2014, 18:53
Attempts to unify the peninsular were thwarted by the Russians

How did they do that?

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:15
How did they do that?

Could it be by arming their proxy state to the teeth and allowing them to start the war*.

* That would be "Korean War":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Lonewolf_50
20th Nov 2014, 20:26
Oh dear, here we go again ... :mad:

John Hill
20th Nov 2014, 20:28
LW_50, I will fix it for you..

Oh dear, here he goes again .

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:30
Lone, what do you think the purpose of starting this thread was?

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 20:34
Dushan wrote:

To discuss the mating habits of the red-bellied sap sucker? :confused:

con-pilot
20th Nov 2014, 20:43

Well personally, I'd like to hear more about the Mongolian Bar. Photos of same would be nice.

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:46
Well personally, I'd like to hear more about the Mongolian Bar. Photos of same would be nice.

Only taken with a lens of less than 300mm.

meadowrun
20th Nov 2014, 20:47
Wasn't a War, was a Police Action. Just ask the vets. then run.

A Busy Day in Pyongyang

Pyongyang streetview Juche 102 (2013) - YouTube

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:47
Dushan wrote:

To discuss the mating habits of the red-bellied sap sucker? :confused:

Does the red-bellied sap sucker shag sheep?

rgbrock1
20th Nov 2014, 20:48
dushan:

Yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full.

oh, wrong rhyme. Oh well.

Fliegenmong
20th Nov 2014, 20:50

To suck the likes of you and a few others in Dushan.....

It worked......and it works every time.....

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 20:53

To suck the likes of you and a few others in Dushan.....

It worked......and it works every time.....

Id does, doesn't it, but I wonder if our John knows that by doing that he drives traffic to IB which is a US company that makes money as a result?

con-pilot
20th Nov 2014, 21:15
I watched the video posted by meadowrun, didn't see the Mongolian Bar.

But the video was out of focus a few times, so I might have missed it. :(

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 21:22
Mongolian Bar must have been at the place where you could see two cars simultaneously*.

* Not including the military trucks.

chuks
20th Nov 2014, 21:24
Who started the Mongolian Bar?

brickhistory
20th Nov 2014, 21:29
Young lady named "Elena?"

rh200
20th Nov 2014, 21:32
Could it be by arming their proxy state to the teeth and allowing them to start the war*.

I thought this was about NK not Ukraine:p

Dushan
20th Nov 2014, 21:34
According to Elena, Ukraine does not exist. So there...

John Hill
20th Nov 2014, 23:54
Interesting video meadowrun.

A lot more traffic and a lot more people on the streets than I remember and a lot more electricity. Everyone appeared a bit more relaxed too, when we were there those (school?) groups in white shirts would have been marching 3 abreast with one out front carrying a flag.

con-pilot
21st Nov 2014, 00:04
with one out front carrying a flag

Maybe they ran out of flags. :p

Yeah, yeah, 20,000 comedians out of work and you get me. :E

Dushan
21st Nov 2014, 00:19
Con, remember, John snuck away from his "minders" and was roaming the streets of Pyongyang alone. This was a government sanctioned video. Everything you've seen on it had been staged, choreographed, and rehearsed.

con-pilot
21st Nov 2014, 01:22
Everything you've seen on it had been staged, choreographed, and rehearsed.

Oh, you mean like an Obama speech. :p

Speaking of that, I wonder how it is going?

Dushan
21st Nov 2014, 02:05
Yes, except for TelePrompTer they have Generals with notepads.

Dushan
21st Nov 2014, 02:09
As for how it is going, my Spanish is iffy, at best, so I opted for a new episode of "Big Bang Theory".

Hempy
21st Nov 2014, 07:36
Capot,

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/h3mpy/350ADACC-BF15-4FA4-864C-B0BC1FAC6F71.png_zpswimvp4cf.jpeg

:ugh:

chuks
21st Nov 2014, 08:20
In another worker's paradise, the People's Republic of China, the German foreign minister recently was attempting to give an interview in Beijing's main square using the gate tower with the big portrait of Mao as a backdrop, when the omnipresent Chinese security forces, probably military police, threw a wobbly and shut them down, claiming that no permission was granted for making a sound recording or for taking this interview past two minutes flat. Then they shut the whole square down!

