PDA

View Full Version : BOB on channel 5

TOWTEAMBASE
15th Nov 2014, 19:06
They don't make music in films like that any more.

Tankertrashnav
15th Nov 2014, 23:35
I remember when the film came out a lot of people thought that the Luftwaffe March which plays over the opening scene and credits was an original German march, when it was actually composed by Ron Grainer, who did nearly all the music for the film.

The English composer William Walton, who had composed the music for the film The First of the Few about R.J.Mitchell and the Spitfire in 1942, was commissioned to do the music for Battle of Britain only to have almost all his music rejected by the producer as being too "classical" in style. Lawrence Olivier, who played Dowding, threatened to have his name removed from the credits if some of Walton's music wasn't kept, and his very atmospheric piece called Battle in the Air which plays over a lengthy dogfight scene was retained. It is arguably the most effective music in the film.

As an aside, our whole nav course went from Gaydon to see the film in Birmingham when it first came out in 1969. Getting in the back of a Varsity the next day seemed a little tame, by comparison!

mikedreamer787
16th Nov 2014, 00:37
I don't really care for any form of music
in any flick, but I'd lie if I didn't say the
stuff in Battle of Britain was absolutely
superb.

Can't pinpoint the accompaniment of that
point in the flick where Major Brandt and
his nav are in Berlin (during the first two
minutes of below) -

Battle of Britain - You can call me "Meier" - YouTube

I'm sure I've heard it somewhere else so
I dunno if its a Grainer or Walton creation.

Low Flier
16th Nov 2014, 01:24
Did somebody just say "arsch"?

http://s3.postimg.org/5ma20mv8z/Mmoi.jpg

gileraguy
16th Nov 2014, 01:43
In the Special Features on the DVD, it explains how the sound of the engines was recorded using microphones mounted on balloons....

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Nov 2014, 09:40
There were some lovely recollections of making the film by one of the pilots on R4 some years ago. One that sticks in my mind is a day that dawned quite unflyable with a forecast of no improvement, so they went to the pub. At 3:30 the phone rang; it was the producer; "the weather's cleared up, get down here and get flying".

Next day they were going through the 'rushes' with the producer who was saying "now this is the sort of flying I wanted from the start. Why haven't you flown like this before?".

One of the pilots whispered "but we didn't fly yesterday. We got plastered in the pub instead".

"Oh yes we did", said his mate. "You were my wing man!".

treadigraph
16th Nov 2014, 09:41
'Twas Ron Goodwin rather than Ron Grainer.

Think my copy of the BoB DVD has an option to play the film with the Walton score.

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2014, 10:12
Yes of course it was , treadigraph, I should have checked :ugh: At least I didnt attribute it to Ronnie Corbett! I didn't know a version of the film with the Walton score was available. I'm going to dig around and see if any of it has found its way onto YouTube

I don't really care for any form of music in any flick,

Mike, I think if you were able to listen to a film with the music omitted, if that were possible, you would be surprised how much your enjoyment of the film was diminished, although I admit it can be overdone at times. Btw the piece you refer to in Berlin is part of Goodwin's original score for the film.

mikedreamer787
16th Nov 2014, 17:53
'Twas Ron Goodwin rather than Ron Grainer.Thanks Treads. Mine is Ron Goodwin.

My copy has Winston's reference to The Few at the very end, whereas I've seen ones with his reference to the end of the North Africa campaign ("The End of The Beginning" etc) with different (and IMO misplaced) music.

I think my copy's better. Apart from the ending mine has the He111 upper gunner copping a Spit's .303 in the eyball whereas the other one doesn't.

True Mr Tanker about the music. While the Merlin sounds (music in itself) were accurate I'm sure JU87 Jumos didn't sound like anything like that in the movie (but they got the siren right).

Still, as mentioned, I've heard that music before but can't place it - unless I'm confusing it with similar music by Strauss.