PDA

View Full Version : Lead shorts revival...

BlankBox
16th Nov 2014, 22:36
RADS ON A PLANE--THE RETURN FLIGHT: Regular readers of Spaceweather.com have been following the travels of Tony Phillips...(read on)

http://spaceweather.com/images2014/15nov14/comparison2.gif?PHPSESSID=4gra2b329e6nin6i8hgrkbbvk1

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids (http://spaceweather.com/)

...fly low...stay safe guys :{

11Fan
16th Nov 2014, 23:49
It's always exciting to witness the birth of a new phobia.

rh200
17th Nov 2014, 00:40
It's always exciting to witness the birth of a new phobia.

Someone should publish a complete list of all the day to day things that can increase your chance of catching cancer by 1/very big number. I suspect there would be a lot of people hiding under their bed.

That said, its always good to investigate risks and quantify it if possible, just so you know you can ignore it or take some mitigating action:p

ChristiaanJ
17th Nov 2014, 01:12
I smoked a pipe for about 60 years.
And yes, I did end up with a throat cancer (my fault, I'm not complaining).
A dose of somewhat more than a few uRad during about 10 hours, spread over about 40 days, dealt with it.
Admittedly localised, not "full-body". But maybe those odd incidental doses of radiation you are exposed to in your life kill as many cancer cells in your body as they damage healthy cells ?

radeng
17th Nov 2014, 08:33
>I suspect there would be a lot of people hiding under their bed.<

Until it was discovered that the dust under the bed causes lung or throat cancer.....or some other nasty disease.

Capetonian
17th Nov 2014, 08:41
Here you are :
www.tinfoilhatsetc.com (http://www.tinfoilhatsetc.com)
www.competesurvivalkitsfornutters.com

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2014, 08:42
No good hiding under the bed in my house radeng. Like a lot of houses in Cornwall (and elsewhere if you live on granite) we've got a fairly high level of radon gas.

Go outside to get away from the gas and the sun'll get you (not today, admittedly).

You can't win in the end, so may as well just enjoy life.

OFSO
17th Nov 2014, 09:57
Ah, but it's "bad radiation" which triggers the growth of tumours, and "good radiation" which is used to kill them off. Not sure how you tell the difference - is one red and the other green, or is there a funny small ?

MagnusP
17th Nov 2014, 10:08
TTN: you should move to Aberdeen. You still have the granite/radon problem, but at least if you go outside you're rarely likely to see the sun!

cattletruck
17th Nov 2014, 10:23
I carried my new Soeks dosimeter in my carry-on luggage to Europe this year, but after hearing their reading goes ballistic in flight and from the look of those around me I wasn't game enough to pull it out and switch it on.

rh200
17th Nov 2014, 10:56
Until it was discovered that the dust under the bed causes lung or throat cancer.....or some other nasty disease.

:E:E

You know what that means don't you. Theres a correlation between being alive and getting cancer. But I guess we can pull out the old correlation isn't necessarily causation trick:p

criticalmass
17th Nov 2014, 11:04
Scientists have discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

OFSO
17th Nov 2014, 12:47
Were the rats wearing lead shorts ? I think we should be told.

SpringHeeledJack
17th Nov 2014, 13:20
There was a regular Concorde passenger, as in 4 flights a week, who had a blanket with a hood made for him that was supposed to minimise the detrimental effects of celestial radiation at 60,000ft. A friend who was a purser for AF was only allowed so many flights per month by the airline due to the dangers of over-exposure. Those very northerly great circle routes are quite unfriendly to regular passengers (and crew :8)

SHJ

IBMJunkman
17th Nov 2014, 14:07
RADS ON A PLANE

Either a new Samuel L. Jackson movie or a good name for a band.

OFSO
17th Nov 2014, 14:08
Yo !

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/the-underpant-worn-by-the-rat1_zpsbc178349.jpg

IBMJunkman
17th Nov 2014, 15:06
If we are going to worry about radiation what about the stuff we are constantly in? Home/business WiFi (2.4 and 5 GHz), home phone cordless systems (900 MHz, 1.9, 2.4, 5.8 GHz), GPS sats (1.2, 1.5 GHz, 20 in view as I write this), microwave oven leakage (2.45 GHz), AM/FM radio, police/fire bands, etc.

Aargh, where is my Faraday cage 3 piece suit? :eek::eek:

SpringHeeledJack
17th Nov 2014, 16:24
If we are going to worry about radiation what about the stuff we are constantly in? Home/business WiFi (2.4 and 5 GHz), home phone cordless systems (900 MHz, 1.9, 2.4, 5.8 GHz), GPS sats (1.2, 1.5 GHz, 20 in view as I write this), microwave oven leakage (2.45 GHz), AM/FM radio, police/fire bands, etc.