Still, compared to the DPRK, I guess the PRC is pretty loose. We enjoyed hearing our tour guides speak fairly openly of the massacre of the protesters in Beijing, and the way that portraits of the Dalai Lama are taboo in Tibet.

One of our party asked our guide about the current relationship between the PRC and the DPRK but answer came there none. I guess we need to ask John about that instead. What's the latest on that, John? From your inside sources, please .....

Nervous SLF
22nd Nov 2014, 01:34
North Korean Student 'Kidnapped' In Paris.

There are fears the student, identified only as Han, may have been forcibly taken back to
North Korea to be executed.
The student was reportedly picked up by the agents but dramatically escaped while being
taken to the airport.
However, he has not been seen for at least 15 days.
Han is the son of an aide to Jang Song-thaek, Kim's uncle who was once considered the number two
in the regime but who was executed in December on treason charges.
The newspaper reported that France has been discreetly allowing North Korean students to come
to France to study architecture since 2002.
A teacher at the school revealed that North Korean students were closely watched.
"There was often a suited Asian man who came to classes," said the teacher, who was not named.
"One time, a representative of the North Korean delegation in Paris wanted to resit the exams in the
place of a student who had failed the year."

That student was "never seen again," the teacher added. :eek:

North Korean Student 'Kidnapped' In Paris (http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/north-korean-student-kidnapped-in-paris/ar-BBf3ALE)

Matari
22nd Nov 2014, 02:09
Who really knows how many people the DPRK has kidnapped, taken to North Korea, sent to gulags, starved and killed. Some estimate thousands, with women especially prized as brides. The "half-breed" offspring are then used in espionage, being able to pass as natives in their motherlands.

All this is documented in the increasing number of books by defectors, or as John might say, "traitors to the glorious paradise of eternal corpulence and emmentaler cheese."

What is odd -- and by that I mean completely understandable -- is that our Kiwi correspondent was never spirited away himself. One would think he'd make the ideal spy: blending in with the locals in his burgundy Ute, sunscreen pulled down to conceal the furtive glances, nonstop ranting about evil Yanks and such.

I imagine the Norks figured the indoctrination process would be just too painful ... for them.

obgraham
22nd Nov 2014, 02:29
Sounds like those dogs are getting hungry again -- it's been almost a year, you know.

Dushan
22nd Nov 2014, 03:21
Maybe the burgundy ute with its brakes in pristine condition due to infrequent use and its shifter overide switch is a bit too sophisticated for average NK use which is more used to Moscwitch knockoffs.

tdracer
23rd Nov 2014, 00:54
One would think he'd make the ideal spy
What makes you so sure he isn't? It would explain a few things :E

Dushan
30th Nov 2014, 15:52
Speaking of spying, and such, it looks like the little fat Un hacked into the SONY servers to download the latest movies.

Sony looks for possible N. Korea link in hacking incident -report | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/29/sony-cybersecurity-northkorea-idUSL2N0TJ0F320141129)

John Hill
1st Dec 2014, 07:25
I hope this goes well, especially as it is something I predicted some time ago.

Reforming North Korea - Opinion - Al Jazeera English (http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/11/reforming-north-korea-20141117121917871925.html)

chuks
1st Dec 2014, 08:37
John, you seem to have missed something when you have been examining those chicken guts, or whatever it is you use instead of facts for your predictions.

According to the article you cite, North Korea has a "bad track record" and a "dubious reputation" when it comes to deals, yet you were quite adamant that they have been "reliable." Which is it, please?

I think that any gains, however slight, must come off as a big improvement compared to the disaster that is North Korea. What is 200% of SFA?

pvmw
1st Dec 2014, 10:56
Six charts that show how North Korea became the most miserable place on earth - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/11260650/Six-charts-that-show-how-North-Korea-became-the-most-miserable-place-on-earth.html)

Dushan
1st Dec 2014, 12:23
Nice picture of Fat Un with a baby sheep. Who is the fellow holding it? John?