PDA

View Full Version : Eric 'Winkle' Brown - caution aviation content

Sallyann1234
14th Nov 2014, 10:56
BBC News - Eric 'Winkle' Brown: The man who seemed not to notice danger (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30039300)

Trossie
14th Nov 2014, 11:04
Desert Island Discs was very interesting this morning.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Nov 2014, 11:10
What a character! No mention of the Miles M52 debacle, though I doubt Wincle carries any grudges over that.

Did he say he'd bought a Peugeot sports car? That's an oxymoron, surely? ;)

Mallan
14th Nov 2014, 11:11
What more would one expect from the Senior Service.

Blacksheep
14th Nov 2014, 12:24
As his boss said when he returned from making the first (successful) carrier landing of a twin engined bomber on an aircraft carrier.

Loose rivets
14th Nov 2014, 12:31
Just called a pal (telecine guy) in Colchester who filmed Winkle giving a speech in 2008 at the Reform Club. Sadly, his contract did not allow taking a copy for his records. :uhoh: However, he was able to say that the speech seemed to include a lot more 'exciting moments' than the TV production put out.

He had a chance to talk to the man and found him very likable. Eric said he was off to Edinburgh to receive an honorary degree, and my pal said, yes, I know, I'll be filming it. I'm quite envious - I would have loved to meet him.

Again, I'll mention James Hamilton-Paterson's book, Empire of the Clouds. A beautifully written work that brings the post war test flying era alive.

ISBN 978-0-571-24794-3

603DX
14th Nov 2014, 13:28
As a frequent listener to the Desert Island Discs programme I thoroughly enjoyed the 3,000th broadcast today, Eric Brown was an inspired choice for this landmark edition. Like many other PPRuNers I have his famous book "Wings on My Sleeve", a very welcome birthday gift from my son, so already had some knowledge of "Winkle's" remarkable career. Yet still he came out with anecdotes new to me, and maybe also to other fascinated listeners.

The high-spirited three loops executed in a Seafire round the spans of the Forth railway bridge were a revelation, yet typically he got clean away with the forbidden offence, by sheer cheek and the difficulties of identification! And his singing "At Last" with the Glen Miller band was another surprise, together with several of his music choices, Artie Shaw, Rod Stewart and Glen Miller numbers included. My kind of music, so the programme time just flew by ... :)

This splendid programme, featuring an extraordinary man, more than compensated for the gross error of the BBC earlier this year in basing one edition on that monstrous individual Russell Brand, when I almost bust my radio in my haste to switch it off when I realised who it was. Ughhh! :eek:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Nov 2014, 13:57
And let's not forget that bumtious self-important tw-at Eddie Mayer of R4's 'PM' who took the pi55 out of a Wincle piece last year in the most juvenile manner.

Sallyann1234
14th Nov 2014, 15:12
Link for the iPlayer recording of the programme:

BBC - Desert Island Discs - Castaway : Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/d01755cf#b04nvgq1)

(May or may not be subject to regional access restrictions)

Wingswinger
15th Nov 2014, 12:18
Listened to it this morning. What a life! I am, however, left wondering that I hadn't heard of him before his recent exposure on the BBC. Back in the 50s and 60s test pilots were almost household names: Derry; Duke, Donaldson; Cunningham; Twiss; Beaumont et al. But these were company men testing newly developed military aircraft being touted on a world market whereas 'Winkle' was a serving officer. Still, he's up there with them and beyond. We will not see his like again.

beaufort1
15th Nov 2014, 12:27
What I find incredibly galling, is that people like Eric 'Winkle' Brown aren't feted and appearing on prime time TV on a Saturday evening and shown to our younger generation as someone to aspire to. Instead we have so called 'celebrities' on awful 'talentless shows'.:ugh::ugh:

603DX
15th Nov 2014, 13:09
I think I understand your sentiments beaufort1, but I have an instinctive feeling that he would absolutely hate exposure on that sort of worthless, meretricious platform.

Men of his quality have consistently been highly valued in much grander circles than those flibbertigibbet arenas. As anyone who has read his remarkable book "Wings On My Sleeve" will know, he has been sought out by royalty, senior servicemen and statesmen on the international stage for most of his adult life. He has no need of any insincere accolades from those who are themselves without genuine merit or tangible abilities ...

Loki
15th Nov 2014, 13:25
Surprised somewhat, that he wasn't knighted, or made an admiral of some sort, given his contribution.

CISTRS
15th Nov 2014, 13:40
He said himself on Desert Island Discs, that he was a cautious and prudent pilot - not a "kick the tyres and fly" type of pilot.

He is the ultimate example of old pilots and bold pilots...

Test Pilots need to be thorough and analytical.

And he knew when to stop.