There has been some research on this being the case, especially concerning WiFi on youngsters, mobile phone frequencies and power on the human body and the home cordless which due to one of it's frequencies and the length of usage interfering with the brain. A scientist of my acquaintance a few years back spelt it all out to me in detail (gone from my memory now, no doubt due to phone usage) and explained how although generally agreed upon, no-one was prepared to stick their head above the parapet to take on the might of the mega-industry of the communication companies.

SHJ

west lakes
17th Nov 2014, 16:36
And this is news, it was explained to me about 20 years ago but in easier terms

Trouble is the actual dosage is so low it isn't worth bothering about even for airline staff flying at maximum permitted hours!

con-pilot
17th Nov 2014, 17:59
After 42 year career of flying, 34 of them flying jet aircraft, I have just one question.

Why am I still alive and not dead from cancer?

Now what happened to that Chemtrail thread? :p

OFSO
17th Nov 2014, 18:12
Now what happened to that Chemtrail thread?

It was.....ah....vapourised

Keef
17th Nov 2014, 23:23
WiFi and the rest aren't ionising radiation, though, are they?

I acquired thyroid cancer (now removed in both senses) - the theory is that it resulted from my taste for Welsh salt marsh lamb, and the amount of "stuff" from Chernobyl that ended up in said lamb that year.

The last stage of the treatment was more of what caused the problem in the first place: a hefty dose of radioactive iodine. It was explained to me that a small dose can cause problems, but a large dose kills anything thyroid that eats it. 1100 megabecquerels and a few days in a lead-lined room (peace!) dealt with any stragglers. The danger was that someone getting a small amount of what I had could get cancer from it.

Capot
18th Nov 2014, 09:03
Why am I still alive and not dead from cancer?Oh God, sorry Con-Pilot, please spare us from questions about existential philosophy; Jetblast just isn't the place.

I'm going to be worrying about that for the rest of the week, now.

Sallyann1234
18th Nov 2014, 10:07
So what about those poor souls spending months up in earth orbit?
Must be quite a dose they are getting.

Argonautical
18th Nov 2014, 10:30
I believe that the radiation danger to the crew is the biggest stumbling block for a manned mission to Mars.

OFSO
18th Nov 2014, 13:58
the radiation danger to the crew is the biggest stumbling block for a manned mission to Mars

No the biggest stumbling block is the contracting Agency buying everything from the cheapest bidder. Especially staff.

Once upon a time a well-known American space agency had good permanent staff.

Then they put the manpower contract out to tender.

The firm that got the contract was - what else ? the one that put in the lowest bid.

Of course the staff they promised they had were all fictional: what they did was approach the by now out-of-work permanent staff and say "hey guys, we know you are out of work - like to do your old jobs but working for us ? Just one catch, mind, we had to put in a low bid to get this contract - and there are now management overheads, so we'll be paying you somewhat less than you used to get." Of course, most accepted.

Five years later, contract comes up for renewal. New firm puts in low bid, gets contract. Doesn't have any trained staff, but hey ! look here ! a bunch of guys out of work from the previous contractor. So here comes the same old spiel: "hey guys, we know you are out of work - like to do your old jobs but working for us ? Just one catch, mind, we had to put in a low bid to get this contract - and there are now even larger management overheads, so we'll be paying you somewhat less than you used to get." Of course, most accepted.

Five years later, contract comes up for renewal.....

And so on. I had a colleague working for Bendix contracted to NASA - he had gone through three of these five yearly renewals and every time his wages dropped.

So don't wonder why workers don't care and make mistakes. P*ssed off isn't the half of it. Not what you want when you are sitting in a few billion dollars Mission-to-Mars vehicle.

The radiation is the least of your worries.

Sallyann1234
18th Nov 2014, 15:11
Doesn't the US have an equivalent to TUPE ?

OFSO
18th Nov 2014, 17:21
Why am I still alive

I'd like to point out - very respectfully, but nevertheless point out - that we only have your word for this, Mr Pilot.

After all, the person who said much the same, bemoaning his state of existence, and going on to add "And then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side" was also hardly alive in the biological sense.

Just hope you are not some super AI running in a substrate somewhere in the US of A, claiming to be alive when you are not.

Caboclo
18th Nov 2014, 20:18
Bionic gun nuts?!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

con-pilot
18th Nov 2014, 20:30
I'd like to point out - very respectfully, but nevertheless point out - that we only have your word for this, Mr Pilot.

Well must admit, you have me there.

Am I alive?

Don't know for sure, I'll have to wait for my wife to come home and ask her, she knows everything.

jimtherev
18th Nov 2014, 22:07
I'll have to wait for my wife to come home and ask her, she knows everything. Don't you have a teenager handy, then?