PDA

View Full Version : "......and then press 2...."

pvmw
18th Nov 2014, 16:18
for about the last 3 months I have arrived home several times a week to find the answerphone flashing to indicate a new message has arrived. On pressing play I get a recorded message of a female voice that says;

".....and then press two to speak to an advisor"

........after which she hangs up. Dialling 1471 doesn't help, as the number is withheld. It is mildly irritating, but worse is that I actually now want to know who/what it is who are so incompetent.

mikedreamer787
18th Nov 2014, 16:22
Probably a coded message intended for your missus..? :suspect:

mixture
18th Nov 2014, 16:23
pvmw,

The number is only witheld from you, the subscriber.

At SS7 interconnect level, there are two caller-IDs, one presented to the subscriber and one for network use.

If this is proving to be a persistent problem for you, then you can ask your provider to look through their logs and ID the caller.

They probably won't be able to release caller ID to you, but they should be able to file a complaint on your behalf with the caller's provider.

You should also make sure your phone number is on the TPS list (I assume you are UK by your mention of "1471") , not guaranteed to help, but might ....

You can also file a complaint with the ICO.

rgbrock1
18th Nov 2014, 16:31
It's Microsoft. And they want you to allow them to take control of your computer because they've identified a virus on it. :}

OFSO
18th Nov 2014, 16:32
...whereupon you will discover the call originates from overseas and is outside the provenance of the UK 'authorities', hence nothing can be done.

goudie
18th Nov 2014, 16:34
I've had similar calls several times. Normally I put the phone down straight away but when I listened further the caller said ''if you wish to un-subscribe to these calls then press 3''. This I did but not sure if it'll work.

G-CPTN
18th Nov 2014, 16:37
These are calls from cold-calling firms dealing with everything from PPI through 'free insulation' and 'free windows' or kitchens to solar panels.

They don't permit their number to be revealed because they don't want to receive calls from punters when they haven't anticipated having staff available.

As someone who is frequently at home I have become accustomed to receiving these unsolicited calls.

Undoubtedly made from hot-house call centres by agency workers - maybe even working from home - although the initial call is recorded (and thereby automatic).

I have never been tempted to 'Press 2'.
Sometimes they offer 'Press 8 to be removed from the calling list'.

rgbrock1
18th Nov 2014, 16:48
OFSO wrote:

whereupon you will discover the call originates from INDIA and is outside the provenance of the UK 'authorities', hence nothing can be done.

There, I went and fixed it for you OFSO. And you know I'm right. :E:}

Sallyann1234
18th Nov 2014, 16:54
Usual problem.

Usual answer: trueCall (http://www.truecall.co.uk)

G-CPTN
18th Nov 2014, 17:08
If you take the call, then you can immediately end it.

If you hear it on the answerphone, just ignore it and get on with life.

End of.

It's not as if anyone has been prowling around your house when you weren't there - you missed an unsolicited spamcall . . .

pvmw
18th Nov 2014, 17:18
Hm!!!

I think perhaps some people are reading too much into this. I only really posted it to amuse. The point is it isn't a cold call as such (well OK, it is but..), rather that it is a message left on the answerphone. Most cold callers don't bother to leave messages - but to leave only the last few phrases is somewhat incompetent.

rgbrock1
18th Nov 2014, 17:26
but to leave only the last few phrases is somewhat incompetent.

They probably started babbling before the answering machine kicked in which is why you only hear the last bit. :ok:

wings folded
18th Nov 2014, 17:26
Automated cold callers appear to fire up the answering device, but their inane message is almost over by the time the machinery starts to record.

You can enter 9 or 5 or 2,000,897 to be taken off their list; it makes no difference.

G-CPTN If you are awaiting an urgent call to do with perhaps health problems in your entourage, it does wreck that brief window of your life when you hear "Listen carefully to this public service announcement... blah, blah.

Gonads, hanging and lampost (nearest) tend to spring to mind

bugged on the right
18th Nov 2014, 17:42
Somebody has produced a new database because I am getting several a day. Having read all the ppruners' methods of dealing with them I use the method which costs them time and money. The latest is the silent call. Nobody calls during the day so all calls I get are unwanted. If it is a silent one I hesitate before answering and if it's a human they will usually start the spiel. If I don't hear anything I wait. Their software also waits. Had them on the line for a couple of minutes before they auto disconnect. Wish I could reply with 240V. I'm easily entertained.

OFSO
18th Nov 2014, 18:07
from INDIA

Here in Spain it isn't India, it's S. America. Language, obviously. I just answer in Catalan which none of 'em speak, and they go away. Or I shout curses in Arabic, very satisfying.

rgbrock1
18th Nov 2014, 18:33
bugged wrote:

Had them on the line for a couple of minutes before they auto disconnect. Wish I could reply with 240V. I'm easily entertained.

