PDA

View Full Version : Enthusiasts Shops

Airbanda
16th Nov 2014, 12:12
Are there still such emporia in the UK selling memorabilia, magazines/books, scanners old flight deck charts and such like?

The one a BHX appears to have closed with the old indoor viewing area. Visited EMA yesterday but apart from books it seems to cover little of the territory apart from models.

IIRC there were also one off fairs at or near LHR/LGW indeed in distant past I attended one at EMA.

FWIW it was charts I was after. UK AIP is on net so 'dromes and SIDs etc are easily accessible but cannot find others such as for North Atlantic showing FIR boundaries, entry/exit waypoints etc.

Albaman
16th Nov 2014, 15:01
On my occasional visits to Manchester Airport, I always visit the enthusiasts' shop on the ground floor of Terminal 1 . Over the years, the number and variety of charts has diminished and on my last visit, I asked the person in charge of the shop about this and, apparently, the person who supplied the charts is no longer at Manchester.

Regarding your enquiry about the Oceanic boundary points, if you google "Shanwick " , you should get some information which may assist you.

Incidentally, it would be interesting to know from individuals employed in the avaition industry if, with the introduction of electronic flight bags etc, paper charts are already starting to disappear from the flight deck.

Airbanda
16th Nov 2014, 17:10
Thanks Albaman.

I've recently fired up my Lowe HF250 Comms Receiver with view to listening to Shnawick, Santa Maria etc again. I have a chart form around 1998 but while the land and lat/long are unchanged there are new waypoints and some have gone.

If the link to 'Shanwick' allows me to update the points freehand on chart that's probably good enough.

DaveReidUK
16th Nov 2014, 17:36
A J Aviation Publishing | Books and model kits are our business! (http://ajaviation.co.uk/)

Reverserbucket
18th Nov 2014, 19:59
LHR still has an 'enthusiasts' shop although since the sad closing of the spectator's viewing area on the roof of T2 and the QB (and their subsequent demolition and replacement) it has relocated. It can be found on the western side of the Heathrow Airport Academy building between the Bath Road and Northern Perimeter Rd next to the Renaissance Hotel. There's a small covered spotter's platform as well overlooking the threshold to 500m of 27R IIRC.

srobarts
18th Nov 2014, 22:20
It can be found on the western side of the Heathrow Airport Academy building between the Bath Road and Northern Perimeter Rd next to the Renaissance Hotel.
Are these are the people you are referring to? Aviation Retail Direct - Worldwide supplier of quality aviation models, books and DVDs (http://www.aviationretaildirect.com/)

DaveReidUK
19th Nov 2014, 06:46
Are these are the people you are referring to? Aviation Retail Direct - Worldwide supplier of quality aviation models, books and DVDsYes.

About Us (http://www.aviationretaildirect.com/about-us/)

SpringHeeledJack
19th Nov 2014, 09:06
Is that Ian Allen(?) shop still around somewhere near LHR ? I think it was on the Great West Road on a corner of a parade. I came, by chance a few years back, to a rather good enthusiasts shop in a little village close to Amsterdam Schipol Airport that seemed to have everything that an enthusiast might desire. Zurich also had one if I remember next to the viewing terraces and possibly Frankfurt the same.

SHJ

joy ride
19th Nov 2014, 10:30
Godammit Airbanda and Dave Reid...I have a nasty feeling my wallet is going to get emptier!

lurkio
19th Nov 2014, 13:03
A quick google led me to this

http://www.theairlinepilots.com/forumarchive/areaprocedures/natops/nat.jpg

Seems to show most required info for north atlantic listening.

Duchess_Driver
19th Nov 2014, 19:58
Used to visit The Aviation Hobby Shop in West Drayton....

However www.tahs.com doesn't seem to be working for me from my current location.

Are they still around?

Facebook page says they are...

DaveReidUK
19th Nov 2014, 20:30
Are they still around?See post #4.

About AJ Aviation | A J Aviation Publishing (http://ajaviation.co.uk/about/)

KelvinD
19th Nov 2014, 22:09
Airbanda, try this link: SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts (http://skyvector.com/)
Click on World Hi (top right), zoom in the appropriate amount and you will see all the Atlantic way points, the boundary between Santa Maria & New York Oceanic etc.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Nov 2014, 10:05
<<Giggled scale mates >>

Sorry old bean..... don't understand your banter!

SpringHeeledJack
20th Nov 2014, 16:33
Giggled scale mates

I think that it's a jolly jape about Google, or alternatively a hatred for the company that promised to do no evil. Swapping an 'O' for an 'I' in simple terms. :8

SHJ

Big Eric
21st Nov 2014, 08:28
It's perfectly ordinary banter, Heathrow Director. Bally Jerry...pranged his kite right in the how's yer father...hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.

Davef68
22nd Nov 2014, 00:42
On my occasional visits to Manchester Airport, I always visit the enthusiasts' shop on the ground floor of Terminal 1 .

In spite of being a frequent Manchester flyer in recent years, I didn't know this existed! (Usually fly out T3) - will have to seek it out next visit.

The BHX one was never as good after Ian Allan pulled out. I must have spent a fortune there (I'm sure BA & Flybe delayed flights just to give me more browsing time!)

Heathrow08
22nd Nov 2014, 12:33
Is that Ian Allen(?) shop still around somewhere near LHR ? I think it was on the Great West Road on a corner of a parade.

I came, by chance a few years back, to a rather good enthusiasts shop in a little village close to Amsterdam Schipol Airport that seemed to have everything that an enthusiast might desire. Zurich also had one if I remember next to the viewing terraces and possibly Frankfurt the same.

SHJ

That was VHF Supplies on Nobel Corner, just opposite the Master Robert Hotel on the A4. They did sell a lot of Ian Allen books, but I don't know if there was any connection. (Years before that they were located near the RWY 23 threshold on the Bath Road.)

Sorry, long since closed, but see above post for the two similar shops near the airport.

wiggy
22nd Nov 2014, 19:36
it would be interesting to know from individuals employed in the avaition industry if, with the introduction of electronic flight bags etc, paper charts are already starting to disappear from the flight deck.

The transition across to the various forms of Electronic Flight bags is a slow and sometimes (very very) frustrating process but the answer to the question is ...Yes (sadly for collectors and the squirrels amongst us)

....Where I work our manuals ( FCOMs/Ops manual, or "pilot's notes" in old money) went almost fully electronic a few months ago, in fact everything apart from our QRH (Quick Reference Handbook, mostly emergency reference stuff) is electronic. All our navigational charting should be fully electronic, apart from some small scale oceanic/remote area charts, in the next few months, once our trial period is finally complete...:uhoh:.

Albaman
24th Nov 2014, 07:57
Many thanks to Wiggy for the information - much appreciated.