PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Real Estate Agent

OFSO
19th Nov 2014, 13:24
Heard the following story today.

An elderly gent in a nearby town had a stroke two days ago and was whipped off to hospital in a very serious condition, so much so that his daughter came up from Barcelona to be with him.

A month or so earlier he had spoken of selling his house here and said he'd not take less than €450,000.

A day after his stroke a local estate agent turned up and offered €360,000 for the house to the family members there. When it was pointed out that this was rather less than the householder was asking, he said "Cash ! I can have it here in thirty minutes !"

Cash deals are still not uncommon here, but also not uncommon is just after you've taken receipt of the cash two or three large and uncharming gentlemen from Chechnia burst in and run off with it.

Anyway, the daughter said "No, we are going to sell the house ourselves."

The estate agent then said "I have a contract with your father which says if he changes his mind and does not sell the house via my agency, he will pay me €40,000 in default."

The daughter, who unbeknownst to the real estate agent is a top lawyer in Barcelona, looked at the 'contract' and said "that is not my father's signature, you or someone in your employ has forged my father's signature on an official contract, and I shall be taking this document to the Fiscalia (Public Prosecutor) in Barcelona and laying charges against you".

Whereupon the real estate agent snatched the document from the daughters hands, ripped it to shreds, stuffed the remnants back in his pocket, and departed in haste.

The real estate agent, BTW, was a member of the Town Council until recently, which I think will surprise nobody having dealings with Spanish Town Halls. I believe the phrase "he was never refused planning permission" springs to mind.

OFSO
19th Nov 2014, 19:37
One local Spanish practice:

a) New mayor gets elected
b) Shortly after he exchanges his plebmobile for a Porsche Cayenne

'Nuff said.

SpringHeeledJack
19th Nov 2014, 20:47
Without wishing to castigate all Spaniards, I have noticed a general desire to 'get one over' on non-family/friends/countrymen in varying situations from the good citizens. I wonder where this originates from ? It can't be good for anyone, yet it continues….. :confused:

SHJ

bcgallacher
22nd Nov 2014, 03:35
It is built in to the buggers - have a look at ex Spanish colonies,corrupt beyond belief. I live some of the year in a country that was a Spanish colony for 4 hundred years and have become intimately knowledgable of the way it works. As colonists at least the British left some countries with good honest governance.

Hydromet
22nd Nov 2014, 04:43
BCG, some might say they left us all they had.;)

Low Flier
22nd Nov 2014, 05:20
It is built in to the buggers - have a look at ex Spanish colonies,corrupt beyond belief. I live some of the year in a country that was a Spanish colony for 4 hundred years and have become intimately knowledgable of the way it works.

That'd be Texas.:}