I had one too many "Microsoft" employees calling from India about problems with my PC (we own Macs. No PC's.) until I started keeping a shrill whistle next to my phone. Which was quite fun to employ. Word must have gotten around though because we no longer receive calls from "Microsoft" employees from India.

Too many ruptured ear drums perhaps? :}:ok::E:ok:

Dushan
18th Nov 2014, 19:44
It's Microsoft. And they want you to allow them to take control of your computer because they've identified a virus on it. :}

I had a few of those. I jerked them around for 45 minutes as they tried "Gotomypc" and a half dozen other, similar, services while my code never quite matched the one they were entering. I probably misread it:E

rgbrock1
18th Nov 2014, 19:58
Dushan wrote:

I had a few of those. I jerked them around for 45 minutes as they tried "Gotomypc" and a half dozen other, similar, services while my code never quite matched the one they were entering. I probably misread it

Good one that Dushan! :ok::D

bugged on the right
18th Nov 2014, 20:16
My computer is always off when they call and my record for booting up is 14 minutes. Then the darned thing does that blue screen thing and I have to re boot. They're gone by then.

Hydromet
18th Nov 2014, 20:52
RGB's method works for me.

G&T ice n slice
18th Nov 2014, 22:33
ring ring, ring ring
pickup
me : silence
Them : hello is that Mr Srwishcght (or something equally not understandable)
me : comms centre state your code
Them: hello I'm so-and-so from
me : (talking over them) that is an invalid response, 2 attempts remaining, comms centre state your code
Them : Oh ah sorry I'm so-and-so from
me : (talking over them) that is an invalid response, 1 attempt remaining, comms centre state your code
Them : umm is that a residential number
me : (talking over them) that is an invalid response, final attempt remaining, comms centre state your code
Them : I need to speak to the householder
me : (talking over them) that is an invalid response, no further attempts remaining, comms centre closing down
(hangs up)

So far this has worked a treat and now nothing (touch wood) coming in

One has to practice the dead, disinterested, flat monotone of the typical US border agency employee for optimal results

G-CPTN
18th Nov 2014, 22:41
I just keep repeating "Hello?" until they get the message that 'I cannot hear them'.

Alternatively, I repeat exactly what they say.

Loose rivets
19th Nov 2014, 00:14
I must have told the story of 40 minutes with an Indian gentleman where I couldn't press x and x cos I'd only got one finger. He wanted $748 to fix my Windows. That gasp was genuine.

Coming home from London last week I had a call from a man with a north country accent. He told me I could get money back from my bank. I said, Not interested. I then said, I need you to hang up. I then let a year's worth of rage escape. (it's alright, I was 'hands free', though I would have throttled him if he'd been there.) Anyway, I used him to vent my spleen. The vile mauve vitriol was ported away over the air waves and my brain chemistry altered for the better. Eeee by gum, that felt good, thinks I.

That wasn't very nice Sir. Now, we have a good track record of getting funds back from the banks. Sometimes we get two or three thousand pounds back for . . .

I do believe I met my match on that dark drive home.

Dushan
19th Nov 2014, 00:46
I just keep repeating "Hello?" until they get the message that 'I cannot hear them'.

Alternatively, I repeat exactly what they say.

I usually say "I can't understand you" and they reply "can you hear me now". I repeat, "I can hear you fine, I just can't understand you"

ExSp33db1rd
19th Nov 2014, 08:57
If female ask them what colour knickers are they wearing ?

( nothing queer about me, Carruthers )

Ancient Mariner
19th Nov 2014, 09:46
Here in Vikingland I can enter a government agency web site, select the appropriate meny, then I have two choices:
No sales calls? Click
No charity calls? Click.
Problems solved, except for those calling from abroad, but I haven't had any in years. It's not rocket science, but the the force must be with you.
Per

PS Does anyone actually have a fixed phone these days?

radeng
19th Nov 2014, 11:02
>Does anyone actually have a fixed phone these days? <

When something happens and there's no cellular service (system disabled because of terrorist threat or weather has taken down the site or some accident or whatever has produced so much traffic that it has overwhelmed the system or your cellphone is out of electricity and the power has failed) having a fixed 'phone line is useful.

With 49 years of making a living out of radio engineering, radio is NOT my first choice for totally reliable communication, although for some applications, it is the only viable one.

UniFoxOs
19th Nov 2014, 15:14
What Radeng said re radio - and at UFO Towers we would have to go outside to use a mobile due to poor signal.

Another vote for Truecall from me.